SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://www.policeone.com/acti...-SRO-Blaine-Gaskill/

A school shooting at a Maryland high school Tuesday morning was stopped by an armed school resource officer who intervened by confronting the gunman.

After news came out about Deputy Blaine Gaskill, many drew comparisons to the school resource officer who failed to respond to an active shooter in a Florida school. His inaction drew nationwide criticism and sparked questions about the effectiveness of SRO programs.

5. Gaskill’s bravery underscores the importance of solo-officer response.

Gone are the days of waiting for backup and setting up a perimeter in the event of an active shooter. Solo-officer response has been proven as a key tactic to preventing further bloodshed during an attack on a soft target. Gaskill’s actions were in stark contrast to the actions of SRO Scot Peterson and other LEOs on the scene in the initial minutes of the Feb. 14 massacre in Parkland.

"He responded exactly how we train our personnel to respond," Cameron said.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My own letter to the editor of our little newspaper that was printed today (along with extensive coverage of the walkout at our local high school):

The common-sense need to limit inappropriate “rights.”

The country recently witnessed demonstrations demanding that the government do something about what many people believe is a danger to us all. They feel we are facing a national crisis, but that action is paralyzed due to a misguided sense that the rights of those who would be affected are more important than that the rest of us feel safe.

Oh, wait: It wasn’t this year when that happened, but in 1942. And it wasn’t the rights of gun owners being threatened, but the rights of Americans of Japanese heritage who were being rounded up and sent to desolate concentration camps. Otherwise, however, the principles involved were very similar. The demand that Japanese-Americans be stripped of their liberties enjoyed broad support across the country, from the President who signed the order on down. And the reason? Then as now: “Because we were afraid of them and didn’t feel safe.”

So, were the fears back then justified? Japanese military forces were seemingly invincible—and also as fearsome as any barbarian horde in history. The attack on U.S. soil at Pearl Harbor that killed thousands of U.S. sailors and civilians had occurred only a few months earlier, the British bastion of Singapore had fallen weeks before, and Japanese soldiers had committed serial horrors and atrocities in China previously. If all that wasn’t enough, the U.S. was woefully unprepared to defend itself. Soldiers like my father on the West Coast were reduced to frantically loading machine gun belts with loose cartridges by hand.

Newspapers were full of warning of the dangers we supposedly faced, such as a cartoon by Theodor Geisel (“Dr. Seuss”) showing Japanese-Americans lined up to receive explosives to use in sabotage operations. At the start of the war millions of Americans would have also remembered that in World War I German immigrants helped commit many successful acts of sabotage here.

In spite of all that, if a similar situation existed today, how many of us would join a demonstration to demand that all members of a particular group be stripped of their rights and locked up because their names were similar to a distant enemy’s? The answer is obvious. Later generations were embarrassed and disgusted by the thought of fellow Americans being sent to concentration camps because of their names or appearance. Following every bomb or vehicle attack today we are admonished to not blame the terrorists’ coreligionists for the acts of a few fanatical criminals. Although it took far too long, the Japanese-Americans who spent the war in concentration camps were even awarded payments in recognition of how their basic human and Constitutional rights had been violated for no reason other than that people didn’t “feel safe” around them.

We pride ourselves in living in a more enlightened and progressive age than 76 years ago, but how does the way Americans of Japanese heritage were treated then differ from how some people wish for another group of Americans—the gun owners—to be treated today? The answer is that the same irrational hysteria generated by sensationalist political propaganda then is being used now against gun owners who are no more deserving of having their rights violated than were the Americans who were locked up in concentration camps. In more ways than not, we gun owners are like the Japanese-Americans of 1942. We are your friends, neighbors, co-workers, fellow students, business owners, and customers. We are emergency medical providers, firefighters, and law enforcement officers, as well as being over-represented among the tiny minority of Americans who have ever served in our armed forces.

In short, large numbers of gun owners have always lived in our communities, and yet some people are suddenly scared of us now? If you need something to really be afraid of, remember that guns aren’t necessary to commit horrible acts of mass murder. In one event after another and around the world substitutes are found when guns aren’t available.

