SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Members who visit this forum regularly likely know that several years ago, I asked for us to refrain from the knee-jerk reaction about violent events, such as terrorist attacks and mass shootings.
I've asked members to wait just a bit before posting. I won't go into the reasons for that, but I will say that members have been great about this. Time and again, you guys have complied with this request and I am grateful.

I think that many of you already understand why in this most recent case I've prohibited any discussion of the shooting or anything even indirectly related to the subject.
When I heard the first news of this shooting, I stopped visiting any news web sites and I refrained from tuning in to news programs on TV or radio. I have yet to return to any news programs.

It is no great feat of prediction for me to know how all of this was going to play out in the news media. After my initial, brief viewing of Fox's web page the day of the shooting, I have picked up other bits of information incidentally, such as when I deleted the half dozen or so threads that popped up in the forum, and when I overheard part of a news broadcast that my wife was watching.
I knew- as did most of you- that people were going to once again lose their minds. I did not want to have any part of that stuff, so that's why this subject has been off-limits here. It's as simple as that.

The fools on TV news programs want to use these events to garner ratings, which means money. Yes, I'm a capitalist, but these charlatans wrap themselves in the cloak of journalistic responsibility and use this as pretext for their obscene level and type of coverage they give events such as this. For God's sake, they make these murderers famous. It's lurid and it's wrong, flat-out wrong. It's not about the "publics right to know". What they do with these events is obscene and it is wrong.

And all of that is before we even get into the entirely predictable political spin they put on any mass shooting. Guys, I just can't listen to that stuff any more, nor do I wish to see panic from any gun owners.

In the wake of these shootings, people want to do something. This is perfectly natural. Forget that the problem is unfixable. We live in a sick society. Multiculturalism does not work. Lincoln predicted it- the United States shall die by suicide. We are tearing ourselves apart from within. So, the problem is unfixable, but it doesn't really matter as long as people want to blame guns for the behavior we see in society these days. It is not the guns, but just try telling people that. The deck is stacked- even if people recognized the actual cause of these shootings, the problem is not solvable.

Furthermore, it is going to happen again. It is going to happen again and before too long. And after the next one, there will be another and another. You know it's true. So, these assaults on your rights will continue and the antis, along with those who actually mean well will push, push, push.

All of this is predictable and I have had my fill of the insanity.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Para,
There does not exist a news reporter any longer, everything is over the top, agenda and money driven. The band marches to the tune of blame guns, that's what they will do what the left, liberal dems tell them. Forget suicide from the inside in some parts of this country the coroner is getting ready to make the "Y" cut.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
What pisses me of is how the media tries to make the big scary black guns the focus of all violence in the country. Never mind that that there are probably 10 million or so AR15’s in this country (that estimate is likely low) and literally only a handful get used in shootings annually.
Why don’t the news vultures address violence by a certain demographics against itself in virtually every large city in the country? Hypocrites all.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Between swearing off the "news," purging my Facebook feed, and the sanity that prevailed here in SF: I've managed not to get myself wrapped around the axel these last few days.

For your and SF's part in this, Para: Thanks!

(And I agree with you on every point you made, btw.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Perfectly said Para, thanks.
Nothing more I can add except the media bias and promoting "if it bleeds it leads" is getting REAL old.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Lots of crazy talk going on. I do understand the emotional component. I’d rather talk about meaningful and realistic control options? That’s not possible with much of the discussion and participants.

The sad thing is it will happen again, and that person already likely owns the firearm to be used.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
When you watch the news and understand that all they sell is fear, it all makes sense. Whether it is Firestone tires that rupture, a Toyota with a sticky accelerator or the annual go to flu death, they always make it so everyone should be scared. It is part of the reason I don't let my daughter watch the news.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The amok has always been amongst us, down throughout recorded human history.

The 24/7, digital,cable, broadcast, social media "news" agencies bear a HUGE responsibility for the current mass murder phenomenon.

In the interest of ratings ($), they give these amoks the idea, teach them how to do it, promise and deliver the glorification/adulation/satisfaction after the act, and never suggest any culpability of their own.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, you're one of seven-odd billion people on the planet. You want to be noticed? Just kill a bunch of people, then CNN will make sure that airport patrons in Bangladesh know your name and recognize your face.

