SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sous Vide help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sous Vide help Login/Join 
posted
I haven't used my machine much. My wife and I are going to the Maine coast for our anniversary. My kids are coming up for a night and I want to do surf and turf. We usually buy a couple cowboy steaks. I don't want to babysit the grill (new place and grill I'm not familiar with). I would like recommendations on time and temp settings for sous vide the steak. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dave

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Google "Sous Vide Steak" - Lots of recipes out there. or go to www.anova.com - lost of info there too.

You will generally want the water temp about 10 degrees below what you want the final temp to be (i.e. 130 for a 140 med rare). Then you will finish it on the grill or in a searing hot pan to get the grill marks and surface sear.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Both the Anova and Joule apps have awesome recipes. I bought the Anova, but have both apps for the recipes.

The four steaks I have done so far, I’ve set the temp at 128 degrees for 3-4 hours. Then finish in a cast iron skillet.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I do mine 131°F for 1.5-2.5 hrs. Then turn grill on high, sear until it looks good. Usually 90 seconds 90° turn, 60-90 more seconds, flip, 90 seconds, 90° turn, 69-90 more.

The time on the grill is just to sear for looks and get Maillard reaction on outside. Very little cooking is done at this point, it's all for looks/taste. A little flare up is fine, but be careful ribeye will flare at these temps. Also with ribeye you won't get a large amount of fat to render out when in bath, so trim as much fat as possible. The only fat that adds flavor is the marbling, the outer ring of fat adds no flavor.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Seriouseats.com is where I go. 132 degrees then cast iron sear. Doing this tonight for my family.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What they said. The ChefSteps Joule app is much better than the Anova app, IMO. I’d get on their mailing list too to get additional recipes every month or two. Use you SV based on their technique.

Prep the steak however you normally would. Typically I add some combination of olive oil, S&P, garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay leave (whatever you have) and a tbspn of good, real butter to the bag. Let it sit for a couple hours or overnight in fridge. Sous Vide to desired doneness and finish it on the grill or heavy pan. Turn that buttery goodness into a sauce.

Sous Vide the carrots with the Anova Glazed Carrots recipe or ChefSteps Ultimate Carrots recipe. I use packaged baby carrots. Make a lot... you can thank me later. Wink

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
When my son was here dad sitting last week, I took some ultra super tenderloin tops, whatever they are called, ~3” thick, in a baggie, set my Anova on 134F for 1.25 hours, then on to the cast iron pan to sear.

They were perfect! A knife was really an after thought, habit more than a requirement.

We are minimalists on seasonings, so salt and pepper was all we used.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
To me, 130 in the sous vide results in steaks that are closer to medium than medium rare.

I usually do 125, gets me somewhere between rare and medium rare.

I go by the nice steakhouse doneness scale - rare is red and cool, med rare is red and warm, medium is pink and hot. With a good steak, I'm happy with rare or medium rare, but I'd much rather have rare than medium, so I err on the side of less done, both cooking for myself and ordering in restaurants.

At least 1 hour, no more than 4 if the temp is below 130.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maladat,

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I do 131 for about 2 hours and then sear on cast iron. 131 is rare to me.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input! Happy Father's day to all the dad's out there.

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I typically do around 129-131 °F for 1.5-2 hours for a perfect medium rare.

Just for fun:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Lb9b6mrYgZ8

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Are there food safety issues keeping a piece of meat below 145 degrees for hours at a time?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
I am very intrigued by the flamethrower method. That steak looked perfect!

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Are there food safety issues keeping a piece of meat below 145 degrees for hours at a time?

Anything above 130 degrees will pasteurize (sterilize) the meat before there is a food safety hazard (the lower the temperature, the longer it takes, but above 130 degrees, it happens before there is a hazard).

This article is about chicken but discusses this idea in detail.

https://www.seriouseats.com/20...-chicken-breast.html

You can hold a steak or something at 135 degrees for three days if you want, and it will be safe to eat and it won't get cooked past medium, but it will turn into mush.

Below 130 degrees, you're supposed to never go past 4 hours.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
A few months ago,I did a select grade chuck shoulder roast, a little more than 3 lbs. at 134F for 24 hours.

No problem. It was not prime ribeye, but tender, flavorful and inexpensive.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post