SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Possible to find good polarized sunglasses for <$75?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible to find good polarized sunglasses for <$75? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
My old Oakley's are really scratched up, they're on their second pair of lenses and now the frame is scratched up pretty bad too. I could use their Standard Issue program but most are still over $100.

Wondering what other brands I could consider for every day use.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Ouch, that's hard. I've tried to go cheap but am always disappointed when using them in the bright Florida sun - even Ray Bans pale in comparison to my preferred brand (Maui Jims).

So I just suck it up and buy them, which have lasted an average of 2-3 years a pair, so the $200 price tag doesn't hurt (as much) when I am wearing them for around 800-1000 days.

But if you are hard on glasses and scratch them up often, I can see the reluctance.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve been wearing Nemesis polarized for years. They’re actually safety glasses but they work extremely well in bright sunlight.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Suncloud

Also, discount sites like theclymb.com have good sales pretty often. Rarely Costa or Maui Jim, but sometimes Oakleys, and often Smith, which makes fantastic glasses.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a brand called Flying Fisherman that's sold on Amazon and ebay. They can be had for $20 or so and the quality is really good especially for the price They're my favorite budget shades. They also have a premium version that you can find for $75 that are very comparable to shades costing a $100 more.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you keep an eye out for discontinued models, you can probably find Oakley's close to that price range on the Oakley Vault stores.

Also, Zappos and eBay sometimes have good deals on real Oakleys.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Ouch, that's hard. I've tried to go cheap but am always disappointed when using them in the bright Florida sun - even Ray Bans pale in comparison to my preferred brand (Maui Jims).

So I just suck it up and buy them, which have lasted an average of 2-3 years a pair, so the $200 price tag doesn't hurt (as much) when I am wearing them for around 800-1000 days.

But if you are hard on glasses and scratch them up often, I can see the reluctance.

THIS. If you're going to spend $75 might as well spend more and get Maui Jims (my preference) or Costa Del Mar's. If you find a Costa Del Mar model you like, let me know I believe I get a wholesale price on them from one of my vendors and can get you the price with my discount.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I use the Solarshield:

https://www.lifeextension.com/...sses&t=coveo4A2453FD

They also have the OveRxCast Polarized which I have not tried yet but should be good for fishing.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a pair of polarized Maui Jim’s for $98 at Costco. They usually have a traveling sunglasses showcase every few months that is separate from the optical department. These are my favorites. I broke a lens and the replacement set is $75.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Russ59,

P229

Posts: 3809 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have taken to buying Edge Eyewear for my sun and safety glasses. They make some polarized models also. They are not the finest glasses, but they are comfortable, fit my big head, and are cheap enough that i dont get upset if a pair goes missing or gets broken.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Shady Ray's. I think their most expensive sunglasses are $75.00. There are deals to be had.

I have several pairs and I like them very much. Most are of the Wayfarer style, but I like that style. They have other styles.

A lifetime warranty on lost or broken glasses.

I have been very happy with them. When I don't want to mess up my more expensive sunglasses. The Shady Ray's are what I wear every day at work driving all day. They are my most worn sunglasses as a matter of fact.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Just be aware that polarized sunglasses suck with cell phones! :-)

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
Just be aware that polarized sunglasses suck with cell phones! :-)

Only if you have a crappy screen. I can see the screen on my iPhone XS no problem in any direction and light with my polarized sunglasses. My previous phone (iPhone 7) I broke the screen and had the screen replaced by one of those ufix places, after that I could only see the screen sideways with sunglasses on.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safety Glasses USA. Lots of styles starting around 25 bucks.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AO optical

Original pilot polarized sunglasses.

88.50 on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001...f=twister_B07K1WWL8M

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I got a pair of Pumas from Costco for like $25 as some cheap knock arounds and they do what sunglasses should do.

Not sure if you have a Sportsman’s Warehouse near you or if they have them on their website but my local had about 6 pair of Costas on clearance for $79.99.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Check out Steep & Cheap- they frequently have marked down hi quality brand names. I have a pair of Costa’s I’ve had for close to 15 years that came from there and that they’ve lasted this long is a testament to how well they’re made. But once, cry once.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Way too much for something I'll break or loose.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Go to the optical department at Costco. They have both prescription and planar.

The quality is there and the price is right, but I don't buy sunglasses there because they only have polarized and I want non-polarized, which they don't have.

I like American Optical -- I can buy the frames from AO, and order my prescription non-polarized bi-focal or tri-focal lenses from an independent optician near me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I get mine from Zenni, prescription though. You can order them with no correction if you want. They will tint any lens they offer, add all the coatings you want with different colors and darkness.

Mine run me about $50, I stick with a Ray Ban styled frames

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post