SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for owners of F150 aluminum body trucks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for owners of F150 aluminum body trucks Login/Join 
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
The hood and rear gate have been aluminum since 2000 at least.
Unless my magnet is fibbing to me, the hood and tailgate on my 2001 SuperCrew are both steel.

I was referring to my 20000 Expedition sorry about any confusion.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think steel is being used less and less these days to save weight. I was surprised at how much of my 2017 Subaru Outback is not steel. Lower half of my tailgate attracts a magnet, upper half does not, nor does the hood. I assume they are either aluminum or fibreglass .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
My dealership runs an advertisement saying they want 2014 F150's and will pay top dollar for trades.

That says something to me and why I am keeping my 2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew.

I've got some oceanfront property in AZ for sale, interested?

In all seriousness, that is one of the oldest "get em' in the door" sales tricks in existence. Only trumped by saying something like "Due to increased demand, your 7 year old POS is worth 20k! We are searching high and low for your exact car"!

To the OP, I've got 30k miles on my 2015 F-150 with no issues. I use it as a truck should be used. I have a few scratches and whatnot around the bed that I do not plan on getting fixed. I just don't care enough.

I did put one on its side a few winters back. It cost 10k to fix. A large portion of that was from the electronic power steering gearbox getting ripped from the chassis as I gave the 8 foot ditch a good "axle grinding" before flipping into it.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have got just shy of 20K on my 2016 F-150 and have also had no problems. I drive a fair bit and get rid of my trucks when they get between 90 and 100K so I cycle through a new truck every 3 or 4 years. This one is the best truck I have ever had. Best economy, most power, most comfortable, and very usable. Crashing is expensive to fix no matter what you drive, best way to reduce collision repair bills is not to get into wrecks if at all possible.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you don't crash, you
ain't tryin' hard enough
posted Hide Post
2015 platinum here with 51k. One "nice" ding at the lower end of the passenger door likely due to another door on a parking lot. Also, wind took driver door out of my hand and hit stone lined column at the gas station and got two little dings. I felt those dings would have been less noticeable on a steel door.

I love my truck but do think that aluminum is softer than steel. #duh

But it's a great truck. If I have to complain about anything it would be the crash bars in front of the front wheels. Hard to put any tire larger than 33" without problems

------------------------------------------------------------------------"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Posts: 470 | Location: N. TX | Registered: April 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post