SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fatal Shooting : You can go to jail or you can go to the morgue NSFW
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fatal Shooting : You can go to jail or you can go to the morgue NSFW Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Anyone else tired of the family of the suspect trying to make their career criminal family member sound like the next Nobel prize winner and blaming the police for scaring them too much?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I feel like after all these years and news articles, even if I didnt speaka english, cops yelling = put hands up slowly and turn around.

Nice police work there. chihuahua did crack me up. "oh shit".

How do you get caught by the family and not run away before the popo shows up? I think jljones is right.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Anyone else tired of the family of the suspect trying to make their career criminal family member sound like the next Nobel prize winner and blaming the police for scaring them too much?

One vote from me.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
He was clearly fishing in his nasty little pocketses for something. The police are not required to wait to see if it is a ring of power, a pistol, or some Skittles A snickers bar

Fify

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Either that kid was mentally slow as fuck, or that was a suicide by cop.

That's gotta be a thing by now. Get into a confrontation with the police, ignore commands until you get a bunch of guys pointing guns at you, then make a sudden movement and hope you get shot. Then you or your estate files a lawsuit against the department, probably getting a quick settlement out of it. Roll the dice on actually surviving the shoot. Ghetto lottery.

I don't think it's that at all. These fucks have no respect for and do not fear the Police. They do not think that the Police will actually shoot. Fuck the Police. They ain't shit. That's what they are taught from the get go and it get's worse when they get older. They are never held accountable for what they do. No Daddy, no one to tell them how to behave, what to do or not to do other than the other jagoffs they hang around with. They think they are better,smarter and certainly better athletically speaking than anyone else. Factor in the way society treats them as if they were actually victims and bends over backwards not to offend them and this type of behavior is the end result. Remember, it's always the rest of us that are wrong, never them.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
"Roshawna Carter, Smith’s mother has seen the video, and says her son didn’t have enough time to react."

Sure he did. He had all day to either be at work or in school. That's plenty of time.

It's almost -or exactly like- some people have no concept of obedience to anything or any authority...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
He reacted wrongly.

Next...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Roshawna Carter, Smith’s mother has seen the video, and says her son didn’t have enough time to react."

On the contrary. He had the rest of his life.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

So, three police officers all repeatedly telling you to get your hands up is too confusing to understand?

What is confusing is the stress of knowing you were caught breaking and entering and, at the least, are about to get hauled off to jail. Lots of people aren't good under that kind of pressure.

Not just B&E. One news outlet says he was the suspect of a cell phone store robbery.
quote:
Officers found two cell phones at that house. Investigators haven’t determined whether the cell phones came from the robbed store.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/20...-of-20-year-old-man/

Note the news article used the term "robbed store," and not me. "Robbed store" I would have to assume means robbery, or it's poor news writing.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10909 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Think this gives some insight into the behavior:

"Sometimes, it’s just the sense of over-policing in their neighborhoods which leads many of these young black men to suspect the worst in cops — that they’re their enemy, not friend.

And so many times, they resist arrest.

“Why are you telling me to comply if I am not doing anything wrong,?” Shanel Berry questioned in an interview with The New York Times about the rub her and her family has with law enforcement.

Of her sons: “I am trying to teach them to be men, but at the same time I am telling them to back down and not be who they are,” she said of their interactions with law enforcement.

There’s a subtle undertone here — that you should only comply with law enforcement if you believe you’ve done something wrong. Additionally, if you don’t stand up to them, you’re less of a man.

This sort of attitude is making its way into the streets of urban cities — where cops are increasingly being resisted just for doing their jobs. It’s through this resistance that many cases — like Eric Garner’s in New York, or Michael Brown’s in Ferguson — get escalated. In the split-second the officer has to react (in many times to defend himself), often then leads to second-guessing: Was the use of force too much; should more officers been called in; how could the situation been diffused before it even started?

The experienced cops, with more time on the beat and better training, generally handle the situations better. A young, green cop, may often overreact. He’s scared too, after all.

Heather Mac Donald, who wrote of the crime in the streets of Chicago in the Wall Street Journal, said: “Police officers who try to intervene in this disorder [gang, street crime] often face virulent pushback.

” ‘People are a hundred times more likely to resist arrest,’ a police officer who has worked a decade and a half on the South Side told me. ‘People want to fight you; they swear at you. ‘F– the police, we don’t have to listen,’ they say. I haven’t seen this kind of hatred towards the police in my career,’ ” Ms. Mac Donald reported."

https://www.washingtontimes.co...cultural-difference/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:

{snip}

Um, the subject of this thread was being chased for robbery of a cell phone store (according to the link I posted above). Michael Brown was pushing around some shopkeeper.

I'm somehow missing the point on this article that you posted.
Once someone commits robbery, it puts them is a different category, and being "nice" is off the table.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10909 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
How many of these idiots that make it on the news would be alive if they just heeded the lawful orders of police.
All of them would survive that confrontation--don't know about later ones....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Dope.

Would be my guess. Meth to be exact. ...

