SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Small 15,000 Acre Fire
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Small 15,000 Acre Fire Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
well, what started out as a small 50 acre fire about 48 hours ago quickly went to 1300 acres last night - woke up this morning and its over 5000 acres in size and is 0% contained

watched it come up the ridge last night and crested about 9PM - could see the flames come down the south side of the hill

the ridge is about 6 miles as the crow flies from my house

saw the first water bomber doing its run - going to try to grab a few photos

we could really use a bit of rain

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhtagmember,

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Started by fireworks?

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
haven't heard the cause yet

was outside in my driveway watching a water bomber circling around and dropping is payload...

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when you moved in, did the local fire dept. contact you about clearing your yard of flammable plants?

It used to be 60 feet away.

do you have a gasoline pump to use your pool water as an extinguisher ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where are you? We can see the flights dropping loads on the Goodwin fire ( Dewey ) from our back yard. They have over 1000 personnel fighting this fire, have over 50% containment burned 27k acres so far. Have just relocated from the northeast last year and did not have a perspective on how dangerous and frequent and fast spreading fires are in the region!

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am in the eastern edge of Tucson - just outside the city limits at the base of Mt. Lemmon

they just issued an evac order for Lemmon and the highway is closed, the other fire at Reddington is closed at mile marker 2

not sure how many fire fighters are around these two but I've seen two bombers in the pattern

I am on city water with good pressure - have 200 feet of hose available, my yard is desert with no scrub (can't say the same for my neighbors) but I am probably OK from a small spark perspective - a flat roof which I cleaned off today so there is nothing on it

I was a bit nervous watching it come over the hill last night and then today once the wind shifted and smoke cleared to see how much burned overnight

posted Hide Post
If you don't already know;

Inciweb.com Burro Fire

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thanks for the link - was not aware of that web site

posted Hide Post
There are more links on the right side of the screen that are localized to your area. I watch inciweb.com religiously this time of the year, living in the Kiabab National Forest.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Clearing your yard of combustibles (for fires) is just as important as clearing it of vegetation (for rattlers). One task does both.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
thanks for the link - was not aware of that web site

The main AZ wildland fire site has links to all active fires in AZ. From browsing the info of the different fires, many are being started by lightning. One genius near Bagdad started one by burning his trash.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
well it has almost tripled in size since yesterday - now estimated at 14,500 acres

was watching water bombers yesterday and I am guessing they're either trying to surround un-burned areas with retardant or its really out of control

smoke is blowing the other direction this morning - you know its there because the air smells like BBQ Smile

a bit of soot and ash in the pool to get skimmed out

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Hope you're OK, fires are one of the scariest things.

We have fire a going north of us, started by a homeowner burning weeds. It's 65,000 acres as of last night. We need rain, too!!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
we need rain as well - haven't had any in almost 8 months - they say monsoon season is close but humidities are so low here its not likely to help in the near term

Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

As you hear updates about the fire, there are some terms you want to clearly understand...

Controlled
For a fire to be called “controlled,” firefighters need to have removed any unburnt fuel and cooled down all hot spots adjacent to control lines to the point that they can reasonably be expected to hold.

Contained
When firefighters say a fire is “contained” a control line has been completed around the fire which can reasonably be expected to stop the fire’s spread.

Out
A fire is considered “out” when NO hot spots are detected within containment lines for at least 48 hours.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
http://www.kgun9.com/news/loca...grows-to-14000-acres

posted Hide Post
I sure hope this fire gets put under control quickly.Hang in there.

Posts: 12660 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
I'm on Catalina hwy near the base of the mountain. I saw a brush truck today from glacier national park, they must be bringing in help from wherever they can get it.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2245 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I was watching the local news a few nights ago when the fire up near Prescott was burning pretty much uncontrolled. There's a converted 747 that was sitting at Marana waiting for the call to come help. The plane has been used to fight fires in South America, but isn't certified for that duty here in the US. The state is worried that they won't get reimbursed for it's use by the Feds since it isn't certified. Basically it can carry and dump twice the fire retardant than any other aircraft.

The stupid, it burns!

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
they have been flying modified DC10's here loading up in Mesa, and just around sunset tonight I saw a Sikorsky Sky Crane flying out of the area