New
Find
Notify
Tools

handgun grip Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted
just saw a video on facebook from a "tactical" guy demonstrating his preferred handgun grip. His non-dominant hand is up really high with the thumb mashed against the slide. I'm thinking his right hand/dominant thumb was also against the slide instead of just below the slide.

Is this really the preferred grip nowdays ? I was never taught that at any of the three schools I've been to...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Yeah, pistol grip as high as you can is one of the developing styles made popular by competitive shooters like Bob Vogel.

Techniques evolve over time. Not too long ago, people were supporting their wrists or tea cupping the grip from underneath.

I ride both of my thumbs pretty high up, getting as much of my off-hand onto the frame, not just the grip panel, but still not as high up as some of the videos show.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Does it bother the slide?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Yeah, pistol grip as high as you can is one of the developing styles made popular by competitive shooters like Bob Vogel.

Someone posted a link to one of his videos here awhile back. I tried his grip style and I will say that for me it seems to work much better. Wound up having to order a more forward slide release for my Glock though because my thumb was preventing the side from locking back after the last round.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
His non-dominant hand is up really high with the thumb mashed against the slide. I'm thinking his right hand/dominant thumb was also against the slide instead of just below the slide.

Without having seen the video you are referring to, it is hard to provide an accurate comment/explanation. Generally speaking the thumbs are not in contact with the slide.

quote:
Is this really the preferred grip nowdays ? I was never taught that at any of the three schools I've been to...

Which schools have you attended?
How long ago?

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I shoot using a 2-handed thumbs forward grip with a semi-auto, my left thumb is pointing forward alongside the frame under the slide and my right thumb is laid across the base of the thumb. I try not to let my thumbs touch anything, or at least exert any force to the gun, and rely on my palms and fingers to encircle the grip frame. I do try to get my right hand up as high as possible under the grip tang.

I found this picture on the interwebs that looks like how I grip the gun:

With thumbs any higher I'd worry about them potentially causing drag on the slide, maybe even enough to cause a malfunction.

However, I'm not high-speed/low-drag, LE, mil, instructor, etc., so take my post for what it's worth.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were taught the higher grip at a shooting academy I attended this May for a week.
It did NOT seem to affect the slide in any way or the function of the gun, However, running all guns this was does not seem to work.

Keeping you right thumb on top of the safety is tough as some safeties are quite high. Oh, you could put a different safety on the gun or sell your gun as the lead instructor insinuated.
Also, my auto has a factory laser grip on it. While using the higher grip, I was not able to get my grip safety to release. Yeah, I could take it to a gunsmith and have it worked on, or sell the gun as the lead instructor insinuated.

As far as shooting results with this grip, it really works well...if you gun will allow it.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
In the video, his thumbs were higher than picture posted. His demonstration showed him releasing lower part of hands and showing that thumbs were pressed against the slide.

Re: schools, first was carry class, from local store; second was 2 day defensive handgun at frontsite about 15 yrs ago; third was last year, armed guard class w/ traveling national trainer.

------------------
SBrooks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
Without having seen the video you are referring to, it is hard to provide an accurate comment/explanation. Generally speaking the thumbs are not in contact with the slide.

This is the Bob Vogel grip video I was referencing, not sure if it's the same as the OP is talking about.

http://preparedgunowners.com/2...-the-best-grip-ever/

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 71 with aging eyes, I use a grip like the photo. I've come to use my thumbs as a kind of sight line. I may not hit the Bulls, but nothing could survive the thumb groupings. Smile

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Results beat anyone's version of right and wrong every time.

While it was the only time I did it, when I shot bullseye I shot with my strong hand thumb straight up in the air.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Results beat anyone's version of right and wrong every time.

While it was the only time I did it, when I shot bullseye I shot with my strong hand thumb straight up in the air.

Hahaha, well that tops me! Like the old movie westerns where a man would lick his thumb & wipe the front site! Smile!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
His tips and tricks worked for me.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:

This is the Bob Vogel grip video I was referencing, not sure if it's the same as the OP is talking about.

If it is, Bob's thumbs aren't putting pressure on the slide

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Generally I shoot high thumb, riding the slide. The callus on my thumb and the wear on my slides prove it. Wink

But it doesn't make bad things happen like some doom and gloom folks with predict.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
At 71 with aging eyes, I use a grip like the photo. I've come to use my thumbs as a kind of sight line. I may not hit the Bulls, but nothing could survive the thumb groupings. Smile

Very nice. Ha !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Generally I shoot high thumb, riding the slide. The callus on my thumb and the wear on my slides prove it. Wink

But it doesn't make bad things happen like some doom and gloom folks with predict.

Thanks - that is what I was wondering.

------------------
SBrooks

posted Hide Post
A comment about grips.
Most of the photos here show guys whose hands are very large and who have very long fingers.
I have large hands but my fingers are not very long.
There is little point in me trying to do the kind of all encompassing wrap around hold, my hands simply are not large enough.

I have to work with the hands I have and the grip simply won't work for me.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried the Vogel grip, but it just doesn't work for me. My support hand ends up interfering with my trigger finger.

quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
A comment about grips.
Most of the photos here show guys whose hands are very large and who have very long fingers.
I have large hands but my fingers are not very long.
There is little point in me trying to do the kind of all encompassing wrap around hold, my hands simply are not large enough.

I have to work with the hands I have and the grip simply won't work for me.

FWIW, I have smallish hands, probably somewhere between a small and medium glove size. The grip in the picture I posted works well for me with my Beretta 92FS, and the Glock 23 I used to have.

But yeah, people have different hands, not just in terms of size but "architecture" (for lack of a better word). At the same time, if you haven't tried it how do you know it won't work for you?

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Handgun grip,

another take....

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/whats-wrong-grip/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post