SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
That sherriff absolutely needs to be fired for dereliction of duty. Is that an elected position in Florida? I certainly hope the people do not see fit to vote for him ever again.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
This ridiculously asinine program had one goal and one goal only...to drive down the number of minority kids punished without any care or consideration of the consequences that would cause.

Never underestimate the capacity of an institution to make bad decisions in order to protect its funding and to not have to do any hard work that would actually solve the problems the institution exists to solve.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
There would have been one more gun purchase in that month if my LGS would sell the P365 locally vs online at max price.
Take a Saturday occasionally (like I do) and enjoy a leisurely afternoon in Ormond Beach at Florida Gun Exchange. Went last weekend and returned with a haul of 5.56 and 45acp ammo.
Florida Gun Exchange offers free classes on AR-15 maintenance. Definitely worth the time!

DB Pickles is right up the street, if you're looking for a good pastrami sandwich.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
And the fun keeps snowballing. Now, per Newsweek, Bill Maher is accusing Hogg of bullying Laura Ingraham by calling for a boycott of her show. Then again, Maher's been boycotted before, so maybe this is just cheap self-interest? Well, Maher claims that "we shouldn't do this by team, we should do this by principle!", but, ah, yeah.

http://www.newsweek.com/maher-...raham-boycott-876299

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I have heard arguments about "saving them" (young people) from a "life of crime" by breaking the cycle.

And it's mostly bullshit.
No, the program enacted in South Florida is complete and utter bullshit and all but guarantees many of these kids will never function in society. If bad behavior is not identified and punished appropriately, even the kids who might be saved will slip into the liability column.

This ridiculously asinine program had one goal and one goal only...to drive down the number of minority kids punished without any care or consideration of the consequences that would cause. This is liberal ideology in its purest form. Its also shown us just how horrifically dangerous that ideology is when all reason or rational behavior is removed from the equation.

It's actually much worse than this. The school system was failing. Failing because so many students were being arrested and charged, that they were losing Federal dollars as a penalty. The School Administration and the Sheriff concocted this plan to bypass the penalty and keep the federal money flowing, without any regard to the ramifications of letting juvenile offenders off with no penalty for their crimes.

Bottom line: They sold the safety of every kid in the district for dollars.

If Hogg wants to protest the real problem, he should start there.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37927 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It’s a matter of goals, and incentives, and making sure the responsible parties have the proper incentives to achieve the goals, and not something else.

Business people have the incentive to make money, earn a profit. Government agencies have an incentive to justify or even better, increase, their budget and staff. When the penalty for having fewer students in school is loss of funding, you do what you need to to get butts in those seats, whatever it takes. If it’s grades, you teach the test to get the most money. If you get more coaches and bigger stadiums by winning games, well, there you go.

If you get more money by reducing the crime rate, you fiddle with the definitions and charges and statistics to get the money.

The other incentive is often re-election.

It seemed important to deny drug dealers the fruits of their activities, so we passed asset seizure laws. Good idea, but police agencies figured out all the wonderful things that could be done with all the dough that could be nabbed with a little effort, and no risk, so in many instances, seizures are occurring and attempted from innocent people. Some police don’t believe in innocent people, apparently.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
There is so much truth in that post it hurts. I hate what this country has become on some levels.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
And the fun keeps snowballing. Now, per Newsweek, Bill Maher is accusing Hogg of bullying Laura Ingraham by calling for a boycott of her show.

I just trolled David Hogg on Twitter with this story Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26004 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
^^^^^Leftist mouth organ TIME Magazine glorifies Hogg. But here's another view:

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Awhile back I posted about a school providing buckets of rocks to fight off school shooters, well Millcreek Township in PA is going to be arming their teachers with baseball bats Roll Eyes

quote:

Millcreek teachers encouraged to fight shooter if options fail

Modified district response plan includes ‘flee’ when you can and ‘fight’ when you must.

Millcreek Township School District has armed teachers with small baseball bats, and maybe resolve.

Teachers aren’t expected to confront a gunman with the bats, schools Superintendent William Hall said.

“The bats are more symbolic than anything,” Hall said. “However, we do want to have one consistent tool to have at somebody’s disposal in a classroom in the event they have to fight.”

Each of the district’s approximately 500 teachers was given a 16-inch bat Monday during in-service training on how to respond to school shootings. The revised Trojan Response plan includes more options than a lockdown, Hall said.

“It’s not about just hiding and waiting,” he said. “There are options, and one of those is to fight.”