A letter like this is necessarily limited in length, and I therefore can’t begin to explain the reasons why I have a right to own guns despite the actions of a few deranged criminals. I will only assert that I do have that right, and it’s as important to me as not being dragged from my home and locked up in a concentration camp because of where my ancestors were born. But for all those who believe they are justified in violating the rights and liberties of their neighbors whom they have no legitimate reason to fear, I’ll point out a fundamental fact: If you support violating others’ rights that don’t matter to you, you’ll have no reason to complain when others violate your rights that don’t matter to them.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Excellent editorial Sigfreund

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, wait: It wasn’t this year when that happened, but in 1942. And it wasn’t the rights of gun owners being threatened, but the rights of Americans of Japanese heritage who were being rounded up and sent to desolate concentration camps. Otherwise, however, the principles involved were very similar. The demand that Japanese-Americans be stripped of their liberties enjoyed broad support across the country, from the President who signed the order on down. And the reason? Then as now: “Because we were afraid of them and didn’t feel safe.”

I wonder how much influence the Niihau Incident had on these events?

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
https://www.policeone.com/acti...-SRO-Blaine-Gaskill/

A school shooting at a Maryland high school Tuesday morning was stopped by an armed school resource officer who intervened by confronting the gunman.

After news came out about Deputy Blaine Gaskill, many drew comparisons to the school resource officer who failed to respond to an active shooter in a Florida school. His inaction drew nationwide criticism and sparked questions about the effectiveness of SRO programs.

5. Gaskill’s bravery underscores the importance of solo-officer response.

Gone are the days of waiting for backup and setting up a perimeter in the event of an active shooter. Solo-officer response has been proven as a key tactic to preventing further bloodshed during an attack on a soft target. Gaskill’s actions were in stark contrast to the actions of SRO Scot Peterson and other LEOs on the scene in the initial minutes of the Feb. 14 massacre in Parkland.

"He responded exactly how we train our personnel to respond," Cameron said.

This is how fucked up the left is.

Facebook Memorializes School Shooter By Asking People To ‘Remember And Celebrate His Life’

http://dailycaller.com/2018/03...oter-austin-rollins/

Posts: 5737 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed!!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
quote:

Agreed!!
Yep. Well conceived, constructed, and delivered, yet way beyond the ability of most leftists to even grasp. And therein lies one of the biggest problems plaguing this country. Facts and reality no longer matter. The mental illness of these random shooters is far overshadowed by the rampant mental illness of those on the Left who create and support a societal environment that spawns and protects them.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Out of the park sigfreund. Excellent. Should be syndicated nationally (I guess it is on Sigforum Smile)

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The Parkland schools are being hardened to prevent further violence:

"Metal detectors, clear backpacks and a heavy police presence will be part of the new normal at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High.

Superintendent Robert Runcie announced new security measures Wednesday in an attempt to calm students and parents, who have been on edge since a former student killed 17 students and staffers on Feb. 14.

“It’s going to be a substantial change from where we are today, and it’s going to create some inconvenience,” Runcie said. “But folks are going to have to realize you’re going to have to accept some level of inconvenience for the enhanced security that’s going to be implemented.”

Early Thursday, eight Florida Highway Patrol officers supplied by Gov. Rick Scott were in place — guarding the outside entrances of the Parkland school. They are in addition to about a half dozen law enforcement from the district and Broward Sheriff’s Office inside the building.

Spring Break begins Friday, and the heavy police presence will return when students come back April 2.

Sheri Kuperman, who has three children at Stoneman Douglas, said she’s open to the new security measures.

“We go through metal detectors when we go the airport,” she said. “I don’t know if it’s going to stop anything or not.”
Ricci Nelson, the parent of a senior, didn’t know if it’s a good idea.

“It’s going from one extreme to the other,” she said.

The district is considering lengthening the school day at Stoneman Douglas to accommodate the extra time it will take for more than 3,200 students to go through security, Runcie said.

The measures come after several incidents this week further rattled students, parents and teachers.

On Tuesday, two students were arrested for bringing knives to school and a third was arrested for making an online threat.

That came a day after Zachary Cruz, whose brother Nikolas Cruz is charged in the school massacre, was arrested for trespassing on campus. Zachary Cruz is being held in jail in lieu of $500,000 bail.

Runcie said the district is also taking a number of steps to increase security at all schools.

