SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Face of a coward.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing being a known coward does not enhance your stature in the big house.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

About fucking time.
I'm going to hold my enthusiasm. Though I agree this guy is pond scum, Sheriff Israel and Superintendent Runcie are the two individuals most responsible for the shooting. It was their combined policies that created the environment in which this could have happened. 'They' both should be charged and prosecuted.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
quote:

About fucking time.
I'm going to hold my enthusiasm. Though I agree this guy is pond scum, Sheriff Israel and Superintendent Runcie are the two individuals most responsible for the shooting. It was their combined policies that created the environment in which this could have happened. 'They' both should be charged and prosecuted.

They should be. But the SRO was the man on the scene. He had a chance to save lives, & he ran away. Ran away from all those kids that he KNEW. He took the job, knowing what might happen, he was trained for it, & gladly took a paycheck. Then ran away. Then happily takes his healthy pension. He should branded a coward.

Don’t take the job if you ain’t got the guts to handle it.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's heartwarming to know he's getting to spend a night behind bars, as he hasn't bonded out yet.

Obviously he didn't expect to be arrested.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There is least one Supreme Court ruling (I can’t think of the citation at the moment*) that the police do not have a responsibility to protect individuals, only society as a whole. It was their ruling, not mine, so don’t ask me to explain that, but I imagine that it will be an element of the defense in this case.

* This is it: Warren v. District of Columbia: “the duty to provide public services is owed to the public at large, and, absent a special relationship between the police and an individual, no specific legal duty exists.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
There is something in Florida law that states a "caretaker" has a higher responsibility to safeguard children. That's what they are charging him with. He may be convicted in Florida but he also may win on appeal. At any rate, his life is going to suck for a while. Which is as it should be.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
There is something in Florida law that states a "caretaker" has a higher responsibility to safeguard children. That's what they are charging him with. He may be convicted in Florida but he also may win on appeal. At any rate, his life is going to suck for a while. Which is as it should be.

I suspect that his life has been sucking ever since he froze/hid. I’d assume he is just sick inside thinking “If only” every day. I wouldn’t have been surprised if he was unable to handle it.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

About fucking time.

I'll agree that it started with Israel and Runcie, and need to be held accountable as well. However, at the end of the day, that little yellow, punk-ass coward Peterson who ran away and did nothing. He was the last line of defense in this fucked up shit-show that "probably" could have been avoided IF people DID THEIR JOBS.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Head of the Police Union is already on the News down here objecting to this and defending this POS. Says this could set a dangerous precedent. Welcome to the world of being held accountable for your actions. (or inaction)

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
quote:
quote:

About fucking time.

I'll agree that it started with Israel and Runcie, and need to be held accountable as well. However, at the end of the day, that little yellow, punk-ass coward Peterson who ran away and did nothing. He was the last line of defense in this fucked up shit-show that "probably" could have been avoided IF people DID THEIR JOBS.

Word. Fuck that guy.

I ll take wins where I can get them.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I take heart that it cost him some good money for legal counsel and may be having a hard time making bail.

quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
Head of the Police Union is already on the News down here objecting to this and defending this POS. Says this could set a dangerous precedent. Welcome to the world of being held accountable for your actions. (or inaction)

"Dangerous precedent"? Every professional out there is accountable for negligence. Yes, lots of people get a 'pass', but when you cower like a child for 45 min while kids are slaughtered and it was YOUR JOB to protect them, I think you deserve to a least face the music and dance.

In the profession of arms, no one is going to blame someone for a moments hesitation or well intentioned mistake in the heat of the moment - that happens. But to stand around with your thumb up your ass is the same as a Marine / Soldier running away from the enemy in battle (even before seeing them) or the pilot of a jet aborting his mission before even entering the target area when his skills and aircraft are capable of defeating the threats he faces.

Pure cowardice.

posted Hide Post
Ah, he moved to NC after retiring (not surprising that he wouldn't stay in the area) and his passport (a condition for bail) is in NC.

His lawyer asked for 72 hrs for him to retrieve it but the judge denied the stay.

https://www.local10.com/news/p...terson-in-bond-court

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Disgraced former Broward Sheriff's Office Deputy Scot Peterson appeared in bond court Wednesday, one day after his arrest in connection with the Parkland school shooting that left 17 people dead and 17 others wounded. Peterson, 56, is charged with seven counts of child neglect, three counts of culpable negligence and one count of perjury.