A 2008 Department of Homeland Security report on how to respond to an active shooter recommends getting away, if possible, hiding and, as a last resort, fighting.

The private Alice Institute in Medina, Ohio, teaches Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter and Evacuate skills to survive a shooting. To counter, or fight, an attack, the institute encourages potential victims to throw books, chairs and anything else at hand at a shooter that they can’t escape or hide from.

The Blue Mountain School District in Schuylkill County last month provided classrooms with buckets of river rocks to throw at a gunman.

It could work.

A 2013 FBI study of mass shootings found that in 11 school shootings, principals, teachers, staff or students successfully confronted or “disrupted” the shooter, saving lives.

Millcreek’s baseball bats remind teachers that they should fight if they have to, said Jon Cacchione, president of the Millcreek Education Association, the union representing district teachers.

“It’s to make people comfortable with the idea that they can attack and not simply go into hard lockdown and just hide, as we’d been told in our training up to this point,” Cacchione said.

Monday’s in-service training on responding to a school shooting included panel discussions with Millcreek police.

“It was a very appropriate, productive dialogue,” Hall said.

The district ordered 600 baseball bats for the training, including some that will be placed in offices and in other areas in schools. The cost was about $1,800, Hall said.

“It really was minimal for what we hope to accomplish,” he said.

The school district additionally has been securing school entrances and taking other steps to tighten building security. It’s also gauging public support for training and arming select staff in each school if that becomes legal in Pennsylvania. People responding to an online survey by the district in March overwhelmingly favored giving at least some teachers or staff guns. But the results might not accurately portray the community’s wishes. There was no way to confine the survey to Millcreek residents or to prevent anyone from “stuffing the ballot box,” or completing the survey multiple times.

Teachers generally approve measures taken or in the works to make schools safer, Cacchione said.

“The teachers’ association has been keeping a close ear to the ground regarding what’s going on,” he said. “Everything the district has presented to us in regard to what it’s looking into, planning or has made a part of district policy has been sound and provides a greater sense of security for staff.”

The only potential disagreement, Cacchione said, would be about arming teachers with weapons more lethal than bats.

“The only thing we’re not in agreement with as a group, although, certainly, individual members disagree, is the idea of giving teachers guns,” Cacchione said. “Having said that, we certainly don’t object to a greater presence of armed and certified police officers. But teachers are here to teach, not to be in the line of defense that carries weapons.”

http://www.goerie.com/news/201...oter-if-options-fail

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Each of the district’s approximately 500 teachers was given a 16-inch bat Monday during in-service training on how to respond to school shootings.

Ummm, played baseball lately?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6191 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Teachers aren’t expected to confront a gunman with the bats, schools Superintendent William Hall said.

The school district gave them a class on how to fight a gunman and gave them a little memento after the class.

You are focusing on the wrong thing here. The rest of the article I think is pretty good. I like the idea of teaching people that it is okay to fight back instead of hiding and waiting to get shot. I know that a lot of people here are all or nothing when it comes to this subject but I think you have to face reality that we just aren't going to get all teachers armed with guns over night.

Even if this is as far as it goes, personally I would love for my kids to have a teacher who plans on fighting for them instead of hiding.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Each of the district’s approximately 500 teachers was given a 16-inch bat Monday during in-service training on how to respond to school shootings.

Ummm, played baseball lately?

thought they were called Fish Billys when they were that short,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd much rather have a full size bat, but I'll take the 16" (heck I'd take ANYTHING) that can be used as a weapon to defend myself if I don't have a firearm.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I'd much rather have a full size bat, but I'll take the 16" (heck I'd take ANYTHING) that can be used as a weapon to defend myself if I don't have a firearm.

Hey, it works for Casey Jones...

Just as long as it's not a José Canseco bat. Wink

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30293 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Just as long as it's not a José Canseco bat. Wink

Tell me: you didn't pay money for that. . .

As for the bats, I always kept a 'youth' aluminum bat at work. It's not a 'weapon;' but 'sports equipment.' It also has more reach than a knife, it's capable of effective blunt force against things like heads, hands, and throats, and I could have it in an office that did not allow 'weapons' (alongside my spare 5 iron).

It's better than nothing, and a step in the right direction (acknowledging that in a mass killer scenario, you can't blindly depend on the police and that you must fight for your safety).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21820 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Is it now minute 16?

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
Is it now minute 16?

God I hope so! It's time to put this crap to bed!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
There would have been one more gun purchase in that month if my LGS would sell the P365 locally vs online at max price.
Shoot Straight?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post