SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I can't believe you guys are having this conversation. Buckets of rocks?

Well...you can't have "sticks" without the "stones"...to "break those bones" Big Grin...maybe if those "stones" are zipping along at 1200 fps (+or -)

Curious. We can trust all students to use the bucket of rocks only for valid and justifyable self defense against those attacking with firearms (and never use the rocks inappropriately). And we feel such will be reasonably effective to thwart the attack. And such is a better approach than having a teacher properly trained and armed?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
who doesn't think that for a moment those "rocks" won't be thrown at the kids being bullied now?

quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
I'm a big advocate of defending yourself, but the rocks just seem silly. Of course, I've never been 'stoned' and could be mistaken about the effectiveness of rock throwing. I can concede that multiple rocks to the face would be unpleasant.

Again, it’s a start.

Once kids start learning that it’s okay to defend themselves I expect their want of better items to use will come along with it.

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Report This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bjor13:
who doesn't think that for a moment those "rocks" won't be thrown at the kids being bullied now?

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
But if a teacher decides to lockdown a classroom, there are rocks in a five-gallon bucket kept in every classroom closet that students could throw if shooters get inside.

Or any other reason students might feel the urge to throw rocks.

Isn’t this essentially the same argument the left has against teachers being armed?

To answer your question; nothing. But what stops anyone with a concealed carry permit from
killing the guy who cuts them off in traffic? Same answer. Nothing.

The fear of arming people is kinda surprising on this forum.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Reality so accurately and concisely depicted in a single image.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m supportive of trained and armed presence in schools. I don’t see rocks as being effective in school except as a defense of last resort and by athletes who throw things. A shooter in a room with a kid throwing rocks will get killed just like the kid cowering on the floor. Probably sooner. But agree if it comes down to it, it’s better than doing nothing.

Aren’t there solutions that can hinder or disable a shooter after everybody is locked in a classsroom? Something that requires no presumption of skill and no risk to innocents? Dumb idea but just brainstorming for concept, If it’s an inside school, for a given hallway after all innocents are in a locked classroom for that hallway, if the shooter enters the hallway, flood the hallway floor with lubricant. Dumb I know because that could hinder escapes or response teams as well.

All I’m saying is that I think the rock scenario is a last resort and we should focus more on preventing that situation.

Even if I’m in a room with a dozen pitchers throwing rocks st a shooter using the doorway for cover, I’m thinking I’m not leaving that room without getting shot. I’ll throw rocks but survival is more about luck than skill.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Every classroom has been equipped with a five-gallon bucket of river stone. If an armed intruder attempts to gain entrance into any of our classrooms, they will face a classroom full students armed with rocks and they will be stoned,” said Dr. David Helsel.

No, Dr. Helsel, anyone who advocates for this idea is stoned.

This brilliant concept will last just long enough for the first child to throw a rock at another child.

That such a "box of rocks" idea is even being proposed, by "adults" as a practical and effective solution to the problem of a murderer armed with a modern firearm is patently preposterous. Roll Eyes

It's like the Last Samurai, only staring scared children, without cool swords and armor.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Instead of going to a gun range they could go to a rock throwing range so they’ll be all practiced up and ready to take on the bad guys. They could have some fancy targets with a picture of another kid holding an AR to use for target practice. They could start out at 7 yards and work their way out to maybe 100 yards. Yep, this will all work out just fine for them to defend their lives.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Report This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
But what stops anyone with a concealed carry permit from

To borrow/ butcher a line from Star Trek: It's easier for a civilized man to act like a savage, than it is for a savage to act like a civilized man.

Most of us are civilized. Or, at least civilized enough to control our emotions.

We used to lock away the savages, those who were physically savage and mentally savage.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Irony, party of one.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12327 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Reality so accurately and concisely depicted in a single image.

The picture highlights the fact they don't know the consequences of their demands or actions. Only a fool or tool wants more government.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I’m supportive of trained and armed presence in schools. I don’t see rocks as being effective in school except as a defense of last resort and by athletes who throw things. A shooter in a room with a kid throwing rocks will get killed just like the kid cowering on the floor. Probably sooner. But agree if it comes down to it, it’s better than doing nothing.

Aren’t there solutions that can hinder or disable a shooter after everybody is locked in a classsroom? Something that requires no presumption of skill and no risk to innocents? Dumb idea but just brainstorming for concept, If it’s an inside school, for a given hallway after all innocents are in a locked classroom for that hallway, if the shooter enters the hallway, flood the hallway floor with lubricant. Dumb I know because that could hinder escapes or response teams as well.

All I’m saying is that I think the rock scenario is a last resort and we should focus more on preventing that situation.

Even if I’m in a room with a dozen pitchers throwing rocks st a shooter using the doorway for cover, I’m thinking I’m not leaving that room without getting shot. I’ll throw rocks but survival is more about luck than skill.

You didn't see Braveheart? "I shoulda remembered the rocks...."

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Aren't the retards advocating that children use a bucket o' rocks against a homicidal gunman the same people saying (to excuse the coward deputy's refusal to engage the shooter) that a guy armed with pistol is no match for a guy with a rifle?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Irony, party of one.

This is the only way to get these kids to use their brains. They can't be reasoned with.

-Clear backpacks
-Clear locker doors
-Usernames and passwords for all social media accounts
-Spare car keys held by school if you want to park on school property with random searches throughout the day
-Searches/downloads of phones for texts and photos etc.
-Mandatory after school sessions covering bullying, warning signs etc

posted Hide Post
Been watching some of the goings on of the march this morning. Each time something absurd is said and especially when the NRA is verbally accosted, I find myself saying, "Not Really, Asshole(s)."

Posts: 589 | Location: Alexandria, LA | Registered: April 09, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
When's the march? So far it doesn't look like anyone showed up. All I saw was lots of distorted camera angles of a small crowd.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:...But what stops anyone with a concealed carry permit from

So you beieve a room of those with CCW permits, who have passed background checks, likely received some good training, are as likely to get routy and vicious as the same room of teenagers with a bucket of rocks?

You live in a different world than I do.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:...But what stops anyone with a concealed carry permit from

So you beieve a room of those with CCW permits, who have passed background checks, likely received some good training, are as likely to get routy and vicious as the same room of teenagers with a bucket of rocks?

You live in a different world than I do.

What is ignored, too, is that apparent fact that CCW holders have a better violent crime rate better than the citizenry as a whole, and even better than that of LEOs.

Those who go to the trouble to obtain the permits must be conscious of the value, aware of the limitations, and realization that screwing up means no more permit, so responsibility is required. Result..... very few problems.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:...CCW holders have a better violent crime rate better than the citizenry as a whole, and even better than that of LEOs.

Those who go to the trouble to obtain the permits must be conscious of the value, aware of the limitations, and realization that screwing up means no more permit, so responsibility is required. Result..... very few problems.

Jallen, you have a way with words, maybe you might consider going into law or such. Wink

Hope you are doing well.

Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
Just heard from my son, who has to work this event today (cellular technician). He said it's really crowded and you can't move around much, and that SJW's are the worst! Also notes that cell service is terrible, assuming heavy bandwidth demand.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Report This Post