SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
meanwhile,

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...hatter-march-record/

Background checks for gun sales shattered a record in March

The previous record for March was 2,523,265 background checks in 2016, but FBI numbers show there were 2,767,699 background checks in March 2018.

Gun buyers go HOGG WILD!!!

Gun Sales SOAR In March, Break Previous Record By A Quarter Million
Americans bought more guns last month than when they were preparing for President Hillary Clinton
https://www.dailywire.com/news...uarter-emily-zanotti

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
There would have been one more gun purchase in that month if my LGS would sell the P365 locally vs online at max price.

Posts: 23446 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ You can always use another stripped lower sooner or later.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
There would have been one more gun purchase in that month if my LGS would sell the P365 locally vs online at max price.
Take a Saturday occasionally (like I do) and enjoy a leisurely afternoon in Ormond Beach at Florida Gun Exchange. Went last weekend and returned with a haul of 5.56 and 45acp ammo.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The Village board of Trustees needs to go down in the first wave.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Aaaannddd....

Black students at Parkland support what Emma and David are doing, but want them to "pass the mike" because Emma, David and the media are ignoring black students and what they have to say.

"We're saying you don't see much of us at the forefront," 17-year-old junior Mei-Ling Ho-Shing, who is black, told HuffPost earlier this week..."It hurts, because they went all the way to Chicago to hear these voices when we're right here," Ho-Shing said, referring to a gathering last month where March For Our Lives leaders met with teens of color from a Chicago school to discuss violence. "We go to school with you everyday".

http://www.yahoo.com/news/blac...peers-125321983.html

Well, Mei-Ling, you gotta understand. They don't mind black kids, hell, they go to school with black kids. It's just that, you know, no one was ever going to get a free trip AND get on TV just for talking to you. There are priorities, y'know?

And what was it Arc was saying in the "Cui Bono" thread about the rich folks in Lexington and Concord not caring about the black and brown kids that are dying 20 miles away in Boston?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

...17-year-old junior Mei-Ling Ho-Shing, who is black..."

Brahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I'm sorry. I can't help it.

Brahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Its not that she's 17.

Its not that she is black.
Its not that she is Mei-Ling Ho-Shing.

Its whole context making it needful that the 'reporter' felt compelled to clarify these things that that makes it Theater of the Absurd.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Background checks for gun sales shattered a record in March

That doesn’t give me any warm and fuzzies. It indicates to me that gun owners are more concerned now that these latest efforts will gain traction than in the past. They (I included) may be wrong, but what we were worried about before the election were possibilities; much of what we’re seeing now are realities.

In any event, money talks so I hope those who are concerned are putting their dollars to work besides just buying more guns. I find it astonishing that some people who have owned guns all their adult lives are just now deciding to join the NRA. It’s not that I’m not glad that they’re finally doing it, but it strikes me the same as the guy who was crippled and whose wife and daughters were raped in a home invasion saying, “Maybe having a gun isn’t such a bad idea after all.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Mei-Ling Ho-Shing

If Little Richard was still with us, he could write a song for her.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Here's a man who gets it - going to his local city council meeting to give them an earful for considering canceling an upcoming gun show. More of us need to stand up and confront our local communities when they do this kind of thing.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/04...un-owner-gun-rights/

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Mei-Ling Ho-Shing...?

You've got to be kidding me...thanks to Hollywood, even Chinese parents know better than to name their daughter Mei-Ling.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Mei-Ling Ho-Shing...?

You've got to be kidding me...thanks to Hollywood, even Chinese parents know better than to name their daughter Mei-Ling.

“Cultural Appropriation” at work here?

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Aaaannddd....

Black students at Parkland support what Emma and David are doing, but want them to "pass the mike" because Emma, David and the media are ignoring black students and what they have to say.

"We're saying you don't see much of us at the forefront," 17-year-old junior Mei-Ling Ho-Shing, who is black, told HuffPost earlier this week..."It hurts, because they went all the way to Chicago to hear these voices when we're right here," Ho-Shing said, referring to a gathering last month where March For Our Lives leaders met with teens of color from a Chicago school to discuss violence. "We go to school with you everyday".

http://www.yahoo.com/news/blac...peers-125321983.html

Well, Mei-Ling, you gotta understand. They don't mind black kids, hell, they go to school with black kids. It's just that, you know, no one was ever going to get a free trip AND get on TV just for talking to you. There are priorities, y'know?

And what was it Arc was saying in the "Cui Bono" thread about the rich folks in Lexington and Concord not caring about the black and brown kids that are dying 20 miles away in Boston?