These include:

-- Effective immediately, all safety rules are being enforced, including requiring students and staff to wear identification badges while on campus, locking classroom doors at all times, locking and securing exterior doors and gates throughout the day, and monitoring the campus regularly.

-- The district is conducting “code red” drills, or active shooter training, throughout the school year at all schools. “We are working with law enforcement agencies to evaluate the protocols and frequency of code red training and drills for all schools for the next school year,” Runcie said.

-- The district is upgrading real-time surveillance camera systems at all schools. The work will be completed by June 2018.

-- The district has expedited the completion of “single point of entry” measures for campus visitors, which use fencing and door systems to limit access to one entrance. Runcie said the work will be completed at all schools by early 2019.

-- The district will use $8.5 million in new state funding to provide at least one school resource officer in all schools starting in the fall.

-- The district will use $6 million in state money to expand mental health services beginning in the 2018/19 school year.

-- The district will develop a security risk assessment for each school to be completed by August.

-- The district will apply for a share of $98 million in state money to improve the physical security of schools. The state expects to award the money in early 2019.

“Keeping our students, staff and schools safe is the responsibility of everyone in our community,” Runcie said.

But Broward Commissioner Michael Udine said Zachary Cruz’ ability to get on campus was a “major setback for what they’re trying to do” at the school.

“Parents don’t have confidence to send their kids back to school,” said Udine, who represents the Parkland area. “We need to have police officers out there that are engaged, doing their job.”

A Broward Sheriff’s Office deputy assigned to guard the school was caught sleeping in his car. He was suspended with pay pending an internal investigation.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/lo...-20180321-story.html

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Those Parkland kids I'm sure will enjoy going to school in a prison. Morons.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3599 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Way to close the barn doors, guys. Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
My own letter to the editor of our little newspaper that was printed today (along with extensive coverage of the walkout at our local high school):

The common-sense need to limit inappropriate “rights.”

The country recently witnessed demonstrations demanding that the government do something about what many people believe is a danger to us all. They feel we are facing a national crisis, but that action is paralyzed due to a misguided sense that the rights of those who would be affected are more important than that the rest of us feel safe.

So, were the fears back then justified? Japanese military forces were seemingly invincible—and also as fearsome as any barbarian horde in history. The attack on U.S. soil at Pearl Harbor that killed thousands of U.S. sailors and civilians had occurred only a few months earlier, the British bastion of Singapore had fallen weeks before, and Japanese soldiers had committed serial horrors and atrocities in China previously. If all that wasn’t enough, the U.S. was woefully unprepared to defend itself. Soldiers like my father on the West Coast were reduced to frantically loading machine gun belts with loose cartridges by hand.

Newspapers were full of warning of the dangers we supposedly faced, such as a cartoon by Theodor Geisel (“Dr. Seuss”) showing Japanese-Americans lined up to receive explosives to use in sabotage operations. At the start of the war millions of Americans would have also remembered that in World War I German immigrants helped commit many successful acts of sabotage here.

In spite of all that, if a similar situation existed today, how many of us would join a demonstration to demand that all members of a particular group be stripped of their rights and locked up because their names were similar to a distant enemy’s? The answer is obvious. Later generations were embarrassed and disgusted by the thought of fellow Americans being sent to concentration camps because of their names or appearance. Following every bomb or vehicle attack today we are admonished to not blame the terrorists’ coreligionists for the acts of a few fanatical criminals. Although it took far too long, the Japanese-Americans who spent the war in concentration camps were even awarded payments in recognition of how their basic human and Constitutional rights had been violated for no reason other than that people didn’t “feel safe” around them.

We pride ourselves in living in a more enlightened and progressive age than 76 years ago, but how does the way Americans of Japanese heritage were treated then differ from how some people wish for another group of Americans—the gun owners—to be treated today? The answer is that the same irrational hysteria generated by sensationalist political propaganda then is being used now against gun owners who are no more deserving of having their rights violated than were the Americans who were locked up in concentration camps. In more ways than not, we gun owners are like the Japanese-Americans of 1942. We are your friends, neighbors, co-workers, fellow students, business owners, and customers. We are emergency medical providers, firefighters, and law enforcement officers, as well as being over-represented among the tiny minority of Americans who have ever served in our armed forces.