I asked an American Fork, Utah police officer the other day what drug he sees most often in his patrols. "Meth." he said if its kids, then it's weed, but overall the most common drug he sees is meth. And we're about 30 minutes south of West Valley where the shooting took place.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
that dog coming out of the door cracked me up. "woah, shit."
Yep, that part totally cracked me up given the officer's response.

As for the "round recipient", I've begun putting these people into a new category I call...Too Stupid To Live. He will not be missed.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Had he not been commiting a crime in the first place, then confusion and reaction speed under pressure wouldn't be an issue. Smile
Oh contrare. When your IQ hovers just beneath room temp (as this nitwits obviously did), and you have utter contempt for the law and police, nothing said in the king's English will work on these morons. Maybe the cops should be re-educated to use ghetto linguistics in dealing with these yutes. Wink

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of her sons: “I am trying to teach them to be men, but at the same time I am telling them to back down and not be who they are,” she said of their interactions with law enforcement.
And there you have the roots of the problem. First, women can't teach boys to be men, only men can. And where are they? Either gone or in jail. And second, bucking the man with the badge and the gun is just stupid, but we've got a whole generation or two who only know stupid.

My Foxhound Louie is brighter than these nitwits, and knows without any doubt not to bite the hand that feeds him.

Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Maybe the cops should be re-educated to use ghetto linguistics in dealing with these yutes. Wink

I have several good friends that are in major cities' "interesting" detective units. In terms of compliance, from what I'm told, speaking the suspect's language - down to the word, pronunciation, accent, etc. - can have a profound effect on the efficacy of the officer's commands, especially under what could be considered extreme circumstances.

Makes sense to me - how do you expect to communicate with someone when you don't speak their language?

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
And he was just turning his life around, making good choices. He just ran into the open garage cuz he was scared for his life. Roll Eyes

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

"Sometimes, it’s just the sense of over-policing in their neighborhoods which leads many of these young black men to suspect the worst in cops — that they’re their enemy, not friend.

And so many times, they resist arrest.

“Why are you telling me to comply if I am not doing anything wrong,?” Shanel Berry questioned in an interview with The New York Times about the rub her and her family has with law enforcement.

There’s a subtle undertone here — that you should only comply with law enforcement if you believe you’ve done something wrong. Additionally, if you don’t stand up to them, you’re less of a man.

This sort of attitude is making its way into the streets of urban cities — where cops are increasingly being resisted just for doing their jobs. It’s through this resistance that many cases — like Eric Garner’s in New York, or Michael Brown’s in Ferguson — get escalated. In the split-second the officer has to react (in many times to defend himself), often then leads to second-guessing: Was the use of force too much; should more officers been called in; how could the situation been diffused before it even started?

The experienced cops, with more time on the beat and better training, generally handle the situations better. A young, green cop, may often overreact. He’s scared too, after all.

Heather Mac Donald, who wrote of the crime in the streets of Chicago in the Wall Street Journal, said: “Police officers who try to intervene in this disorder [gang, street crime] often face virulent pushback.

” ‘People are a hundred times more likely to resist arrest,’ a police officer who has worked a decade and a half on the South Side told me. ‘People want to fight you; they swear at you. ‘F– the police, we don’t have to listen,’ they say. I haven’t seen this kind of hatred towards the police in my career,’ ” Ms. Mac Donald reported."

https://www.washingtontimes.co...cultural-difference/

Complete horseshit. (of course we know it)

You see, the fact that the suspect doesn't think he is doing anything wrong by committing the felony, and then is told to comply, and so he thinks he's not doing anything wrong and says "why do I have to comply if I'm not doing anything wrong" is mind numbing. And telling. You can thank Hussein, Holder and Lynch for every bit of this. If Obama had a son, he'd look a lot like the methhead in the video, I am quite sure. Of course, the racial bias that they preached and made up while they were in office, they are currently trying to profit from it in the private sector.

The idea that these thugs consider their neighborhoods "over policed" tells me one thing. It is where the crime is. Yeah, when I was in patrol, I didn't go to the places where the crime wasn't going on. I went to where I could find guns, dope, stolen vehicles, wanted people, and you know general fuckery and police shit. With more and more agencies being short handed from a combination of issues surrounding LE, I am absolutely positive that the "over policing" the article speaks of is the high crime rate in the neighborhood. Oh, did I mention that that most of it they see nothing wrong with it.

One of two things have to happen. Either, take the gloves off, and clean up these neighborhoods. Or write them off and pull out. Let the activities that most of the people like in the article find themselves "doing nothing wrong" sort itself out by whoever the warlord is that takes control of the neighborhood. You can't try to do things both ways.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
And he was just turning his life around, making good choices. He just ran into the open garage cuz he was scared for his life. Roll Eyes

He didn't run into the open garage. He knocked on the door and when one of the children residing there opened the door he aggressively forced his way in, then ran into the garage.

quote:
From the Salt Lake Tribune:
Three children — ages 9, 10 and 13 — were inside the house at the time of the shooting.

The 13-year-old boy later told police that Smith had knocked on the door. Then, when the teen answered, Smith “barged in” the front door “aggressively,” according to police. Smith reportedly said something about getting a drink of water, Jacobs said.

Source: https://www.sltrib.com/news/20...-of-20-year-old-man/

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post