SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me avoid going bump in the night
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me avoid going bump in the night Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Plagued with power outages. We haven't had multi-day outages yet. Or even multi-hour outages.

However, we've had a number of short outages (maybe up to 3 hours long). During the day - not too bad. But at night, with no advance warning, we tend to go bumping until we can get to a light (flashlight, candle, etc).

I usually carry a flashlight but not when I'm in PJ's.

I'm looking for recommendations for emergency lighting (LED?) that I can plug into a socket that will automatically turn on when the power goes out.

Bonus points for:
1) not made in PRC. Or at least a non-PRC brand name.
2) Li vs NiCd battery (hate the battery memory syndrome)
3) can set times (ie - doesn't turn on during sleeping hours - don't need it to turn on if the power goes out when I'm sleeping).

Recommendations? Surely I'm late to this party....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i bought the ones that plug in from Costco. They are led. Are motion activated. When the power goes out they automatically come on. You can unplug and use as a flashlight. Iirc there are four in a pack. maybe three. The price was under $20.
One of the best purchases one can make. They also can be set to illuminate in different colors Wink

Made in chicom pretty sure though.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have a whole house generator that starts automatically when the power goes out but I still keep a flashlight next to my bed along with my pistol. Also have small flashlight on end table next to my recliner in the basement.

If you need to have a light come on when the power goes out then the night lights mentioned above would be a good answer.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a solution that fits your stated requirements, but here’s my solution: My iPhone is always in reach. Its “flashlight” provides enough light for me to walk over to the closet where my Streamlight Coyote lantern is stored. The Coyote provides good gentle room illumination.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I don’t have a solution that fits your stated requirements, but here’s my solution: My iPhone is always in reach. Its “flashlight” provides enough light for me to walk over to the closet where my Streamlight Coyote lantern is stored. The Coyote provides good gentle room illumination.

One of these would also work:

https://getcyalume.com/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We don't often have this problem, but I've flashlights scattered all over the house. There's one at my desk, one in each nightstand, one in the drawers of each table near where my wife and I sit in the family room. One in my "junk drawer" in the kitchen. One on my workbench in the garage. There'll be at least one in the man cave when it's done.

Plus I wear an Apple Watch. It has a flashlight mode. Our phones also have a flashlight mode.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple sets of these motion activated, battery powered LED night lights for our old house where we had a dark upstairs hallway with no outlets to plug regular night lights into. They seem to work well:

Indoor Wireless Motion Sensing LED Stick Anywhere Light (3-Pack)

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!! Checking into the suggestions.

I do have flashlights scattered about (and again, usually an EDC on me as long as I'm not in PJs). But as Murphy would have it, they (and phone) are still probably a bump or two away when the power goes out. Especially for wife and guests.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've used several different styles of power-failure lights over the years.

The ones that have never failed (for us so far) are sold as Energizer and Red Cross. They both occupy one outlet of a duplex and don't cover the other hole.

I don't know what their politics are, but if the power goes out while I'm on the throne in the middle of the night, they are my best friend.

We have one in each bathroom and one in hallways and near exits.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Streamlight Siege lantern. One upstairs, one downstairs. Excellent and priced right. Does not plug in, but it will easily light an entire room.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I keep a couple lamps on 24/7. They have very low watt LED bulbs (20 watt equivalents) and are plugged into APC uninterruptible power supplies. Just be sure and program the UPS not to beep, or it will drive you crazy.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

as an added tip, just ask Siri to "turn on flashlight", so you don't have to stumble around to find the phone, put in your code or face ID it and then start the flashlight...

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a streamlinght by the bed and there are no less than seven oil lamps in the house with matches nearby....

I grew up in Tampa and the power went out enough that mom taught us to always keep a lantern or candles

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post