SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let everyone, everywhere, raise the age to do anything to age 21.

I

don't

care

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked back a few pages and didn't see this. It was also in the Miami Herald, so I hope I'm not posting BS. It says he used 10rd mags

https://www.nationalreview.com...-capacity-magazines/

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
.... and don't tell me about how if they're old enough to fight for their country, they're old enough to vote. It's a weak argument. A mere fraction of a fraction of a percent of 18 year olds will ever see combat.....

An argument made even weaker by virtue of any 18-20 year olds that are fighting for their country are allowed to do so as volunteers, with an exit plan that involves in many cases better training and job opportunities than they would otherwise have.

I suspect the privileged kids being flown to DC on daddy's dime would have no issue with changing that age as well. The kids who need or want to serve at 18 would likely feel differently.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
As expected, MEC took the extremist position and REI dutifully followed suit . If you're unaware, MEC is a similarly set-up outdoor specialty chain retailer in Canada. Because of their alarmist and unsubstantiated positions regarding BPA-chemical testing, they pretty much cratered Sigg and Nalgene water bottles. REI listening to it's extremist left-wing board members and coop membership, followed as well, What's the Canadians doing? we can't let them be more virtuous than us!

Taking aim at Vista, which owns CamelBak (dominant market leader in hydration), Bell & Giro (market leaders in protective helmets)..they would be hard pressed to replace those sales.

Perhaps they need to take a hard look and boycott Patagonia since they supply the US military's SOF units.

or,

How much of their products they sell, are produced in countries where workers are oppressed, poorly treated and in violation of various environmental policies that which they hold so sacrosanct.

Arc'teryx is another one REI should boycott.

Since MEC is busy virtue signaling, they should probably change their name. I makes me want to load shotgun shells.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I have no problem with the age to buy a firearm being 21. I have no problem with the voting aged being raised back to 21.

The vote should have never been given to 18 year olds and don't tell me about how if they're old enough to fight for their country, they're old enough to vote. It's a weak argument. A mere fraction of a fraction of a percent of 18 year olds will ever see combat. Most 18 year olds are civilians, and they are not mature enough to have a voice in who gets elected.
This is especially true these days, with the sickening coddling and insulation of these children, who now live at home until they're 30.
You can see what the typical empty-headed 18 year old does with their vote.
This is a $ 64,000.00 post right here. Put the structure back where it belongs in raising children. Was having a short conversation last evening with a Texas Member about this. I shared with him how a life long couple, who are my friends, raised 2 kids to become excellent members of society. Both finishing Collage now. Dad bought his son a new Glock 30 to have in his apartment in Rochester, NY while schooling and shacking up with a young lady. I've never in my life seen 2 kids more attended to by the parents, 24 hours per day. Those kids always new they were kids and not fully developed adults. Rick and Colleen never let their guard down when raising them.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Florida: Our county has an enlightened sheriff, but our public.gov school system is infested with progressive, racist snowflakes:

"It remains to be seen if a proposal from the Brevard County sheriff to arm select school employees will win over school board members, but the proposal has earned a hard "no" from groups that represent teachers and administrators.

At Tuesday night's school board meeting, 21 residents spoke for and against the sheriff's recommendation, including representatives from the Brevard teachers union and Brevard Association of School Administrators who implored board members to consider other "commonsense solutions."

https://www.floridatoday.com/s...employees/385578002/

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
buh, buh, the "narrative"... Suck it Chuck and Diane. Pandering assholes.

Report: Parkland Shooter Did Not Use High Capacity Magazines

The gunman used only 10-round magazines. The Parkland shooter did not use magazines larger than 10 rounds, but gun reform lobbyists are calling on lawmakers to ban higher capacity magazines after the Valentine’s Day tragedy.

The 19-year-old school shooter who killed 17 in Florida on Valentine’s Day had 150 rounds of ammunition in 10-round magazines. Larger ones would not fit in his bag, Sen. Lauren Book, D-Plantation revealed.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
oopsie

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Critics of high-capacity magazines have said the gun jamming is a reason to ban large magazines because a jam would have stopped the shooting if the gunman had used long rounds of ammunition where he did not have to reload.

Well, clearly they understand exactly nothing about that as well, so keep on blabbering nonsense.... I think they're saying that the boolits in a 10-round magazine are shorter and less evil?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:

The gunman used only 10-round magazines. The Parkland shooter did not use magazines larger than 10 rounds, but gun reform lobbyists are calling on lawmakers to ban higher capacity magazines after the Valentine’s Day tragedy.

The 19-year-old school shooter who killed 17 in Florida on Valentine’s Day had 150 rounds of ammunition in 10-round magazines. Larger ones would not fit in his bag, Sen. Lauren Book, D-Plantation revealed.

Wow. That is very interesting.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Logical course of action now is to ban 10 round mags and everyone who has 10 rounders has to get standard capacity 30 round mags.

Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow. That is very interesting.

