SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HELP! Tankless versus Tank Water Heater?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP! Tankless versus Tank Water Heater? Login/Join 
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted
Yep, current system giving up the ghost.

Current heater is electric. My house uses gas for heating and a fireplace, so that's an option.

I'll be in the house another two years (military) so I don't want to break the bank, but I DO spend a lot of time (like weeks or month-long blocks) out of the house, so a water heater that uses no energy when not in use has some decided appeal.

ETA: Some additional context. Single male, likely with live-in girlfriend in the next four months. 3br/2.5ba two story starter home. I don't need an industrial grade setup, nor am I trying to provide hot water for a family of six...but I also don't want to undercut to the point that a follow-on buyer with a family is screwed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rob Decker,

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Tankless is convenient.
Electric is generally not going to save you energy $$.
Electric wiring can be expensive and more extensive than a tank model - need 220v.
Gas is the way to go if you get gas to the local economically.
Just replacing with another tank model would be by far the lesser up front expense.
Bonus of tankless is saving space.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
For over 30 years we have had electric hot water tank with replacing twice that I remember during that time with really no other problems. Over a year ago we bought a second home that has a LP gas / electric tankless that is a space saver but I really don't notice a difference. Sorry I know this was not much help.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Is your heat forced air or hot water. Either way, I'd go gas for hot water, and likely tankless. They also make tankless combo heat and hot water units, if you have hot water heat.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
One factor rarely considered, I figure, is that with a tank you have an emergency supply of water in the event of a zombie apockeylips, or somesuch.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
First, there is no payback for that short of time. Gas is the only way to go, electric is not going to save you much. I just had mine installed in the last few weeks and the tab was around $3k, savings can be had if you have a buddy install it for you but watch out, the warranty could be voided.

On the plus side, if we are away no bill what so ever, unlimited hot water ( not instant ) and it takes up almost no space. The payback will be 6-8 years but rebates help soften that.

Suggestion: Go gas with a standard hot water tank, the savings are still there and payback is much faster.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thought, when I plan on being gone for weeks I just flip the breaker to the water heater.

Posts: 74 | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I went from electric water heating to gas and my electric bill dropped $40-$50 a month.

Being that you aren’t keeping this house long term, I’m not sure the expense of a tankless gas water is worth it.

Why not just a gas tank type? Doesn’t have to be a super high end model as it’s not your problem in 2 years.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with a tank and don’t worry about, flip the breaker when you’re gone for a while. A gas tank less install can easily be $5k.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
First, there is no payback for that short of time. Gas is the only way to go, electric is not going to save you much. I just had mine installed in the last few weeks and the tab was around $3k, savings can be had if you have a buddy install it for you but watch out, the warranty could be voided.

On the plus side, if we are away no bill what so ever, unlimited hot water ( not instant ) and it takes up almost no space. The payback will be 6-8 years but rebates help soften that.

Suggestion: Go gas with a standard hot water tank, the savings are still there and payback is much faster.

I'm seeing gas tankless options at Lowe's for sub-$1k.

Perhaps I should clarify: 3-bed, 2.5-bath house, I live alone. My girlfriend is moving in sometime in the next four months or so.

As I am military and will be moving, I need to ensure I'm not buying something of substandard grade and turning off buyers with families; however I do not live in an expensive house. Starter home, right around the $200k mark in Indiana.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Heat pump water heaters are going pretty good around here. Residual cooling of the surrounding air is a bonus depending on where your unit is. Prolly cost between regular and tankless.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even if you have a gas line nearby, make sure it's sized large enough for the WH + whatever it is servicing now. If you have to run a new line, gas is probably not going to pay off over 2 years. 12 year tank, installed myself was ~$600. Gas would have likely been 4-500 more, maybe less with rebates.

I just replaced an electric with an electric because I would have had to re-size the gas line to the furnace to add a gas WH. I'm planning on a significant reno/remodel in less than 5 years, so a cheap-ish electric was the way to go for me. I'll spend the money when I un-fuck the utility routing of this house. Digging a walk-out will require moving septic, plumbing, HVAC and more.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the business, and I would recommend another tank. When not there , hit the breaker. If your not long term, don't spend the money. New tanks are insulated much better, and in my experience, tankless will be far more headaches down the road as far as service needed.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Yep, current system giving up the ghost.

Current heater is electric. My house uses gas for heating and a fireplace, so that's an option.

I'll be in the house another two years (military) so I don't want to break the bank, but I DO spend a lot of time (like weeks or month-long blocks) out of the house, so a water heater that uses no energy when not in use has some decided appeal.

ETA: Some additional context. Single male, likely with live-in girlfriend in the next four months. 3br/2.5ba two story starter home. I don't need an industrial grade setup, nor am I trying to provide hot water for a family of six...but I also don't want to undercut to the point that a follow-on buyer with a family is screwed.

What state are you in? In the summer when it’s 105 deg in my attic I can’t imagine my gas heater tank runs that much. But I’ve never thought about it until now.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pakrat57:
Another thought, when I plan on being gone for weeks I just flip the breaker to the water heater.

This. i had a gas tankless installed in a cabin. It cost a pant-load. It requires maintenance. I regret having bought it. Should have put in a cheap old electric tank-type water heater and shut it off when not in use. The tankless one has quit working altogether.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
My youngest son just had a fancy house built which came with a tankless propane heater. He says it takes a bit to bring hot water up but after that it's continual till shut off. I guess he will find out how the propane heater costs are. He likes it so far. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Replace with what you have. You won't recover installation costs of running a gas line and a vent in the short time you will be there. And it's not going to affect your home's value one way or the other. K.I.S.S.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My dad is in the business, with your scenario, replace with electric. Flip the breaker when you leave.

Gas is nice, on demand is even nicer but you won't realize the price point return for years, and you won't be there.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Replace with what you have. You won't recover installation costs of running a gas line and a vent in the short time you will be there. And it's not going to affect your home's value one way or the other. K.I.S.S.

This.

You won't recover the cost of either converting to gas or to on-demand. I looked at going from gas to on-demand and you can't even use the same exhaust stack so we'd have to put it on an exterior wall and repipe the water lines in the basement.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Tankless equipment tends to be more expensive, and a conversion to gas from electric can also add money. Several years ago Consumer Reports did a study and determined that the breakeven going from tank to tankless was 22 years, disappointing given the estimated tankless life expectancy was 20 years. This was due in part to the fact that newer high efficiency tanks help to close the potential savings gap. That report is a bit dated as prices for tankless have come down, but breakeven is still likely nowhere close to the 2 year timeline you mention. And, if you have hard water, adding a water softener to address scale buildup in tankless units can also add significantly to the cost.

That said, tankless saves space. If you are selling the house, depending on where the tank is located, that can be meaningful. And, many of the issues with early tankless are being addressed. On some models waterlines have been moved to the tops on some units mirroring tanks and easing conversion, recirculation pumps and buffer tanks have been added to improve inconsistent water temps, and descaling maintenance has been improved with the addition of isolation valves in some units.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post