SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Educate me on this privatizing the ATC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Educate me on this privatizing the ATC Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
So the government should subsidize airline tickets? You say costs will increase if the system is privatized. I have my doubts, but even so, the cost would likely be offset by ability to terminate non-performers and the streamlining of administration. Why not look at countries where this has worked before making judgements?

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Just as an aside, a really great movie about Air Traffic Control: "Pushing Tin"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
We all know about the TSA, but in what way is the air traffic control system "broken?"
Our radar systems are from the 50s. Mainly we don't have a sustained way to upgrade the infrastructure. We are having to have more and more delays because the system can't handle the growing air traffic. Right now companies are working on systems to reduce spacing but until we get the $$$ to implement those systems, we are stuck.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
As an aside, non-profit != no money. A non-profit can piss away money just like a for-profit business.

At one point I did some consulting work for AAA of Northern California in Walnut Creek. The CFO drove a Ferrari. I don't know how much he was paid, maybe he was independently wealthy, I dunno. My point is just because a business is a non-profit, doesn't mean they know how to spend money wisely.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing for privatization. I just want stable funding so we can modernize the airspace. But if we are to go private, I'd want non profit over profit.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Flight Service Stations have been run by Lockheed Martin for more than a decade if I recall and FSS works just fine

I think privatizing it is a wonderful idea, has been proposed for years

the straw that breaks the back of the FAA camel is they got their wrists slapped for trying to regulate drones (which was in violation of an existing regulation that prohibited them from doing so), and the fact that ATC modernization has been an abysmal failure and they cannot account for the billions they have spent and have nothing to show for it

yeah, give it to a private company - they certainly can't do any worse, and as a pilot, I think its a wonderful step forward in reducing the size of the government

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
It has happened to me many, many, times: "What do you mean you don't have a flight plan for me? I filed it just a few hours ago, it was accepted, and now you don't have it?"

Just an FYI...non-FAR Part 121 flight plans usually don't stay in the system longer than 2 hours before they drop out. If you filed "a few hours ago" (as you stated), I'd say the system dropped your flight plan since you didn't depart in the 2-hour window from the time you filed the plan. We've had to call up our dispatch and have them re-file our flight plan if we've been delayed a very long time on the ground, usually going to EWR when it's been in a ground stop or ATC delay program.

Unless things have changed, all flight plans drop out at 2 hours unless the drop interval is modified. Thunderstorms and low ceilings, visibility, lower arrival rates, the flight data folks are told to change these parameters in the host computer. Part 21 folks have dispatch folks who called frequently and massaged proposed departure times, hence they stayed in the system longer.

Folks don't want a pay to play system like Europe has. It has literally killed general aviation with fees. Otto makes other valid points.

You can only land so many aircraft on limited concrete in an hour. Hence delays when the air carrier folks schedule 75 aircraft into a 15 minute window.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
If you filed from a towered airport, just call clearance delivery and ask them to keep it in the system. It's really no problem for us.

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Canada saw great things happen with it.

While we're at it, open up the shop for railroads, so they can modernize as well.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post