SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:

I also heard a report regarding some of the 911 calls that were made by concerned people regarding the Parkland shooter, prior to the school attack. I thought they said he held a gun to the head of several people, including his mother (twice), and his aunt. For whatever reason, there were no police reports which precluded his purchase of the rifle he used.

I'm not a LEO, nor am I a psychiatrist, but if someone points a gun repeatedly at people during arguments, I think that person is at risk for gun violence.

Why he was not arrested for DV, I shall never know. Would have stopped him from buying a gun.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
I don't want to support giving away 2nd amendment rights, whether they apply to me or not. I'm at a loss trying to figure out why people on a firearms forum are OK with raising the age.
Because they're determined to do it, no matter what.
How is that different than anything that's happened since at least 1994? I think all of us agree we have to be more determined. I do not understand what you are trying to say.
I'm not trying to say anything. You're doing the asking.

Posts: 107246 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
OK, thank you.

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I don't care if they do move the age, but why do we have to give up anything? We cave and suddenly it helps Republicans hold the House and Senate? If they don't they get voted out? I don't see how the age thing is going to appease anyone or make middle of the road voters stick with us. All it will do is encourage the progressives and make them push for more the next time something happens. They will just say we didn't go far enough. Again, if it happens it isn't something that will bother me much. I just hope they leave it out of any bill.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

If you think that I lived alone at 17 because I was fortunate than you are quite mistaken about that.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Sorry if this is a re-post.
H.R. 5087. Assault Weapons Bill

https://www.congress.gov/115/b...ILLS-115hr5087ih.pdf

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if instead of stricter gun laws there should be stricter enforcement of gun laws.

Sure, the mass media has its agenda and it shows up well as to appearances and ratings. "Stricter gun laws" has a nice ring to it. People are overenthusiastic that something needs to be done "and-by-golly-we-are-going-to-get-it-right-this-time".

So this got me thinking about a communist individual I knew that proposed a law that required everybody to carry a gun. The way he explained it, in the beginning you would have people shooting each other day-in, day-out. But that at some point, folks would be more cordial to each other and stop shooting each other en masse.

Heck, it hasn't been tried before! So why not give it a shot.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Report This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Why he was not arrested for DV, I shall never know. Would have stopped him from buying a gun.

The incident where he pointed a gun at his aunt was not written up by the LEO because "they hugged afterward." There should be a way to flag the sale during the background check.

quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
I wonder if instead of stricter gun laws there should be stricter enforcement of gun laws.

This. I think all legal gun owners would agree.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:

If you think that I lived alone at 17 because I was fortunate than you are quite mistaken about that.

Not what I meant.

Did you live in "the projects"? That's what I'm getting at. Anyway, you've likely had no problems up til this point in your life either, but I'm sure you carry just the same.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30293 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nojoy:
Sorry if this is a re-post.
H.R. 5087. Assault Weapons Bill

https://www.congress.gov/115/b...ILLS-115hr5087ih.pdf

More correctly: "H.R.5087 - Assault Weapons Ban of 2018"

Can't comment, as I've given it only a cursory review. Well, except to say they're attempting to exceed the last assault weapons ban by a good margin.

I wonder if there are any non-Democrats on that list of sponsors, or if any Democrat is missing from that list?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26004 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

...if any Democrat is missing from that list?

Any Demokratic Congressman hoping to get re-elected in a red district is likely to be missing.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
They obviously didn't learn from what happened to them in 1994. Not only will no such ban pass this time, they will have nothing to show for the losses they will take in November. Florida's briefly proposed ban was short-lived and didn't even get out of the gate / committee.

As far as age is concerned, even in the event that the age is raised to 21 for all firearms purchases here in Florida, by Florida law, you only have to be 18 to legally posses rifles or handguns. Example, if a father wanted to give an 18 year old son or daughter a rifle or handgun to posses and use, it would not be illegal in Florida regardless of the purchase age requirement.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Report This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Instead of wasting money on this, they could fund armed security officers in schools, hell even put small police substations in schools, bad guys generally don’t go where they know there will be armed resistance possible. They should have been doing this since Columbine.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Well...they left the door wide open by not including " the thing that goes up" Confused

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
Instead of wasting money on this, they could fund armed security officers in schools, hell even put small police substations in schools, bad guys generally don’t go where they know there will be armed resistance possible. They should have been doing this since Columbine.

We have one of these at a local Walmart...just sayin'

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Absolutely.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38595 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Instead of wasting money on this, they could fund armed security officers in schools, hell even put small police substations in schools, ...

Now that sounds like a pretty good idea.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30293 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Instead of wasting money on this, they could fund armed security officers in schools, hell even put small police substations in schools, ...

Now that sounds like a pretty good idea.

There are sub-stations in airports, so ABSOLUTELY!! Put 'em in schools!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11050 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Also I’m fine raising the age to own guns to 21 but only if they raise the voting age with it.

I'm not fine with it. Not in the least. So you're fine with a 20 year old adult woman (or man) who is living on her own trying to make it not being able to defend herself with a firearm? And anyway, what do you mean raising the age to own? I thought all this talk was about being able to purchase. The discussion is about changing the law raising the minimum age to purchase, right?

No age should be raised to purchase firearms and bump stocks and anything like it should not be touched. These are not the problem and will not do anything to solve the issue. We don’t need to give up rights to appease gun haters.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Obviously there is a reason the anti-2nd amendment crowd is talking about restricting gun ownership when they know what an uphill battle it will be. Money, money MONEY!! We all noticed how fast this effort began after the shootings. I doubt all the blood had been mopped up at that point.

If there was real concern with resolving this issue there would be the obvious discussion about fixing the background check already in place by requiring the states to report all relevant data, by taking elementary steps towards better security in schools, towards making sure shit like this last murderer pulled would result in arrest records, and by not plastering his face and name all over mass media. All fairly easily done, and quickly, relatively inexpensive and NOT CONTROVERSIAL!!

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Report This Post