So they (Hogg, Gonzalez, et/al.) are being typical elitist liberals and using minorities (specifically blacks) as a prop for their agenda, without actually giving them a voice.

This is my shocked face. Roll Eyes

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Report This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5737 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
The Village of Deerfield IL, a suburb of Chicago, voted to ban semiautomatic assault rifle and high capacity mags.

http://abc7chicago.com/politic...tic-weapons/3294859/

$1000 per day fine if not removed by June 13. How do they enforce this? Are they basically relying on asshole neighbors to rat them out? The township and or local authorities have no access to 4473s which wouldn't do them much good anyway.

If I have 50 ARs, is that $50,000 day or $1,000 day?

If you discover my rifle on June 13th 2019, are you going to fine me $365,000 without knowing if I've had that rifle in my home for a year?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...t-tl-0412-story.html

Lawsuit challenges Deerfield's assault weapons ban: 'It flies in the face of state law'

by Karen Berkowitz Contact Reporter
Pioneer Press

A Deerfield resident and two gun owners advocacy groups filed suit Thursday against the village of Deerfield, saying the municipality does not have the authority to ban assault weapons under a 2013 state law.

The suit was filed three days after the Deerfield Village Board of Trustees on Monday unanimously outlawed the possession, sale and manufacturing of assault weapons and large-capacity magazines within the village.

The suit filed in Lake County Circuit Court says the village’s ordinance was not enacted within a 10-day window that the Illinois legislature provided municipalities in 2013 before the Illinois Concealed Carry Act eliminated their ability to do so.

Deerfield officials have characterized their ban as an amendment to a 2013 ordinance that defined assault weapons and required safe storage and transportation of those weapons within the village. It is set to go into effect June 13, according to the ordinance.

They claim that by enacting the ordinance within the allowed time frame, they preserved their right to amend the ordinance in the future.

Joining Deerfield resident Daniel Easterday and the Illinois State Rifle Association in the lawsuit is the Second Amendment Foundation based in Bellevue, Wash., which says its membership includes Deerfield residents.

“We moved swiftly to challenge this gun ban because it flies in the face of state law,” said Alan Gottlieb, founder and executive vice president of the Second Amendment Foundation in a statement. “While the village is trying to disguise this as an amendment to an existing ordinance, it is, in fact, a new law that entirely bans possession of legally-owned, semi-automatic firearms, with no exception for guns previously owned, or any provision for self-defense.”

Rose declined comment on behalf of the village of Deerfield and said a statement would be released Thursday evening or Friday morning.

Read the full lawsuit: Challenge to Deerfield weapons ban
Richard Pearson, executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association, said Deerfield chose not to prohibit assault weapons during the 10-day period afforded by the Illinois legislature.

“They are doing it years later and we feel that is in violation of the law,” Pearson said.

He added that the group also believes the ordinance violates the Second Amendment. Pearson said the organization is prepared to fight the ordinance at all levels of the judicial process.

The suit says that Easterday owns several firearms that would be considered “assault weapons” under the Deerfield ordinance for the protection of himself and his family, as well as for target shooting.

The suit says that because of the ordinance, members of the Illinois State Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation who would possess assault weapons and large capacity magazines for self defense would refrain from doing so because of the penalties in the ordinance and the requirements the weapons be confiscated or destroyed.

The city of Highland Park, which is adjacent to the village of Deerfield, enacted a ban on assault weapons in 2013 before Illinois law was amended to say that “regulation of the possession or ownership of assault weapons are exclusive powers and functions of the state.”

Months later, the city of Highland Park was sued by the Illinois State Rifle Association on behalf of a local gun owner on the grounds the ban infringed on his Second Amendment rights.

The suit was filed just days before owners of assault weapons were required to turn in, or render inoperable any firearms and ammunition magazines outlawed under the ordinance.

The Highland Park ordinance was upheld both by a U.S. District Court judge and, in a split 2-1 decision, by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.

Though the National Rifle Association appealed the Seventh Circuit ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court in 2015, the high court declined to take up the case, allowing the appellate court ruling to stand.

RELATED: Deerfield bans assault weapons and high-capacity magazines

Easterday, the Deerfield resident named in the complaint, has previously spoken at village board meetings about his opposition to the ban. On March 19, he told village officials that he moved to Deerfield from Highland Park after that city banned assault weapons in an effort to avoid having to put his semiautomatic rifles in storage.

Easterday suggested the ordinance should exempt holders of a concealed carry permit. He said obtaining his Firearm Owners Identification card requires stringent background checks and people with a concealed carry permit have even more restrictions.

“We are literally the safest members of your community,” Easterday said last month. “I’ve gone above and beyond the FOID system of training and background checks.”

