SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quick question about Traeger pellets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick question about Traeger pellets Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I've only had my Camp Chef pellet smoker for about 6 months, and have done 5 or 6 smokes. I just bought a bag of Traeger gourmet blend pellets at Costco, and I'm a little worried. These pellets, most of them, are about 1 to 2 inches long. My previous camp chef and Traeger pellets were all around 1/2 inch long. Will I have a problem using these new, longer pellets? I'm doing a 14 hour pork butt tomorrow, and don't want to have the fire go out because the pellets don't feed.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While they're not my favorite I have never had any problems with the Traeger pellets feeding in my Green Mtn Grill. Can't see why the auger wouldn't just snap them if it needed to.

Posts: 169 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
They'll work fine but are not quality pellets. The auger will break them up easily.

Find some Lumberjack pellets and you'll be set.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't think there'd be a problem. Pellets break pretty easily.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
They'll work fine but are not quality pellets. The auger will break them up easily.

Find some Lumberjack pellets and you'll be set.

This.

The only thing I liked about the Traeger pellets I tried was the thick, resealable storage bag. Big Grin

I kept the bag, and use it to store other better pellets that come in flimsier non-resealable plastic sacks.

My pellets of choice are Lumberjack as well. Smoke Ring pellets are good too. B&B will do in a pinch... not as good but more widely available than the prior two.

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone - the pellets seem to be working fine. I've had the pork butt on since 3 am and it's looking good.

I'll have to look around for some Lumberjack pellets.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post