Isn't it! What's the line on whether this will make the CNN or MSNBC news desk? I've got a hundred bucks burning a hole in my pocket.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Condi Rice stuns audience on The View with this:

quote:
Let me tell you why I’m a defender of the Second Amendment,” she began.

“I was a little girl growing up in Birmingham, Alabama, in the late fifties, early sixties,” she explained. “There was no way that Bull Connor and the Birmingham Police were going to protect you.”

“And so when White Knight Riders would come through our neighborhood,” she said, “my father and his friends would take their guns and they’d go to the head of the neighborhood, it’s a little cul-de-sac and they would fire in the air, if anybody came through.”

“I don’t think they actually ever hit anybody,” she continued. “But they protected the neighborhood. And I’m sure if Bull Connor had known where those guns were he would have rounded them up.”

“And so, I don’t favor some things like gun registration,” she said to a suddenly silent crowd.

Link

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
As expected, MEC took the extremist position and REI dutifully followed suit . If you're unaware, MEC is a similarly set-up outdoor specialty chain retailer in Canada. Because of their alarmist and unsubstantiated positions regarding BPA-chemical testing, they pretty much cratered Sigg and Nalgene water bottles. REI listening to it's extremist left-wing board members and coop membership, followed as well, What's the Canadians doing? we can't let them be more virtuous than us!

Taking aim at Vista, which owns CamelBak (dominant market leader in hydration), Bell & Giro (market leaders in protective helmets)..they would be hard pressed to replace those sales.

Perhaps they need to take a hard look and boycott Patagonia since they supply the US military's SOF units.

or,

How much of their products they sell, are produced in countries where workers are oppressed, poorly treated and in violation of various environmental policies that which they hold so sacrosanct.

Arc'teryx is another one REI should boycott.

True, however big difference is Arc'Teryx sells their LEAF product publicly and make no issue of whom their selling to or that there's a large marketing component to it, Patagonia on the other hand does not. Patagonia takes great pains to make sure their military apparel doesn't hit the open market, has much larger contracts in this area than Arc'Teryx and is the biggest virtue signaler of all outdoor brands with their 1% philanthropy and the staged boycott of Utah, resulting in the OR show moving to Denver.

While every other brand suffered, Patagonia grew nearly three times during the recession in 2009-10, a large part of that was securing of military/government contracts from USASOC.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Senator wants to prevent anyone from under 21 being able to purchase "gas assisted receiver firearms."

Sounds like he is using jargon to make everyone think he has a clue what he's talking about.

quote:
Critics of high-capacity magazines have said the gun jamming is a reason to ban large magazines because a jam would have stopped the shooting if the gunman had used long rounds of ammunition where he did not have to reload.

What does that even mean?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ChicagoSigMan,

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
There could be challenges to the age restriction in some states.

NY Times
quote:
Two of the nation’s leading gun sellers, Walmart and Dick’s Sporting Goods, took steps on Wednesday to limit their sales of firearms, thrusting themselves into the middle of the polarizing national debate over gun control.

Walmart, the biggest gun seller, announced late in the afternoon that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age. It also said it would no longer sell items resembling assault-style rifles, including toys and air guns.

Early in the day, Dick’s said it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores. The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and would also require any gun buyer to be at least 21, regardless of local laws.

Under federal law, a person must be at least 21 to buy a handgun from a firearms dealer. But 18-year-olds can buy semiautomatic rifles and other firearms.

The dual announcements, made two weeks after 17 students and staff members were killed in the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., were among the most significant actions taken on guns by corporate America. Both retailers said their decision were a response to the shooting.

Earlier, President Trump met at the White House with a bipartisan group of lawmakers and called for a series of gun control measures, some of which the National Rifle Association has vigorously opposed.

Walmart and Dick’s acted after a number of major companies moved last week to dissociate themselves from the N.R.A. Hertz car rental, MetLife insurance and Delta Air Lines, among others, publicly ended their relationships with the organization.

In a news release late Wednesday, Walmart noted that in 2015 it discontinued the sale of high-powered rifles, including AR-15-style weapons, in its stores in the United States. But at the time, Walmart sidestepped any controversy involving gun politics, attributing its decision to lower customer demand for the military-style rifles.

This time, Walmart directly linked its action to the shooting in Florida, saying, “In light of recent events, we’ve taken an opportunity to review our policy on firearm sales.”

Top Walmart executives made the decision and then informed the board, a company spokesman said.

Walmart sells guns in roughly half of its nearly 4,000 supercenters, the company said, but the sheer scale of its customer base gives its decision significant heft. Every week, more than 150 million people around the country shop at Walmart.

Dick’s decision was announced by Edward Stack, the 63-year-old chief executive whose father founded the store in 1948. Mr. Stack made clear that he was deliberately steering his company directly into the storm over gun reform.

“When we saw what happened in Parkland, we were so disturbed and upset,” Mr. Stack said in an interview. “We love these kids and their rallying cry, ‘Enough is enough.’ It got to us.”

