SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HELP! Tankless versus Tank Water Heater?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! Tankless versus Tank Water Heater? Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
We converted from an electric to a tankless about 8 years ago, and I would never go back, but my situation was much different than yours. We plan on staying in this house forever. We were planning on having at least 2 kids (now 6 & 7). I installed the unit myself, but I already had 1" nat gas line a few feet from the unit. I also installed it under a closet so I took the sheet rock off the closet walls and ran the exhaust line in the wall cavity then out through the roof, so there aren't any visible pipes attached to the house. (I also installed a radon fan right next to the tankless exhaust while I was at it) Rebate was $350 for tankless and $50 for gas tank.

In your situation I'd probably go with a tank gas unit. I doubt you'll have a buyer when you sell that will care.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tankless plus is unlimited hot water. The negative is the delay in getting hot water- we have noticed a minute or two.

Posts: 987 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tejas421:
Tankless plus is unlimited hot water. The negative is the delay in getting hot water- we have noticed a minute or two.

Sister switched from electric tank to gas tankless with a circulating pump. Also has provisions to auto drain in the event of a power failure to prevent freezing.

Exterior mount. I re-plumbed he house to add an insulated hot water loop to utilize the heaters internal circulation pump. There is zero wait for hot water anywhere.

But the heater was expensive and it is extremely complicated. I have no idea how she is going to get it serviced when it craps out.

Here is one photo I saved of the internals... Eek

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post