Peterson's attorney challenged the judge's probable cause determination and the statutory definition of a caregiver relating to the charges. But families of the victims killed in the Parkland massacre said there is no question that Peterson is guilty of the charges against him.

"He's guilty," Manuel Oliver, who lost his son, Joaquin, in the shooting said. "He's part of this problem. He was a coward that day. He was there to save the students, teachers. He did nothing. Now he needs to pay for his mistake and I'm glad this is happening now."

Broward County Judge Jackie Powell set Peterson's bond at $102,000. One of the conditions of Peterson's release was that he surrender his passport.

"My client resides in North Carolina and, as a result, his passport is in North Carolina," Peterson's attorney, Joseph DiRuzzo, told the judge, asking for 72 hours to retrieve it.

"Is there no one that could send the client's passport from North Carolina?" Powell asked.

DiRuzzo said he anticipated it would take a couple days to get the passport and was concerned his client would "unnecesarily" remain in jail until that time.

Powell denied the request.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement arrested Peterson after a 14-month investigation to determine the actions -- or inaction -- of law enforcement during the Feb. 14, 2018, mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

FDLE Commissioner Rick Swearingen said Peterson, a former school resource deputy, "did absolutely nothing to mitigate" the shooting.

"There can be no excuse for his complete inaction and no question that his inaction cost lives," Swearingen said.

BSO spokeswoman Veda Coleman-Wright said Peterson was arrested Tuesday after an administrative discipline hearing at BSO headquarters.

Peterson resigned after being suspended by now-suspended Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel. His replacement, Sheriff Gregory Tony, retroactively fired Peterson and Sgt. Brian Miller, who were found to have neglected their duties during the shooting.

"We cannot fulfill our commitment to always protect the security and safety of our Broward County community without doing a thorough assessment of what went wrong that day," Tony said. "I am committed to addressing deficiencies and improving the Broward Sheriff's Office."

Broward County State Attorney Michael Satz said six of the seven child neglect charges are second-degree felonies, while the seventh charge is a third-degree felony because the child wasn't severely injured. He said the perjury and culpable negligence charges are first- and second-degree misdemeanors.

Satz said Peterson's bond was set at $102,000. Under the terms of his release, Peterson would be required to wear a GPS monitor, must surrender his passport and would be banned from possessing any firearms.

"I'm anticipating it shouldn't take very long, but obviously the case has to work its way through the process and, of course, we expect Mr. Peterson should be treated fairly like every other person," DiRuzzo said.

If convicted on all counts, Peterson could face more than 96 years in prison.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
good - its about time he had to face the music...dereliction of duty...coward plain and simple

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53164 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
So we are charging people with crimes for what they didn't do? insanity. I hope Mr Peterson lives a long life with plenty of time to reflect on his in action and the lives he could have saved but sending him to prison...no.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:

So we are charging people with crimes for what they didn't do? insanity.
I'm curious. Would you feel differently if one of the victims was your child?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ethically, morally, and viscerally, I think that fucker is guilty of cowardice and dereliction of the highest order, and should pay the heaviest of prices.

But from a strictly legal standpoint, I agree that charging him criminally is potentially troublesome. The Supreme Court's prior ruling about police responsibility for individual protection was specifically written that way for a reason.

Slippery slope. Unintended consequences. Etc.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Hell yes he should be in jail. Part of the job he signed up for required he protect the students/staff. Why the hell else would they want him around? He did not even attempt to intercede... for 45 minutes! While hearing shots!?! What job can you get where you agree to do your duties and then not perform them?????!!!! WTF

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Report This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
But from a strictly legal standpoint, I think charging him criminally is potentially troublesome. The Supreme Court's prior ruling about police responsibility for individual protection was specifically written that way for a reason.

As I recall the case, it turned on the fact that the cop waited for backup in obedience to departmental policy. I'm not sure there's a departmental policy that justifies this guy's actions - although I'm sure he'll argue there was.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Ethically, morally, and viscerally, I think that fucker is guilty of cowardice of the highest order and willful dereliction, and should pay the heaviest of prices.

But from a strictly legal standpoint, I agree that charging him criminally is potentially troublesome. The Supreme Court's prior ruling about police responsibility for individual protection was specifically written that way for a reason.

Slippery slope. Unintended consequences. Etc.

If a "school resource officer" has no duty to defend anyone at the school, why are they there? Just collecting a check?

Cancel those contracts and let teachers that want to, be trained and armed. They will at least have the incentive of self-preservation kick in.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post