In the Deerfield ordinance, the definition of an assault weapon includes, among others, semiautomatic rifles that have a fixed magazine with a capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition; shotguns with a revolving cylinder; and semiautomatic pistols and rifles that can accept large-capacity magazines and possess one of a list of other features. Among the dozens of specific models cited are the AR-15, AK-47 and Uzi, according to the ordinance.

Deerfield Mayor Harriet Rosenthal has previously stated that she decided to take up the ban after the Feb. 14 school shooting in Parkland, Fla.

“Enough is enough,” Rosenthal said when the ban was first discussed. “Those students are so articulate just like our students. There is no place here for assault weapons.”

Pioneer Press freelance reporter Steve Sadin and reporter Dan Lambert contributed.

kberkowitz@pioneerlocal.com

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Those students are so articulate just like our students. There is no place here for assault weapons.”

Ye gods. Is that what Stone and Parker were talking about when they had that long dialogue about the power of acting in "America: Fuck, Yeah!"?

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Finally... someone puts the elephant in the room square in the media.

Florida school shooting hero blames sheriff, superintendent

https://www.yahoo.com/news/flo...ndent-224054106.html

PLANTATION, Fla. (AP) — A student gravely wounded while saving his classmates' lives by blocking a door during the Florida school massacre said Friday that the county sheriff and school superintendent failed the victims by not arresting the shooter before the attack and by allowing him to attend the school.

An attorney for 15-year-old Anthony Borges read a statement from him during a news conference criticizing Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel and Superintendent Robert Runcie for the Feb. 14 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland that killed 14 students and three staff members.

Borges, too weak to talk, sat silently in a wheelchair with his right leg propped up. His statement specifically attacked the Promise program, a school district and sheriff office initiative that allows students who commit minor crimes on campus to avoid arrest if they complete rehabilitation. Runcie has said shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz, a former Stoneman Douglas student, was never in the program, but Borges and his attorney, Alex Arreaza, said school and sheriff's officials knew Cruz was dangerous.

Deputies received at least a dozen calls about Cruz, 19, over the years and he spent two years in a school for children with emotional and disciplinary problems before being allowed to transfer to Stoneman Douglas. Last year, records show, he was forced to leave after incidents — other students said he abused an ex-girlfriend and fought her new boyfriend. Weeks before the shooting, both the FBI and the sheriff's office received calls saying Cruz could become a school shooter but took no action.

Runcie and Israel "failed us students, teachers and parents alike on so many levels," Arreaza read for Borges, who sat next to his father, Roger. "I want all of us to move forward to end the environment that allowed people like Nikolas Cruz to fall through the cracks. You knew he was a problem years ago and you did nothing. He should have never been in school with us."

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Students committing crimes and found guilty should receive judgment and sentences.

If it means they get an all expenses paid greybar vacation, so be it.

Let them distance learn. If they want it, they will pursue it and get fill their education requirements.

I have heard arguments about "saving them" (young people) from a "life of crime" by breaking the cycle.

And it's mostly bullshit. If the person is inclined to make crappy choices, and behave badly, the environment will only sway the type of activities they pursue.

Proven by the fact that we have those who come from very well off environments, with solid parents and whatnot, and some are well adjusted and good citizens, and others are despicable criminals.

Same thing in an environment of the lowest terms, broken homes, abusive environment, drugs, crime all the negatives stacked against them, and some are the next iteration of it, and others become well adjusted and good citizens.

Yeah, the percentages are likely the same for the number that become what they grew up in, vs the opposite, but people are gonna people.

And that means people will choose to do as they will.

Bringing in or keeping a bad influence, or bad actor in a group, is wrong to those who's efforts are good and well meaning.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Mei-Ling Ho-Shing

If Little Richard was still with us, he could write a song for her.

'Cept he is still alive I believe, don't know if he is capable of song-writin' today though.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I have heard arguments about "saving them" (young people) from a "life of crime" by breaking the cycle.

And it's mostly bullshit.
No, the program enacted in South Florida is complete and utter bullshit and all but guarantees many of these kids will never function in society. If bad behavior is not identified and punished appropriately, even the kids who might be saved will slip into the liability column.

This ridiculously asinine program had one goal and one goal only...to drive down the number of minority kids punished without any care or consideration of the consequences that would cause. This is liberal ideology in its purest form. Its also shown us just how horrifically dangerous that ideology is when all reason or rational behavior is removed from the equation.

I hope Mr. Borges sues the ever loving hell out of the Broward Sheriff's Department and/or the Broward County school system. Nothing will likely ever make his son whole again, but the people responsible should have to dig deep.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post