SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
^^^^^ The students who go to that march should be required to make up that day in school, preferably a Saturday. Any teachers who accompany them should also have to make up a day.

flashguy
quote:
from the same post:
March 24 is a Saturday so Pugh said that by supporting the march she is not encouraging students to miss a day of school.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Here's some counter-insanity courtesy of some Idaho high school students: LINK

quote:
Nampa students plan counterprotest to March 14 student walkout
By PATTY BOWEN pbowen@idahopress.com Mar 9, 2018

Concerned that next week’s school walkout to honor Parkland shooting victims is also a promotion of gun control, two Nampa High School students are organizing a counterprotest for the same day, March 14.

Organizers Ethan Schmerer, a freshman, and Porter Kindall, a sophomore, say arming teachers and school staff is the best way to deal with school shootings.

“Obviously our hearts go out to the victims of the Parkland shooting, and we recognize the walkout is in honor of the victims,” Schmerer said. “However, it has also become about gun control.”

Schmerer and Kindall founded Arm Our Teachers USA, an organization of Nampa students who support the call to allow educators to carry guns in schools.

Students nationwide are planning to walk out of schools for 17 minutes on March 14 to honor the 17 people who were killed in the Parkland, Florida, school shooting and urge Congress to pass legislation that will limit access to guns.

In response, Arm Our Teachers members plan to protest the walkout at Nampa High School.

“We care about this issue because we want to defend our rights and let our voice be heard,” Schmerer said. “We don’t want the more naturally conservative side to go unheard, especially from this younger generation.”

Arm Our Teachers is also organizing a march on the Idaho State Capitol on March 24.

“If you look at this logistically, there is no correlation between gun control and the safety of the people,” Schmerer said.

Schmerer pointed to the legislation the Florida House passed on Wednesday that would allow some teachers and staff to carry guns in schools as an example of what Arm Our Teachers would like to see happen nationally. Florida Gov. Rick Scott on Friday signed the bill, which also puts some gun restrictions in place.

On Wednesday night, the Nampa School District told parents in an email that students who participate in the March 14 walkout won’t be marked absent, Assistant Superintendent Gregg Russell said.

“Students are allowed to express their voice and walk out, but they have to return to class,” Russell said.

The time frame in which students must return to class differs for each high school and middle school in the district.

Russell said he felt it was presumptuous to assume that all students are walking out because of their political beliefs. He said the majority of Nampa principals he had talked to said the walkouts at their schools were honoring of the victims of the Parkland shooting.

“They have the right to voice their opinions just like everyone else does,” Russell said.

Nampa High School Principal Diana Molino said safety is the school’s biggest concern during the walkout while protecting students’ First Amendment right.

“Just like how people would be mad if I infringed on their Second Amendment right,” Molino said.

Schmerer said he knows of students who plan to walk out of class just to get out of instruction. He is hoping his group’s counterprotest will help “encourage people to get the education they need from the topic.”

“Really teenagers can definitely make a powerful difference,” he said, “and we need to encourage those in our community to stand up for what they know is right.”

[Patty Bowen is education reporter. You can reach her at 208.991.8995.[/i]

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Look what the little student twirps from Parkland are sporting now. And, I bet the schools will allow it. Louder w/Crowder

As noted on another website:

Where has the world seen this before?
  1. Armband identifies as a member of the party in good standing
  2. Advocates for radical gun control
  3. Demonizes millions of people as enemies of the state
  4. Spreads lies & propaganda
  5. Youth being used by a political party

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look what the little student twirps from Parkland have come up with now.

They're gonna need to change the shirt colors.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one that wishes he was 16 again, just so I could fight that smug little fuck Hogg?

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Little bastard looks like every Hitler Youth photo I've ever seen. These kids are absolutely detached from reality.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
mutedblade

posted March 12, 2018 03:37 PM Hide Post
Little bastard looks like every Hitler Youth photo I've ever seen.

I agree.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Good God. All he needs is a Hitler 'stache and he'll be ready for the rally at Nuremberg.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a news article over the weekend of students signing up to go in during a weekend to get active shooter defense training in Orlando! They were using the Run, Hide, Fight model.

The trainers were showing how to barricade rooms, prepare in case a shooter breaches (for instance, grabbing the muzzle and pushing up from behind a door), and techniques to fight and get the shooter down.

Maybe it isn't perfect, but the fact that some students are willing to learn to defend themselves gives me a little hope!

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
By the way-

The title of this thread mentions the predictable insanity surrounding this shooting, and to a degree and in certain ways, it has played out as I expected.

But, anyone who says they could have predicted the utter madness we are now witnessing is either a liar or a true mystic. It's as if we've slipped into another universe, but I guess the truth is we are witnessing mob mentality on overdrive. The inmates of the asylum are aided by the unwitting and well-meaning, so that what we end up with is that logic and sanity are in a distinct minority and any appeal to reason is met with derision or disregard.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Looks like that armband is fix'n to slide down to his elbow.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Good God. All he needs is a Hitler 'stache and he'll be ready for the rally at Nuremberg.

Glum little shit would fit right (reich) in...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Maybe it isn't perfect, but the fact that some students are willing to learn to defend themselves gives me a little hope!

Absolutely correct. The cynics will prate about how every classroom should be guarded by a former SEAL or D-boy, or as a minimum every teacher should have a Glock and bag of 30-round magazines available, otherwise it’s not worth doing anything. Such fantasies are just as ridiculous as what the gun-grabbers and hoplophobes want. Experience has demonstrated that teaching achievable measures can help.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:

The trainers were showing how to barricade rooms, prepare in case a shooter breaches (for instance, grabbing the muzzle and pushing up from behind a door), and techniques to fight and get the shooter down.