Andy Warhol was not too far off the mark.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I hate the news but my wife insists on watching or listening to it. I just heard a blurb there's plans for a nationwide ditch day/protest march on DC by high school students being planned...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It means nothing, will solve nothing, and I think they know this. It's just an excuse for a day off.

Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I get all my news from right here. Much less stressful that way. I can't stand the hysteria from people anymore either.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's lurid and it's wrong, flat-out wrong.

You cannot preach on this enough. Ever.

Thank you for your position on this.

Cue, Don Henley.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Better words have not been written to describe this and all the other events. This too shall pass. God help us all.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Report This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
I hate the news but my wife insists on watching or listening to it. I just heard a blurb there's plans for a nationwide ditch day/protest march on DC by high school students being planned...

Lemme guess. By districts that voted against and already otherwise hate Trump?

This has morphed into yet another angle to trash Trump. I hope they keep up the attacks on the President over this incident. Trump will expose them for the frauds they are.

Agree with the luridness of all this. The media has turned these events into a predictable pre-packaged mini-series. It's great for them currently, as they need the distraction from the "crumbs" comment about tax reform, inaction on DACA, Felonia Von Pantsuit's election shenanigans, and Heinrich Holder's Soviet-style politicization of DOJ and FBI.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Report This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I agree Para. I just hope that there is enough of a pivot of believers here in this country to keep things sane.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Report This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree, we citizens are the architects of our own demise.

We outlawed murder in the US. How's that working out for you? We outlawed crime. How's that effecting our crime stats? Now you want to outlaw guns? How's that going to make a difference? It doesn't. You just can't regulate sick thinking.

This world is one big mistake that needs to be corrected, but won't be by us in my lifetime. It would take a mature society to focus on the sicknesses of the mind as the true culprit.

SJWs are unfortunately here to stay. We've learned nothing from the lesson of Al Sharpton, and Jessie Jackson. Now it's everyone from the kiddies to the 'adults'. Shaka, when the walls fell.

The best advice of this thread is to unplug for a time and let this stupidity pass. At least as long as it takes to get to the next one.

H&K-Guy

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The predictable response - demands for additional gun laws and regulations - makes me want to vomit.

None of the responses address the total failure of educators, law enforcement, mental health, and social services at the federal, state, and local level to intervene in this young mass murderer's life. None of these people face real accountability for failing to do their Goddamned jobs.

Instead the 50 million lawful gun owners who did nothing wrong, who broke no laws, and who did not fail this young mass murderer will be punished.

And I still feel like vomiting.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Para: "The fools on TV news programs want to use these events to garner ratings, which means money."

This is what I have come to realize: The whole charade following a shooting is all about money. The news programs, for starters.

The politicians rush to the mics while blood is still literally spilling. This garners them money from the anti-gun groups.

The anti-gun groups put together demonstrations-- a big one is scheduled for March 24, featuring Hollywood celebrities-- and the demonstrations, in turn, get money flowing to the anti-gun groups.

The Hollywood hypocrites participate to put a shine on their stars, which also translates to money.

Gullible people-- who send off their dollars to Brady and all the other parasites--are the dupes in this whole scam. They must wonder how and why it happens that a month after all the brouhaha-- everything settles down again! No legislation is passed. Nothing changes. The anti-gunners remain anti-gun. The pro-Second Amendment supporters remain committed to its protection.

And then it happens again.

As President Trump pointed out, the Democrats under Obama had years to pass any anti-gun legislation they wanted. But there is no money in that. The money is in the constant tug 'o war, when they get to again and again shill for dollars.

Here is how cynical I am: if there were some kind of legislation that would actually end these kinds of shootings-- of course there is not, but just say-- they would do their best to hide it. Where would Schumer, Pelosi and Feinstein be, for example, if they couldn't run to the mic and denounce the NRA?

When we argue with them-- citing the Constitution, statistics, facts, common sense-- we play their game, the tug 'o war. We should, instead, expose them all for the greedy phonies and hypocrites they are-- focusing on the complex money game they all play: the news shows, the politicians, the anti-gun groups, the celebrities.

The NRA is small financial potatoes compared with the fortunes that come from all the anti-gun groups and their billionaire backers.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ve started telling people that I refuse to debate the second amendment with anyone who eats soap or is confused by bathrooms.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post