SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A different type of backup camera would be nice.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A different type of backup camera would be nice. Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
One that enable us curmudgeons to see the oncoming cross traffic that’s about to clip us while we’re backing out from between monster trucks and SUVs.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
The type you describe is on many cars and trucks now.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Now that you mention it, mine does that! And I have rear side looking radar that warns me of crossing traffic, too.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yes, rear cross traffic alerts, awesome invention

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Our former 2018 Tahoe had rear camera and cross traffic warning. But parked between other oversized vehicles limited its warning capability until we had backed out a ways and committed.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

You have got to be kidding me. Next, you’ll be telling me it’s the 21st century already. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
My wife had a couple of backing up collisions, one a tetherball post on a playground, and a car following her in a parking lot. I teased her I was going to install a button by the back license plate that enabled reverse, so she'd have to look when she pressed it. I magnified the tease by how far the car would go in reverse with each press of the button: one inch.

Posts: 7454 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

You have got to be kidding me. Next, you’ll be telling me it’s the 21st century already. Smile

My 2014 Tundra had the cross traffic alert. Its not a camera but the vehicle beeps.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Well, you could back in like I do...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:

I don’t do much back in action, but I’m forever on the lookout for a pull through. It must be some sort of a rite of passage. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, you could back in like I do..

^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah I could if I parked better. Always leary of some guy backing in parking spot at convenience store. Makes me think they may be in a hurry to leave for some nefarious reason. Still makes it difficult if you drive a regular sedan with two monster trucks on both sides of you.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I never understand this, unless you're worried about your car being repo'ed. It takes 3x longer to back into a space with cars on both sides, than it does to back out of a space. And the very last thing I'd want is some inconsiderate driver backing into the front of my vehicle, instead of the rear bumper which is taller, and better protected and less stuff to damage/repair.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

I never understand this, unless you're worried about your car being repo'ed. It takes 3x longer to back into a space with cars on both sides, than it does to back out of a space. And the very last thing I'd want is some inconsiderate driver backing into the front of my vehicle, instead of the rear bumper which is taller, and better protected and less stuff to damage/repair.

If it takes you 3X longer to back into a parking space, you’re doing it wrong Wink I’d like to point out that backing into an empty parking space between 2 “monster trucks” is infinitely safer than backing out from between 2 monster trucks into the right of way other vehicles and pedestrians. Practice makes perfect.

Posts: 135 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
One that enable us curmudgeons to see the oncoming cross traffic that’s about to clip us while we’re backing out from between monster trucks and SUVs.

Not unless you have something like this …

… sticking out the back of your car. Then it would get hit and knocked off. For side-looking cameras or sensors to work you need to get clear of the obstacles at least a little.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used to back in for that exact reason. My Challenger has cross traffic alert and will actually see way sooner, especially at night. If you pull in forward the rear of the car clears the cars on either side immediately as compared to backing in and needing the front half of your car out in the isle before you can see to the left or right of an SUV or truck. Works fantastic.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Because you can just hop in the window and make a fast getaway man!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I’ve never worried about my shit being repossessed. I pay my bills. I also only back into spots. Rare that I nose in.

For some, maybe. I’ve driven a forklift fir so many years, backing up is just as natural as driving forward.

If someone hits my truck, I don’t care if it’s front or rear. I have insurance and it’s zero deductible. The fact is someone hit my shit. That’s what sucks.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post