He added, “We’re going to take a stand and step up and tell people our view and, hopefully, bring people along into the conversation.”

The decision drew immediate — and passionate — reaction on social media. By midday, the number of Twitter messages containing Dick’s name had jumped 12,000 percent from the average over the previous 10 days, according to Sprout Social, a social media management, advocacy and analytics software platform.

About 79 percent of the tweets had a positive sentiment, Sprout Social said, including supportive messages from Hollywood actors and actresses.

But the company’s critics posted their plans to no longer shop at the retailer, some closing their tweets with “#boycott.”

Investors did not appear to worry about a backlash, as Dick’s stock spent much of Wednesday trading about 1.8 percent higher before finishing up 0.69 percent.

Mr. Stack said Dick’s hoped to move the conversation beyond social media and into the political realm. As part of its stance, the company is calling on elected officials to pass what it called “common sense gun reform”: raising the minimum age to buy guns to 21, banning assault-type weapons and so-called bump stocks, and conducting broader background checks that include mental-health information and previous interactions with law enforcement.

This is not the first time that Dick’s has made changes in response to a school massacre. In 2012, after a gunman killed 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., Dick’s removed assault-style rifles from its main stores. But a few months later, the company began carrying the firearms at its outdoor and hunting retail chain, Field & Stream.

As of Wednesday morning, the company said, AR-15-style and other semiautomatic rifles will no longer be sold in its 35 Field & Stream stores or on its websites. And this time, Mr. Stack added, the changes will be permanent.

Mr. Stack said the retailer had begun scouring its purchase records shortly after the identity of the suspected Parkland killer, Nikolas Cruz, became known. The company soon discovered that it had legally sold a gun to Mr. Cruz in November, though it was not the type used in the school shooting.

“But it came to us that we could have been a part of this story,” Mr. Stack said. “We said, ‘We don’t want to be a part of this any longer.’”

That response raised rounds of discussions with the company’s top executives and its directors, all of whom backed the decision to take a stand, Mr. Stack said.

He said Dick’s remained a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment and would continue to sell a variety of sport and hunting firearms. Although he has never been a member of the N.R.A., Mr. Stack said, he is a gun owner and enjoys trapshooting.

But when it comes to selling guns to individuals under 21 or stocking assault-style rifles, Mr. Stack said, his company is done. “We don’t want to be a part of a mass shooting,” he said.

The company said that it had not decided what to do with ts inventory of assault-style rifles but that they would not be sold in the marketplace.

Legal experts said they saw no likely challenges to Dick’s decision to stop selling assault-style rifles. But the decision to stop selling weapons to anyone under 21, however, could be tested in court.

Adam Winkler, a professor of constitutional law at the School of Law of the University of California, Los Angeles, said Dick’s could be challenged in lawsuits claiming a violation of laws that bar age discrimination. Although federal civil rights laws do not apply, some states, including New York, prohibit businesses from denying goods and services on the basis of age.

“Don’t be surprised if an aggressive attorney general of a gun-friendly state brings an age-discrimination claim against Dick’s,” Professor Winkler wrote in an email response to questions.

The company said that it believed its decision was in accordance with the law and that it was instituting the policy immediately.

Matthew Haag contributed reporting.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Report This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Senator wants to prevent anyone from under 21 being able to purchase "gas assisted receiver firearms."

Sounds like he is using jargon to make everyone think he has a clue what he's talking about.

sounds like he is a gas-assisted pontificator on firearms.

Posts: 6358 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
There could be challenges to the age restriction in some states.

Legal experts said they saw no likely challenges to Dick’s decision to stop selling assault-style rifles. But the decision to stop selling weapons to anyone under 21, however, could be tested in court. Adam Winkler, a professor of constitutional law at the School of Law of the University of California, Los Angeles, said Dick’s could be challenged in lawsuits claiming a violation of laws that bar age discrimination. Although federal civil rights laws do not apply, some states, including New York, prohibit businesses from denying goods and services on the basis of age. “Don’t be surprised if an aggressive attorney general of a gun-friendly state brings an age-discrimination claim against Dick’s,” Professor Winkler wrote in an email response to questions.

This is precisely the issue I was trying to get across in the Trump thread, that a case might be able to be made challenging these stores.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I cancelled my REI membership and the lady didn't seem to care at all. It still felt great.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:

I really want to believe this, but the logic doesn't bear out for me. Just doesn't pass the smell test. I can stuff a lot of 30 and 40 round mags into a backpack. What the hell bag was he using that somehow only fit 10 round mags? Why 10 rounds mags when a 20 is pretty much the same size? I want to believe it so bad that warning bells are going off. Plus, this is all attributed to a Democratic senator, so it's about as credible to me as "the shoulder thing that goes up." To that end, if a Dem senator is saying it was 10 round mags, I see that as them laying the groundwork that ANY capacity magazine is a bad thing.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post