In addition to grabbing the barrel, what about teaching throwing your hand over the receiver and the ejection port which should effectively jam the weapon if the attacker fires? They may also want to suggest wrapping your hand with a t-shirt or sock when grabbing the barrel.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
what about teaching throwing your hand over the receiver and the ejection port

Excellent idea! (Because it’s what I’ve been discussing and explaining in my own training for several years now. Wink )

I do, however, explain that although holding onto a gun like that when it’s fired may cause a minor injury, it’s far better than what will happen if we’re shot. The point about grabbing a hot barrel is a good one that I will remember in the future; it won’t do any good to grab a barrel if we can’t hold onto it.

The only objection I have to the “run, hide, fight” videos I’ve seen is that they’re squeamish about the fight part and sometimes display unrealistic outcomes based on what we see. I make it a point to emphasize the realities and what fighting may require.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.armytimes.com/pay-...ck-to-aafes-shelves/

Customers’ protests bring high-capacity ammo magazines back to AAFES shelves

By: Karen Jowers   7 hours ago

After a vocal response from customers, the Army and Air Force Exchange Service will begin restocking its shelves this week with high-capacity ammunition magazines — reversing a policy to stop selling magazines that hold 11 or more rounds.

Exchange officials reversed their firearm policy based on input from customers, according to a statement from AAFES.

“Feedback from active-duty, Guard and Reserve soldiers and airmen highlighted the criticality of high-capacity magazines as it relates to readiness and proficiency,” officials stated.

The stores — including the online store — stopped selling high-capacity magazines at the beginning of March. In less than 10 days, AAFES had reversed the decision and began making plans to get the products back on the shelves.

Troops use these magazines, sold separately from firearms, to supplement the magazines they are issued. In addition, Guard and Reserve members said they need the magazines for training while they are not on active duty.

“I’m currently deployed with 30-round PMAGs that I purchased at the PX, why don’t you trust us anymore?” one customer wrote on Facebook.

Paul Andersen, a retired Army captain who was a military policeman, on Monday praised AAFES CEO Tom Shull for reversing the policy.

“AAFES customers are active duty members, reservists and retirees. Thankfully he listened to his customers,” Andersen said, noting that the 49th Military Police Alumni Association sent numerous emails to Shull about the issue over the last week.

“If it were up to me, to give up my gun to save a child’s life, I’d be the first to do it. I would do anything to save a child’s life,” Andersen said.

“But this ill-conceived, knee-jerk reaction to take away all high-capacity magazines doesn’t solve anything. It has no real results. We need to come up with a long-term solution.”

After the Feb. 14 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, where a gunman killed 17 people, some commercial retailers have limited the firearms and accessories they sell.

For example, Dick’s Sporting Goods announced on Feb. 28 it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines or assault-style rifles. The store also said it would no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21.

AAFES has sold high-capacity magazines primarily “as a result of vendor recommendations to offer the original equipment typically sold with certain firearms.”

At the beginning of March, AAFES removed magazines that hold 11 or more rounds from its shelves in stores and online.

“As a result of a recent review, a decision has been made to discontinue the sale of these [high-capacity magazines that are sold separately],” officials said at the time.

Since early 2013, Marine Corps exchanges have sold only magazines that hold 10 or fewer rounds, and the AAFES change aligned with the MCX policy.

However, the MCX does sell magazines with higher capacity — but only if they come boxed with the manufacturer’s gun, and if the state where the exchange is located allows it, said MCX. Some states, such as Hawaii and California, ban magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds.

Customers let their views be known on AAFES’ Facebook page.

“Realigned with Marine Corps! The thing AAFES has ‘realigned’ with is the liberal push to strip our constitutional rights!” wrote one protester. “AAFES doesn’t have the needs of soldiers in their values.”

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund: AAFES CEO Tom Shull

Mr.Shull may want to re-evaluate the rest of his executive and senior managers about their roles and to whom their business serves. Continue down the path of political posturing and kowtowing, and you may be be apart of some changes.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The Anti-gun crowd has focused all of their might on bringing down the NRA as the root source of the 2nd Amendment fight. Easy, obvious, good strategy.

The NRA needs to do the same and figure out who the real key figures (Pelosi & Feinstein don't collectively have the brains to organize a garage sale) are and those providing funding behind the Anti-Gun movement. Some of the recent events happened way too fast and way too organized for HS kids. Expose them and target all efforts as I'm guessing you'll find foreign influence. A few names definitely come to mind of you follow the money trail. I wonder how fast it would fall apart if they figured out who was really behind this movement.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
The Anti-gun crowd has focused all of their might on bringing down the NRA as the root source of the 2nd Amendment fight. Easy, obvious, good strategy.

The NRA needs to do the same and figure out who the real key figures (Pelosi & Feinstein don't collectively have the brains to organize a garage sale) are and those providing funding behind the Anti-Gun movement. Some of the recent events happened way too fast and way too organized for HS kids. Expose them and target all efforts as I'm guessing you'll find foreign influence. A few names definitely come to mind of you follow the money trail. I wonder how fast it would fall apart if they figured out who was really behind this movement.

Foreign influence: Soros?

Domestic: Bloomberg?

Don't be coy -- who are you talking about?

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

Foreign influence: Soros?

Domestic: Bloomberg?

Don't be coy -- who are you talking about?

I would say at least... But you never know what a thorough investigation will uncover, I don't think for a moment there aren't outside influences pulling strings.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post