SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sous Vide NY Steak
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sous Vide NY Steak Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Smoking gun sounds great to use during the colder months. I just have a simple Webber and it's not worth the effort after September. Sous Vide and a smoking gun sounds like the right combination.

Thanks!
-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Now, you lightly coat with olive oil, apply a spicy rug.......

So exactly what kind of rug is that again? Shag? Deep Pile? Area? Runner? Or were you going some other direction and this requires some kind of toupee? Just confused...

Yeah...I'm giving you crap, mcrimm. Big Grin

p.s. Looks delicious, Boss! Hope it tasted the same!!

Woops - - - That's a RUB. (I fixed it) The RUB consisted of:

2 tbsp. Paprika
2 tbsp. Black Pepper
1 tsp. White Pepper
1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper (optional, you can use red pepper flakes as well)
1 tbsp. granulated garlic
1 tbsp. granulated onion
1 tbsp. granulated coriander
1 tbsp. dill

The final mix was enough to coat about 6 steaks.

Regarding temperature, I know many people like steaks cooked to 120-130. I prefer them a little more medium at 140. The next ones I do will be at 135.

Since I'm the second generation in my family to walk upright, I tell people, "I don't eat raw meat."

Check out www.seriouseats.com

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
So my wife likes her steaks cooked medium well to well (I know, I know...). Is that something that would work with this, and would it at least make the ruined meat a juicier version of well done?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
So my wife likes her steaks cooked medium well to well (I know, I know...). Is that something that would work with this, and would it at least make the ruined meat a juicier version of well done?

Here's a great area to answer your questions.

http://www.seriouseats.com/201...sous-vide-steak.html

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
You lost me at 140 degrees

125 is where it is at...

PS, if there is time for Sous Vide, there is time for pictures...

SV-StripP2 by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

SV-StripPF by Wayne Wilson, on Flickr

Holy crap!! that looks awesome!!!

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that link mcrimm. Very informative.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I need to try this.

What is the best Sous Vider?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

Here's a great area to answer your questions.

http://www.seriouseats.com/201...sous-vide-steak.html

Mike

Indeed, that was a great read. Thanks for the link.

Joy, now I have yet another something I gotta buy because of Sigforumiteitis. Tough disease to get over.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I need to try this.

What is the best Sous Vider?

I purchased this one last December for $126.65.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...sc=1#customerReviews

It was recommended on a number of forums and my son was happy with his.

Last time we were at his house, he cooked a massive prime rib that cost about $125 at Costco. He cooked in a Coleman cooler for about 12 hours.

I also have one of these, with lid, to cook for just the 2 of us but it will hold 4 NY steaks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And one of these for larger crowds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Watch for sales.

Mike

Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
For my reverse sear I use a low temp oven instead of a sous vide machine. Set the oven temp to about 200. I use a leave in alarm type thermometer set to 125 degrees. Takes about 45 mins to an hour to bring the steak up to temp. I take it out, let it rest for 10-15 mins then sear in a screaming hot skillet. Comes out a perfect med-rare every time.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Do you need anything special, besides a vacuum-sealer?

You can get by with a zip-lock bag, just try to get all the air out. And 140 is a bit too well done for my tastes.

JP

Posts: 2051 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
one of my compadres made sous vide filets.

Don't throw away the juice!

That's some fountain of youth chicken soup shit right thar...

Posts: 5138 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hawkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by TVzombie:
So if I like a wood fired steak, how do I get that smokey goodness after the Sous Vide process?

I'm not against a cast iron sear. But precision and wood smoke without firing up a grill would be perfect.

-TVz

Two options, low heat smoking before going into the water or a touch of liquid smoke in the bag maybe?

You can also fill a chimney-style charcoal lighter up, put some smoke wood on top, and light it. You can get a terrific sear when flame out the top is no longer visible.

--------------
July NoVA Sigshoot: Shooter's Paradise; 0900 (9AM) 23July05

My Signature is almost a decade out of date!

Posts: 4686 | Location: VA | Registered: April 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hawkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
quote:
Do you need anything special, besides a vacuum-sealer?

You can get by with a zip-lock bag, just try to get all the air out. And 140 is a bit too well done for my tastes.

JP

On this, to get the air out, you can use the "water displacement method"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZPLF0ezw8

it works, been doing that for a year for steaks, roasts, fish, pork.

(This guy, Kenji Lopez-Alt who made the video is a fantastic authority on sous vide cooking)

--------------
July NoVA Sigshoot: Shooter's Paradise; 0900 (9AM) 23July05

My Signature is almost a decade out of date!

Posts: 4686 | Location: VA | Registered: April 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not 'offended,' it's just like people inserting politics in every single thread. It gets old.

Look at it from OP's perspective. He posts about a good meal he cooked, and the first response is something completely irrelevant. At least post something substantial.

I think you missed the joke.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I'm a new member on this forum and I just have to say I have learned so much in the couple of months that I've been here. And most of it is non gun related. For instance I never heard the term "Sous Vide" until now. Now that I know about it, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post