SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
My uneducated opinion is that all those mass shootings can be sqarely be blamed on:

- The death of uninuclear family;

- The death of Christianity (as we knew it);

- Welfare state;

- Glorification of violence and crime;

- The dismantling of the educational system.

Firearms a availability are a very, VERY small part of the equation - if at all.

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I am happy to say that the relentless media attacks on "traditional Americana" (to coin a phrase) has had one positive effect in my life. It prompted my wife to finally join the NRA! I have been a member since long before we met, and in our early years together she was as anti as anyone ignorant of firearms. Get a clue media! For every push, there will always be a push back.

Posts: 6396 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I took a look this morning at a couple of news web sites. Looks like it's mostly safe to go back into the water.

Posts: 107246 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
With all these students demanding more gun control, I say "Why stop there?" Why not let high school students determine foreign policy? How about our overall military strategy? Why not let them set the federal budget? Why not put them on the Supreme Court?

I mean, if these teenagers are qualified to dictate sweeping legislation, why not let them make all of our other government decisions and set policy?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I live about 10 miles from where this shooting happened. Here it is a week later and it is still all over the news and all over the radio. Most reasonable, educated, and normal people are sick and tired of hearing about it over and over again.

Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
As has been said over and over, the gun is a tool, like a knife, a hammer or a car.

We have mental health issues in this country that we are not addressing.

Cops arrest mentally ill individuals, they go to court, they get an eval, they are sent to a Dr. who prescribes medication. The judge says stay on your meds and be productive. They go off the meds, they get arrested again and the cycle continues until they turn extremely violent.

In my opinion, we really need to go back to the State Mental Facilities that existed 30-40 years ago. Keep these folks in a facility where they can be monitored and treated, not handed a bottle of pills and told take these and be productive.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
USA Today is blaming “toxic masculinity.”

How many of these shootings did we have back when you really were expected to act like a man 40-100 years ago? :eyeroll:

Posts: 13733 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
As has been said over and over, the gun is a tool, like a knife, a hammer or a car.

We have mental health issues in this country that we are not addressing.

Cops arrest mentally ill individuals, they go to court, they get an eval, they are sent to a Dr. who prescribes medication. The judge says stay on your meds and be productive. They go off the meds, they get arrested again and the cycle continues until they turn extremely violent.

In my opinion, we really need to go back to the State Mental Facilities that existed 30-40 years ago. Keep these folks in a facility where they can be monitored and treated, not handed a bottle of pills and told take these and be productive.

Drug use is a large part of this equation I believe.

Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
This isn't about guns. There's a much bigger agenda behind the scenes. It's really about tearing the fabric of our country apart. Guns are just the means to that end.

Consider the Russian meddling in our elections. Putin was playing chess while our heads were looking at the checkerboard. His objective was to create discord, regardless of who wins the election. His agenda was turn us against each other, using our elections as the means to that end.

Now we are serving up another opportunity. His hand will be working behind the scenes to promote discord on an issue every bit as divisive as the election. We already know Russia organized competing pro and anti Trump rallies in NYC on the same day. And our useful idiots on both sides jumped right in, having no clue whose hand they were playing into.

It's not about "assault" weapons or background checks or any other proposed solution. It's about fucking with our country. We need to wake up.

http://www.kansascity.com/news...rticle200011139.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogB,

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
The anti-gun groups are poised like jackals, and as soon as a mass shooting erupts, they pounce on the relatives and friends of the victims. These people are in shock, grief stricken... emotional wrecks. The jackals take advantage of this vulnerability to exploit them, as they have done with the school kids in Florida. Add in Hollywood celebrities schmoozing the kids, and they have these kids right in the palm of their hand.

It is human behavior at its most vile. Because ultimately, it's all about money money money.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Thank you Para! I wanted to know what happened. I kept looking and not seeing any threads here, and had a pretty good understanding of why I wasn’t seeing anything. Finally, curiosity got the best of me and I asked the google. Lots of tripe, handwringing, and anti propaganda. No better than the crud on CNN at a local coffee shop. I guess I don’t need to know, and I know I am not going to wade through the propaganda that passes as news to try to decipher what happened.

Posts: 6869 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I am happy to say that the relentless media attacks on "traditional Americana" (to coin a phrase) has had one positive effect in my life. It prompted my wife to finally join the NRA! I have been a member since long before we met, and in our early years together she was as anti as anyone ignorant of firearms. Get a clue media! For every push, there will always be a push back.

I'm thinking it may be time to upgrade my membership.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30292 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

My governor.

Damn! Can we have one like that? Clear, concise, intelligent, and sane. How did he ever make it into politics?

Posts: 6869 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Why didn't the Broward school system nor local law enforcement do anything?

Here's why.

The schools felt they could more effectively handle criminal behavior through diversion programs. Such programs served to keep criminals in the schools and allocate school discipline based on race. Fewer kids arrested also means more money for the schools because enrollment stays up. This was driven by a presidential administration that was watching skin color to eliminate "disparities in student discipline".

So, they created killers for money. Now, they're using the victims as mouth-pieces for civilian disarmament. Ghouls. I hope the class action lawyers do a number on these school systems.

And thank you Eric Holder. You should be charged with crimes against humanity.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Report This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Since when do adults feel they need listen to what a 15 year old has to say about much of anything.

Shut up, get your ass home and do your homework.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
Since when do adults feel they need listen to what a 15 year old has to say about much of anything.

Shut up, get your ass home and do your homework.
That's what I told my wife last night. There have been very few 16 year olds I've known who had anything at all in their lives figured out. These 'children' in South Florida need to shut up, watch, and hopefully learn something about how society works.

I had compassion for the Newtown families, up to a point. But after they turned into nothing but attention whores and mouthpieces for the left, that compassion disappeared. I'm rapidly approaching that same point with these 'children' in South Florida.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
USA Today is blaming “toxic masculinity.”

How many of these shootings did we have back when you really were expected to act like a man 40-100 years ago? :eyeroll:

I expect that someone will soon attempt to blame global warming for the violence.

Too many lefties making money here and they certainly don’t want to miss out on the gravy train.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37079 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
One of the things that you learn having coached at the level that I have, for as long as I have, is that the human brain isn't fully developed until after age 18. Typically a little earlier for girls, later for boys. It does depend on the individual so those are averages.

The issue lies in being able to make decisions based on an understanding of the consequences. It is why young people take risks that older people wouldn't even consider, why an 18 year old soldier can be convinced to charge a machine gun nest while the 40 year old's response would be "screw you that's crazy, call air support".

This is why laws related to age exist as they do, and also why kids between 11-21 think they know everything.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37927 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
The anti-gun groups put together demonstrations-- a big one is scheduled for March 24, featuring Hollywood celebrities-- and the demonstrations, in turn, get money flowing to the anti-gun groups.

John Gibson and some of the other more level-headed on-air folks are pointing out that these "demonstrations" require planning, travel, accommodations, food, sanitation and logistics.

High schoolers do not have the means to accomplish demonstrations of this magnitude. What, they're going to have bake sales?

It's just recently been revealed (again!) that the communists pay tons of money to disrupt American society. These sheep can't see past the noses on their face to see how badly they're being played.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Report This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
There have been very few 16 year olds I've known who had anything at all in their lives figured out. These 'children' in South Florida need to shut up, watch, and hopefully learn something about how society works.

I got a kick out of their up-talking optimism. They have spent their first minutes of fame patting themselves on the back for their first few minutes of political awareness.

The blonde girl had some sort of "but our's is the generation of social media and we know how to work within that media".

yay, if you think you've accomplished something venting on Facebook and Twitter and Instagram, you've already lost.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post