SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is Going On With The USPS And Battery Shipping?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is Going On With The USPS And Battery Shipping? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Has anyone run into this?

It seems like suddenly the USPS is embargoing or slowing shipments of batteries for some reason.

I ordered a new battery from iFixit and they've always shipped quickly in the past but this time the battery I ordered for my iPhone 6 took over 2 weeks to arrive. USPS tracking said I was supposed to have it in 3 days but after a week I contacted the USPS and iFixit and USPS had some supervisor trying to track it and said basically it was "stuck" somewhere due to it being a lithium battery. iFixit shipped me another one via UPS which came in like 2 days. The original order coming via USPS FINALLY arrived almost 2 and a half weeks later.

I bought some button batteries for my wife's Mazda keyfob from eBay and it's looking like the same exact thing is happening again. Tracking said it would be 3-4 days, they are being shipped via USPS and it's been a week and a half now and no batteries yet.

WTF is going on here?

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No idea.
I get all types of batteries shipped in all the time from a number of sources and shipping methods with no problems.
But most come UPS or Fed Ex and are usually UPS-Backup Batteries.
Maybe it looked "suspicious". Eek

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would assume it has something to do with having too many "hazardous" items shipping at one time.

I would say they get even more regulated if they have the shipments going through a contract with a passenger airline.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
They always ask me at the USPS counter if my package contains anything liquid, fragile, perishable or hazardous, like batteries or perfume. From that, I have come to suspect that they no longer accept ceramic, battery powered perfume sprayers for shipment.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Lithium batteries are "dangerous" items at the USPS. With some reason, as cheap high capacity cells can leak gas (or more properly, NOT vent gas properly). Some can overheat dangerously and are a fire hazard.

That is what causes those cheap Chinese hoverboards to catch fire - shoddy lithium batteries.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
USPS uses passenger aircraft (as well as UPS planes) for their expedited mail. Lithium and lithium ion batteries are required to ship via ground because of this. USPS ground is brutally slow. There is a lot of confusion among clerks because the labeling is complex and there is a difference in the handling/labeling and actual volatility of lithium vs li-ion batteries. At least that's how it was explained to me at the carrier academy...

Posts: 498 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post