In short, large numbers of gun owners have always lived in our communities, and yet some people are suddenly scared of us now? If you need something to really be afraid of, remember that guns aren’t necessary to commit horrible acts of mass murder. In one event after another and around the world substitutes are found when guns aren’t available.

A letter like this is necessarily limited in length, and I therefore can’t begin to explain the reasons why I have a right to own guns despite the actions of a few deranged criminals. I will only assert that I do have that right, and it’s as important to me as not being dragged from my home and locked up in a concentration camp because of where my ancestors were born. But for all those who believe they are justified in violating the rights and liberties of their neighbors whom they have no legitimate reason to fear, I’ll point out a fundamental fact: If you support violating others’ rights that don’t matter to you, you’ll have no reason to complain when others violate your rights that don’t matter to them.

Well thought, which paper was this printed.

Thanks

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
Those Parkland kids I'm sure will enjoy going to school in a prison. Morons.

Oh trust me on this...social media will be red hot with bitching about the new changes (the quote from the article by a parent saying "it's going from one extreme to the other" is just the tip of the iceberg)...

I know what a fuss was made by parents and especially Jr. High and High School kids in my neighborhood a few years back when they changed the route from the "early bus" to having to take the "late bus" home (adding about 35-40 minutes to the getting home time)...you would have thought the school board had mandated weekend classes...

I can just imagine how these changes will play out with the current generation.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Reap what you sow.....

posted Hide Post
Liberal "thinking" here:

“The only way you’re going to end gun violence is to get rid of guns,” Weisser said.

Now, a group of students is working toward that.

Complete article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.534302df261d

A city that makes guns confronts its role in the Parkland mass shooting

By Todd C. Frankel
March 22 at 8:18 PM

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — Hussein Abdi, 19, had never given much thought to the gunmaker down the street from his high school. He often passed the Smith & Wesson factory and its flashing marquee touting the company’s deep ties to the city, “Since 1852.” Nyasia Jordan, 18, knew it only as the place where her mom used to work. It’s one of the city’s largest employers. Others saw Smith & Wesson’s presence as another detail central to Springfield’s identity, the place where basketball was invented, Dr. Seuss was born and guns are made.

But this once-easy relationship between city and gunmaker has been rattled by the discovery that the firearm used to kill 17 people at a Parkland, Fla., high school last month was made here. The gun was a Smith & Wesson M&P15, a version of the controversial AR-15 military-style rifle. And that weapon had been used in mass shootings before, including in Aurora, Colo., and San Bernardino, Calif.

In the weeks since the Parkland shooting, as companies like Delta Air Lines severed promotional ties with the National Rifle Association and Dick’s Sporting Goods stopped selling AR-15s, Smith & Wesson has found itself increasingly drawn into the public debate over gun violence. Now, for perhaps the first time in its long history, the gunmaker is also being attacked at home. Last week, protesters gathered outside the factory gates. Local students launched a letter-writing campaign directed at the company. They also plan to target the gunmaker this weekend during the city’s “March for Our Lives” rally.

The gun debate is different in Springfield, where talk of gun control collides with concerns about jobs and the role of a local company in a national tragedy. Student activists, energized by the Parkland survivors’ call for new gun laws, are struggling to balance their demands with the fact that guns support the local community and their parents’ jobs. Some older residents are starting to question their high regard for the gunmaker.

“They’ve always been viewed as a major employer, but they are also viewed now as making weapons used in mass shootings,” said the Rev. Douglas Fisher, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Western Massachusetts, based in Springfield, whose parishioners work at the gunmaker.

Not everyone supports the idea of taking on Smith & Wesson — or even wants to wade into the debate. Both the city’s Democratic mayor and its only trauma hospital, where most gunshot victims are treated, declined to discuss the role of Smith & Wesson in the gun-violence debate.

“This is a town where guns are interwoven into the economic story,” said Tara Parrish, director of the Pioneer Valley Project, a Springfield-based community advocacy group. “Gun manufacturing is just part of the fabric here.”

But now some are seeing an old industry in new ways.

Abdi grew up in Springfield, worried about gun violence. A Kenyan refu­gee who has spent more than half his life here, Abdi lives in the city’s south end where, he said, shootings are common. But those deaths happen one by one. The intense focus on one mass shooting and a single gunmaker has provided an opening for his own long-simmering concern.

