SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today in 1945 Marines landed on Iwo Jima.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today in 1945 Marines landed on Iwo Jima. Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
Seventy three years ago today, US Marines landed on the tiny volcanic island of Iwo Jima.

Barely two miles wide and six miles long. It would be the site of one of the fiercest battle of the entire Pacific campaign.

The battle would be the only time in the island hopping campaign that Allied loses would exceed those of the enemy. The Marines and Naval personnel suffered 26,000 casualties including 6800 KIA.

On the fifth day of the campaign the American flag was finally raised on Mount Suribachi the dormant volcano that was the highest point on the island. That small flag was later replaced by a much larger flag and the photo of that flag raising became one of the iconic photos of the entire War.

During the battle uncommon bravery was said to be a common occurrence. Resulting in twenty seven Medal's of Honor being presented to twenty two Marines and five Sailors. To put that in perspective, that was 28% of ALL Medals of Honor for World War Two.

I wonder how many survivors of Iwo Jima are still around today?

Semper Fi

If someone could post the flag raising photo I'd appreciate it.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Palm.

I'm reading "Fighter Squadron at Guadalcanal" by Max Brand (for about the fifth time).

The hell the Japs put the world through was one of the most barbaric episodes in modern history.

Okinawa was the worst. A couple of gifts from altitude were deserved.

Our boys that fought in the Pacific, on the ground, aboard ship or sub and in the air were unbelievable in the punishment they took and the dedication they exhibited.

Even more so when they began returning it in kind.

I was Army, but the Marines are second to none when there is a crucible to be entered and broken.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Now this is a good reason for banks to be closed today.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
My dad passed a couple years ago....he was USN and he was there.

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My neighbor, Mr. Robert Posey, was a survivor. He never mentioned having been there, but we found some old photos among his personal effects after he passed a couple of years ago. Evidently he operated/sailed/drove(?) a landing craft.

He was a tough, modest little old man who had no family to speak of, but lots of friends. He left everything he owned to a fund to benefit the citizens of Brewster county.

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
My dad passed a couple years ago....he was USN and he was there.

My Dad too. A Sgt with the 3rd Marines. He passed in 1999.

He used to call me, every year, on the 19th of February and say; "Know where Your Old Man was today in 1945"?

FN in MT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FN in MT,

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
My uncle was on the 7th wave. An RM2 (radioman) supporting the Marines.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today is a good day to view the DVD's of the "Pacific" and see what hell the Marines went thru.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Today is a good day to view the DVD's of the "Pacific" and see what hell the Marines went thru.

A great series that I had to watch more than once to appreciate.
Reading Eugene Sledge's book, "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" really makes it even better. A large part of the show was based on that book although not Iwo.

Posts: 9505 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
My Uncle was there also. 4th Marine Division.
Wounded on the 6th day and died in 2005.

RIP Uncle Jim.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Dad was in the third wave..Never talked about it.
He passed in 1984...After 27 years in the Corp.

Posts: 33 | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My uncle Sonny was their, just turned eighteen years old, proud to be a Marine infantryman, he was killed their. I never met him, as I was born nine years later.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder, FN. I think a viewing of either Flags of Our Fathers, or an episode or two of The Pacific is in order for the evening.

Have yet to read Sledge or Leckie's books yet and need to. If you fellas haven't read Jack Lucas' book "Indestructible," I highly recommend it. Isn't a long read, but it's a great one. Youngest MOH recipient of the 20th century for his actions a day into the invasion when he dove on an enemy grenade and pulled a second one under his belly to save his fireteam. By all rights, the medal should've been awarded posthumously, he went all the way. The guy is absolutely a hard-core Marine and never gets talked about.

In fact, I dug it out of the bookcase and I'm starting it again tonight in honor of all those brave men that took that island. Forget the video, I'll read the words.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
My uncle Bill was there in one of the Raider Battallions. He was seriously wounded, losing an eye to an explosion. He survived and lived what I think could be called a successful life with family, business and many friends.

After I returned from Viet nam i asked him how long he was on Iwo. His reply: "How the fuck do i know. I got on the beach and some up on a hospital in a ship". We spoke no more about it. He passed at 89.

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I read "With the old breed" by E.B. Sledge way back in grad school. It was one of those books that while i was reading it i knew i was changing. How I saw the world, war, soldiers all of it was being reshaped in my mind.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

During the battle uncommon bravery was said to be a common occurrence. Resulting in twenty seven Medal's of Honor being presented to twenty two Marines and five Sailors. To put that in perspective, that was 28% of ALL Medals of Honor for World War Two.

28% of all Medals of Honor awarded to Marines in WWII.

The total for WWII in all services was 464.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post