SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bowie Knife Gatlinburg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bowie Knife Gatlinburg Login/Join 
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted
We have been hiking the mountain's around Gatlinburg for the last week or so with my son's Boy Scout Troop. He has done exceptionally well hiking 50 miles in five days and I want to buy him a knife in recognition of his achievement. Any recommendations of where to buy a proper Bowie knife or any places to avoid? Thanks in advance.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Smoky Mountain Knife Works is in Sevierville.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107554 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Instead of a Bowie how about a really useful knife, a 3 to 4 inch folding drop point. A Bowie is overly large for most tasks, a medium sized drop,point fills the bill for most tasks, you can carry it in a belt pouch or a pocket, much easier to control, great for gutting/skinning game, etc.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Smoky Mountain Knife Works is awesome and Buds Gun Shop is next door.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Awesome, thanks so much.

quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Smoky Mountain Knife Works is awesome and Buds Gun Shop is next door.

Well now... I'll definitely have to take a ride over to say hey and see if I can find that shipping wormhole.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parallel:
quote:

Awesome, thanks so much.

How is it that place wasn't already on the list to visit? Oh, avoid the basement

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
quote:
quote:

Awesome, thanks so much.

How is it that place wasn't already on the list to visit? Oh, avoid the basement

I'm not sure why I hadn't put this place on the list. Now that I'm here though I'm overwhelmed with possibilities.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
At Smoky Mountain Knife Works they have everything you'll ever want to buy a scout. I've been buying little Marbles Brand Survival kits for my daughters Girl Scout Troup as well as a Marbles Compass and Victorinox Swiss Army Knives. The Marbles kit runs about $6-7 for a fire starter rod, whistle and small compass. The Marbles brass compass is close to that in price. Be prepared to spend some time and money.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can't find something at SMKW or the gun store behind then you don't have a pulse. Fun store. Both of them. Probably the only part of the drive down to Florida that I enjoy.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Haven seen Smoky Mountain Guns & Ammo Mentioned.
It's inside Knife Works.
Another reason to stop in. I have gotten a couple pretty good deals there.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Awesome, thanks so much.

I found a great panini knife in the basement

Plan 2 to 3 hours for a visit

Also found a great Chris Reeves and now discontinued skinner

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Awesome, thanks so much.

I found a great panini knife in the basement

Last time I was there it was candles and touristy stuff down there.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
When I was in the scouts they did not allow us to carry fixed blade knives. I don't know if things have changed, but you might want to make sure he will be able to use it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/photos/...9RrpxBTcOP6X4mCzVEDA

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...8fuI62RECWcr6oVH7b4w

Damned if I can get this thing working/.When I get back I'm looking into hosting my own damned photos.

Anyway, the top pic is the knife I ended up getting for him and the second is of him with it when I gave it to him.

Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Okay, let me see if I can get this to work.

Thanks again for the recommendation, that place was amazing. I ended up going with this one because it was made in America and Case was the only one other brand of high end Bowie that was. I when in there looking for one made in Tennessee, but no joy. Anyway, my boy is happy that got an awesome knife and I'm happy that the knife he got is heirloom quality and not that tin crap that he would have bought. The only one not happy was Mrs Parallel when she read the receipt. Big Grin

Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Beautiful blade. Cool

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That's a dandy. I know he's proud of it.

I have a stag handled "hunting knife" that my grandpa gave me when I was 7 or 8 years old. It's one of my treasured possessions. I'm amazed I haven't managed to lose it over the last 52 years.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post