SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    **Update: its mine**Any contractors or foundations experts on the forum? Could use some advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

**Update: its mine**Any contractors or foundations experts on the forum? Could use some advice Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
I’m currently under contract with a house and has the inspection yesterday. The house was built in 2002. The inspector found some humidity in the crawl space and on one corner of the house there’s some damage to the band sill from what looks like water. He thinks that the there is likely some sort of leak coming from the master bath. The Joists are fine and it only effects one corner. The floor isn’t sagging or anything. What kind of job are we looking at to get this fixed? Wondering if it’s bad enough to just kill the deal. I have a copy of the report if anyone wants to look it over. I do know that in March 2016 the home owners filed a clan in with their insurance for a burst water pipe. Could that be the cause?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty78,

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It could be, or a new leak. I’d pay for a structural engineer to survey as well as a reputable plumber. Any work required negotiate it off the price of the house. I wouldn’t let it be a show stopper if you really like the house.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12621 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Probably not that big of a deal. They can jack the house up and replace a sill plate.

I mean, I'd get it looked at by a contractor/engineer and have someone quote a price so you have a bargaining chip, but I wouldn't let it kill a deal if you like the house.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
How's the housing market in the area where the house is located and how's the comps of the house?

Ask around for the cost of replacing the sill plate and replacing the flooring of the master bath. If the market is slow in the house's area and the comps are high, ask if a discount is negotiable.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
No such thing as slow around here. Houses sell in hours. This house is listed fairly. My main concern is having a can of worms to deal with. I definitely plan on having an expert look at it hopefully in the next 2-3 days.

The house otherwise is in great shape

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If they filed a claim for a burst pipe, then this could be old damage, or it could be a slow leak, I'd really want pictures.

Considering it's a brick face, is it true brick? As in a brick wall with an air gap to a wood sheathed frame? Or is it just a facade?

What is on the exterior near the water damage? Could there be an exterior source?

If other things about the property are right, like location and other features of the house, point out these problems and negotiate a fix from the seller.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do know that in March 2016 the home owners filed a clan in with their insurance for a burst water pipe.
How did you find this out? If it was from any source other than seller's disclosure then I'd run away not walk away.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Post photos if you can. Even if it wasn’t mitigated properly it should have dried out on its own by now. Is there actual damage or just staining? Could be nothing at all, I’ve been called out to look at “damage” from an inspectors report that was nothing more than concrete residue from when the lumber was used to frame a footer Roll Eyes

Get some one with a good moisture meter to take a look to see if it’s still wet. If not, and no damage, wouldn’t worry too much about it. If wet, probably a leak in the bath above. Would start with the wax ring.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
The house otherwise is in great shape

It's a very nice looking house. The dormers, and the keystones in the lintels over the windows and garage door add nice touches (keystone is probably not the correct term, but YellowJacket can chime in). I miss double hung windows. Haven't even seen one in 16 years, since I moved to AZ.

Unless there is one I'm not seeing (in the back), it is the house of seven gables. Smile

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Well it’s a done deal. The issues were fixed and I closed on Friday. It’s scary cause my gun dealer lives behind my new house and runs his shop from home Eek

Thanks for all the responses

posted Hide Post
Congrats on the home purchase. Let me know when you get settled, and we can go out and catch a drink.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Well it’s a done deal. The issues were fixed and I closed on Friday. It’s scary cause my gun dealer lives behind my new house and runs his shop from home Eek

Thanks for all the responses

Yeah, scary for your wallet!

"Hey neighbor, come check this out!" ...wife trying to drag you back inside... "Think about the children, college, retirement!"
Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Pretty house. Congratulations

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Dusty, great looking house.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I closed Friday and immediately left for vacation so now I’m kinda anxious to get back....and hoping it rains cause the sprinklers are off.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I'm glad this worked out for you. Best of luck with your new house.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post