SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for owners of F150 aluminum body trucks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for owners of F150 aluminum body trucks Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
I have my eye on the 18 Expedition which will have an aluminum body. Are dents, dings, scratches etc more difficult/expensive to remove? I've been told that's the case but I don't know anyone who has one so would appreciate your input.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed32hall
posted Hide Post
I was told that it was definitely more expensive to work on by 2 different body shops, and they both recommended a 2014 model if I was going to buy an F150, so that's what I did.
I know that it doesn't answer the question directly, but I was wanting a 2016 F150 with the aluminum parts. Ed

Sigs - Yes, I would like more German made Sigs

Posts: 2652 | Location: Formerly NW WA, now in SE TN | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
15k on my '16 F150 XLT. Luckily no dent or scratches so far, so can't comment on repair costs.

That said I like the look of the new Expeditions, but my wife is solid on another Flex when we retire her 2013.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15320 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I haven't had to repair any dents, dings or scratches on my 2015 F-150 yet so I can't comment directly. However my insurance premiums decreased from my steel bodied 2013 F-150.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
My dealership runs an advertisement saying they want 2014 F150's and will pay top dollar for trades.

That says something to me and why I am keeping my 2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
I have my eye on the 18 Expedition which will have an aluminum body. Are dents, dings, scratches etc more difficult/expensive to remove? I've been told that's the case but I don't know anyone who has one so would appreciate your input.

I'm also interest in a 2018 expedition. I don't have an aluminum F 150. But based on my experience in my own industry (yachting) and my father previously owning a body shop.

Aluminum does not dent nearly as easy as steel. Scratches would be exactly the same to fix as steel. Fixing dented aluminum after an accident, it depends, there is filler for aluminum, but aluminum tends to tear easier and you'd most likely just replace the panel in a collision situation. Some vehicle manufacturers have been using aluminum body parts since the 60's. Jaguar comes to mind, the ac cobra's, some range rovers, etc. Aluminum does not rust, but it can get corrosion bubble between the aluminum and paint. My 2008 expedition has on the aluminum parts (hood and tailgate) and the paint has bubbled in a few small areas and has stayed the same the last 5 years and the paint hasn't perforated.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
My dealership runs an advertisement saying they want 2014 F150's and will pay top dollar for trades.

That says something to me and why I am keeping my 2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew.

That's an old car sales trick to get people in to sell them a new one. I can promise you they aren't collectors.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:

That's an old car sales trick to get people in to sell them a new one. I can promise you they aren't collectors.

^^^^^sales trick is right

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Of course they are not collectors, the implication is that there is demand for 2014 F150's in the used market and they want inventory to sell.

I've heard people (not dealers) looking for a used 2014 and it has even been mentioned in this thread.

I know there is a "sales trick" but in this case I really believe there is some demand for 2014 F150's that are in great shape with low miles.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Of course they are not collectors, the implication is that there is demand for 2014 F150's in the used market and they want inventory to sell.

I've heard people (not dealers) looking for a used 2014 and it has even been mentioned in this thread.

I know there is a "sales trick" but in this case I really believe there is some demand for 2014 F150's that are in great shape with low miles.

There is demand for all used pickup trucks in great shape with low miles for people who cannot afford new ones. The problem is, by nature, most used pickup trucks have a ton of miles or are beat to hell on the used market.

Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
The question is, will the 17 Expeditions be discounted because people want the newly redesigned 18,or will they command a premium because people don't want the aluminum body?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
The question is, will the 17 Expeditions be discounted because people want the newly redesigned 18,or will they command a premium because people don't want the aluminum body?

They're deeply discounted now, between rebates and dealers willing to sell them at invoice or below, you can pretty much get any brand new 2017 expedition right now for around $11k off of sticker and attractive financing.

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
A little thread drift chuckle for you all...A guy I know, who voted for Obama twice, has one of these trucks. He bought magnetic signs for his side business. I laughed like an idiot at him. He couldn't believe they wouldn't stick.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
A little thread drift chuckle for you all...A guy I know, who voted for Obama twice, has one of these trucks. He bought magnetic signs for his side business. I laughed like an idiot at him. He couldn't believe they wouldn't stick.

The guy is clearly an idiot on multiple fronts. I hope he can manage to chew gum and walk at the same time without fucking that up.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I have a '16 F150 Lariat with no dings yet. I was offered a $500 scratch and dent package when I purchased it, I declined, but you might check on that and see how much is covered.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on the thickness of the aluminum used as for denting. Those old A/C Shelbys will dent just looking at them wrong. Audi has been using aluminum for quite some time and they are expensive to fix. Weather it is because it is an Audi or not, aluminum is challenging to repair therefore expensive. As time goes on and more technicians get trained on the repair process the cost should come down. Audi only has a few repair centers in the states so the cost is extremely high.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
It depends on the thickness of the aluminum used as for denting. Those old A/C Shelbys will dent just looking at them wrong. Audi has been using aluminum for quite some time and they are expensive to fix. Weather it is because it is an Audi or not, aluminum is challenging to repair therefore expensive. As time goes on and more technicians get trained on the repair process the cost should come down. Audi only has a few repair centers in the states so the cost is extremely high.

Aluminum really is not that hard to fix. It's super easy to cut out a small section and weld a new one, grind it down, fare it and done. Body shops are just uneducated on it, just like they are at fixing fiberglass corvettes. It's not brain science. They're been building yachts out of Aluminum since the 1950's and tons of them, and they're fared and painted like a car finish...They make faring for Aluminum (bondo more or less), the trick with aluminum is using the correct primer for aluminum......Generally you can heat aluminum a little and the dent pops right back out. I manage and maintain a 1989 Striker Aluminum 62' Sportfish right now, and you'd never guess it's a 1989.....

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I've driven a 2001 Ford F150 for the past 17 years, and a Ford Explorer for nine years prior to that. To say I'm a Ford fan would be an understatement. I'll likely be replacing my terrific F-150 sometime next year, and I've already decided its replacement will 'not' be a new F-150. I'm one of those old guys that believe water is wet, the sun is hot, and trucks are made of steel. At this point, my hope is that Ford will make available a terrific new Ranger truck (in steel) next year, which would afford me the option to stay with the brand I've been in for over 25 years. Short of that, I'll be shopping the competition for my next truck.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
The hood and rear gate have been aluminum since 2000 at least. Body work is take it off and replace nobody is massaging metal anymore. Your insurance will be paying for the work. Very likely that the rate will drop too. I'm paying $35 less per 6 months on a 16 f-150 than I did on an 11 Nissan Altima.

If it makes you less apprehensive semis have been aluminum for at least 20 years.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
The hood and rear gate have been aluminum since 2000 at least.
Unless my magnet is fibbing to me, the hood and tailgate on my 2001 SuperCrew are both steel.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post