“I feel a special responsibility on this one,” Abdi said, standing just outside Smith & Wesson’s gates after school. “I feel like we’re the people who can do it. Because look, it’s right there.”

A pillar of the community
Springfield can seem like an unlikely home for the nation’s second-largest firearms manufacturer. Massachusetts has some of the nation’s most stringent gun laws, including a ban on most AR-15s. Smith & Wesson can’t even sell its M&P15 in the state.

But Springfield sits in the heart of “Gun Valley,” named for the massive armory that for almost two centuries produced most of the U.S. military’s small firearms, spurring other gunmakers to locate nearby. The armory’s closure in 1968 devastated the local economy.

Today, Smith & Wesson is among the city’s largest employers, behind MassMutual and the Big Y supermarket chain. And those jobs are needed. The unemployment rate in Springfield, the state’s third-largest city, stands at 6.7 percent, almost three points higher than in the state overall. The gunmaker also contributes to local charities and sponsors local events, including the “Garden of Peace” at the city’s annual holiday lights display — which some residents find a little ironic.

About 1,400 people worked at Smith & Wesson as recently as three years ago, when the firearms industry was booming amid worries about gun policy under President Barack Obama. Firearms sales have plummeted since then.

Smith & Wesson has been hit hard. Today it has 25 percent fewer manufacturing workers than a year ago, according to an earnings conference call for analysts earlier this month with the gunmaker’s parent company, American Outdoor Brands. Its stock price is down 60 percent since President Trump was elected. Still, Smith & Wesson — which did not respond to multiple requests for comment — reported selling $773 million in guns last year.

Good will toward gunmaker

It was just one gun that changed the conversation in Springfield. Dean Rohan heard about it from his daughter.

They were eating dinner at home in the Springfield suburbs when Jamison, 16, said she wanted to join the local gun-control protests, in part because a Smith & Wesson gun had been used in the Parkland massacre. They were a family comfortable with guns. Dean Rohan used to be an avid hunter. Jamison had a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun when she was younger.

“Smith & Wesson has been here my whole life,” Dean Rohan recalled. “I’ve never looked at them in a bad way.”

But listening to his daughter made him think. He was reluctant to blame the gunmaker. He blamed a lack of gun control. He saw no need for bump stocks or AR-15s. But he felt this kind of nuance is often lost in the all-or-nothing politics of the national gun debate.

Springfield — because it is a major gunmaker in a state with tight regulation — is home to seeming contradictions about guns. Carolyn Goldstein, a pediatrician in Springfield, said she hates gun violence but doesn’t blame the local gunmaker for causing it.

“We don’t think about Smith & Wesson. It doesn’t come back to them,” Goldstein said.

She’s married to Mike Weisser, who for years ran a gun shop in a nearby suburb. Both favor a federal ban on AR-15s, at least.

“The only way you’re going to end gun violence is to get rid of guns,” Weisser said.

Now, a group of students is working toward that.

At a Dunkin’ Donuts in the suburb of East Longmeadow, four students plotted how to target Smith & Wesson. They had mailed a letter to the company the day before to “call on you to rise above these politicians and cease the sale of assault weapons to the public such as the AR-15 that was used in the Parkland shooting.”

“I think the gun companies should support us,” said Sarah Reyes, 16.

“Why would they?” asked Amelia Ryan, 18. “Smith & Wesson is all guns. What else are they going to do?”

In the days after the Parkland shooting, Ryan found herself searching for “How to survive a mass shooting” videos online. She devoured the social media clips posted by Parkland students while the shooting was still going on. She read the victims’ obituaries and was struck by the photo of one boy wearing a sweatshirt with the name of the college where he’d been accepted but would never attend.

Still, the teens were reluctant to go too hard after the company.

“They employ a lot of people,” Ryan said.

The students also discussed their plans for a local version of the national “March for Our Lives,” which they hoped to take past the front gates of Smith & Wesson. But they decided against it. They worried about attacking Smith & Wesson too directly. They had friends whose parents worked there. They didn’t want to see it shut down. They wanted it to stop selling AR-15s.

