Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cat illness Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So my cat is an indoor/outdoor cat and the other week he came in with wounds on him from an apparent altercation with another animal. Not sure what happened though after licking his wounds for a couple days I figured he needed a vet visit. He ended up getting antibiotics for an infected wound and he has healed up well and was fine as of yesterday.

Tonight he is laying on my daughters bed, I go to move him to get to the covers and he meows like he is in pain. When I pick him up it’s worse and he is quite irritated. This has never happened and he is always very tolerant of everything. He is great with my kids and is not agtresive at all. He did not try and bite me though he looked like he was holding back. He went downstairs and is sort of breathing heavy and mildly swaying back and forth. He just layed down and is sleeping now. Wouldn’t even really look at me or wag his tail like he always does.

I’m planning on taking him to the vet in the AM. We were just told when he got the antibiotics a few weeks back he did not need a rabies vaccine as he was current, but I’m freaking out a little. We have all been licked by him over the last few days and have played with him without any issues, but I wonder if we are at risk now. I don’t think it can be rabies, but I’ve been researching and I’m not sure. In any event if it’s that then we will know for sure over the next week as he would not get better if he had that.

Any ideas?

This is him by the way. He has been a great little buddy and I hope he is okay.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hope your little buddy gets the right diagnosis and care.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Here's hoping he recovers; wishing both of you the best. We used to let our cats roam outdoors, but no more. Too many bad things can happen to them.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm speculating, so take this with a grain of salt until the vet looks him over.

Sore or broken ribs or bones? If his ears are hot and he tends to keep his tail low then he may have an infection that got past the antibiotics. Pulled or bruised tendons and muscles are also possible.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing he has a secondary infection. The vet should do a blood panel to see if the original infection is gone. A different antibiotic will probably be given. I know cats can get expensive, I'm in the middle of a feline health crisis myself.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^yeah his tail is curved under his pelvis. I just noticed also that he is breathing at a faster rate.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Get him to the doc as soon as you can. He is a good looking fella. Hope he heals up soon.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
It kinda sounds suspect for a cat bite abscess. Cats are masters of the abscess, they seem to be healing fine then pop up in a couple days. Especially when they are bitten by another cat, the pointy teeth like to inject bacteria and leave them to fester for a few days (those of you who've suffered a cat bite can attest to this...).

Usual spots to find the abscess are around the tailhead (that is, the base of the tail itself and the soft flesh around the tail area on the cat's legs/back/booty), feet, and neck. If he isn't moving his tail around, I'd look to that area first. If he looks at you like you owe him money and maybe freaks out a little, you've hit the jackpot.

If that's it, the vet will likely sedate him, lance and flush it and give him an NSAID like meloxicam (Metacam) to use for swelling and pain, and he should recover. As an addendum, they will (should) recommend that he be tested for communicable cat diseases like FeLV and FIV. Depending on history, they may recommend doing it now, but may also advise waiting a bit to allow the body to develop some of the antibodies required for one of the tests (FIV). These diseases can be lethal not just to your cat, but to other cats he grooms or fights with, so diagnosis is essential to control disease spread to other cats in the area.

Hopefully he will feel better soon, keep us posted!!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'm offering up prayers for your kitty and y'all.

And for a restful night.

Frown

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
That's a mighty fine looking cat. I hope the vet can diagnose the issue tomorrow.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My prayers are with you and your feline buddy.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the injury/illness but hope your kitty feels better soon.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Best wishes on your little guy..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Get well soon kitty.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the support everyone. Now I’m not sure what to do as he is not irritable this am and is breathing pretty much normally he is just still lethargic and sleeping all day. Not really engaging with play activity, which is still unusual. I may give it the afternoon and this evening and if he still not 100% tomorrow in the a.m.then I will take him in. I think in the meantime I’ll still call the vet just to inquire.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I'd just take the cat in. No one wants their vet (or their doctor) to think they're panicky, but (1) unusual lethargy is something to take note of, (2) cats are natural stoics as a matter of survival and (3) cats don't get injured or sick in exactly the ways we're familiar with as humans. The worst that can happen is that your vet is going to think you're a natural cat daddy, and every guy with a cat has to put up with some of that.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
god speed little guy!

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Now he is walking around and wants to go play outside. Seems back to normal.

So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Honestly, I'd just take the cat in. No one wants their vet (or their doctor) to think they're panicky, but (1) unusual lethargy is something to take note of, (2) cats are natural stoics as a matter of survival and (3) cats don't get injured or sick in exactly the ways we're familiar with as humans. The worst that can happen is that your vet is going to think you're a natural cat daddy, and every guy with a cat has to put up with some of that.

^^^ this- Cat's are extremely good at hiding their illness or injury. I sure hope he's ok and gets better soon.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post