“I kind of see Smith & Wesson like MassMutual,” said Trevaughn Smith, 17. “If they close down, that would be detrimental . . .”

“. . . to the economy at least,” Ryan finished.

But not everyone in the city felt as energized to protest gun violence as the students meeting at Dunkin’ Donuts. Anthony, a former Smith & Wesson employee who now works at a local gun shop, said he supported the students’ right to protest, even if he disagreed with their message. Anthony, who declined to give his last name, said he didn’t feel that the 17 deaths in Florida were the fault of Smith & Wesson.

“It’s not their fault that a lone individual did something evil,” he said, comparing it to a drunk driver killing someone. “Do we stop selling cars then?”

At New O’Brien’s Corner bar, a few blocks from Smith & Wesson, a nurse offered a defense of the gunmaker.

“I love Smith & Wesson,” said Lauren Townley, enjoying a post-shift drink with two co-workers. She owns a Smith & Wesson handgun, an M&P Shield.

Tammy Pouliot looked at her. Pouliot had been working at a hospital in Danbury, Conn., in 2012 when just a few miles away the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting resulted in the death of 20 children and six adults. The shooter used a Bushmaster AR-15-style rifle.

“Why should you or anyone else have access to an AR?” Pouliot asked.

Townley softened briefly, then said again she didn’t support new gun laws. “The problem is society,” she said.

“I still feel like there needs to be more limits,” said Pouloit.

Something’s got to be done’
Later that day, there was a small protest outside Smith & Wesson — the first, many believed, in at least a generation. Five city police cars blocked off the main gate, supplementing Smith & Wesson’s private security force.

“Oh my God,” said Hussein Abdi. “What do they think is going to happen? We’re going to rush in there?”

About 100 people stood on a small spit of land next to a four-lane road across from the gunmaker. The Pioneer Valley Project helped organize the protest. Some people had taken buses down from Boston and Holyoke. But most were locals. Episcopal leaders, dressed in purple scarves and cloaks, stood with other local clergy. Jamison Rohan had convinced her father to drive her down.

Now she stood holding a sign reading, “#NEVER AGAIN,” while he stood off to the side, watching and taking photos. Two Springfield students were joined by their grandfather wearing a “Vietnam Vet” baseball cap.

“Something’s got to be done,” Tom Wyrostek, 68, said.

Abdi peeked at his cellphone to study the short speech he was about to give. He was senior class president at Springfield Central High, but he’d never done something like this before.

“Smith & Wesson needs to see us and know they can’t hide from us,” Abdi said into a microphone.

The protest ended with a letter delivered to the front gate demanding that Smith & Wesson executives meet with city residents to talk about gun violence. A week later, the gunmaker had not responded.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Here’s a lovely video showcasing the maturity of the young man who has become a spokesman for the movement. Roll Eyes

Edit to add. Forgot the NSFW warning.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He's a know-nothing child, still living at home. I do not take life advice from children, not even if they claim some kind of extra-special victimhood.

Go fuck yourself, little man. You're too ignorant to bother with.

You can scowl all you want. I'll build another AR, buy 30 more magazines and 2000 rounds of ammunition, you little bastard, all in your honor.

And nothing that you can do can stop me.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Whenever I see his face, I see the face of a person, if he had the power to do so, would shove someone into a cattle car for a one way trip to a concentration camp and a gas chamber...especially if you are to "old" to know how to send an Imessage and don't know how to use government...much less being a gun owner...we are all seen as useless in his dark eyes (even his "old assed" parents)...

The little shit is on an ego trip and will say and do anything to further his plan to get his education paid for by and work for the MSM...I'm sure they are going to fight over who who gets him...my money is on CNN

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He's just part of a new generation of Brown Shirts but there's not even one Goddamned thing he can do to my Constitutional rights.

Y'hear that, you scowling little know-nothing bastard?

The last thing I need is another AR but I swear to God I'll build one in your honor, you arrogant little shit.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I can't watch Hogg. His ignorance, naivete, mendacity and selfisness targeted at innocent citizens makes me wince. He should be ashamed of himself, but pride will prevent that. He'd be a minor aggravation if our politicians were not so weak and corrupt themselves. If Hogg isn't shut down soon, over his life time he'll do great damage to the innocent and liberty as a whole. He is the face of propaganda.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post