SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Am I the only person that pretty much assumed those granola ass REI dudes were already anti-gun?

Wait a second here. Next you'll be saying that Patagonia is a bunch of lefty weirdos.

Wink

I've never spent a dime at either outfit and with this move, it seems that that will continue.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I the only person that pretty much assumed those granola ass REI dudes were already anti-gun?

Of course not, but there’s a big difference between having anti-gun beliefs and bragging about them.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Report This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I sent a note of chastisement; here is their response:

REI statement on relationship with Vista Outdoor

REI does not sell guns. We believe that it is the job of companies that manufacture and sell guns and ammunition to work towards common sense solutions that prevent the type of violence that happened in Florida last month. In the last few days, we’ve seen such action from companies like Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart and we applaud their leadership.

This week, we have been in active discussions with Vista Outdoor, which has recently acquired several companies that are longtime partners of REI. These include Giro, Bell, Camelbak, Camp Chef and Blackburn. Vista also owns Savage Arms, which manufactures guns including “modern sporting rifles.”

This morning we learned that Vista does not plan to make a public statement that outlines a clear plan of action. As a result, we have decided to place a hold on future orders of products that Vista sells through REI while we assess how Vista proceeds.

Companies are showing they can contribute if they are willing to lead. We encourage Vista to do just that

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:...It takes about 5 minutes to terminate your account via chat, I did it in the time it took to post that first post and this one....

I will do the same once I get my "dividend" in a couple of weeks.

You can cash out/get a check for your dividend. You don't have to use it in the store. REI doesn't really promote this but you can.

https://www.rei.com/membership/request-a-check

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
So Cabela's gets more of my business. Fine with me. There is also Backcountry.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
I sent a note of chastisement; here is their response:

REI statement on relationship with Vista Outdoor

REI does not sell guns. We believe that it is the job of companies that manufacture and sell guns and ammunition to work towards common sense solutions that prevent the type of violence that happened in Florida last month. In the last few days, we’ve seen such action from companies like Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart and we applaud their leadership.

This week, we have been in active discussions with Vista Outdoor, which has recently acquired several companies that are longtime partners of REI. These include Giro, Bell, Camelbak, Camp Chef and Blackburn. Vista also owns Savage Arms, which manufactures guns including “modern sporting rifles.”

This morning we learned that Vista does not plan to make a public statement that outlines a clear plan of action. As a result, we have decided to place a hold on future orders of products that Vista sells through REI while we assess how Vista proceeds.

Companies are showing they can contribute if they are willing to lead. We encourage Vista to do just that

I got the same canned response. So REI is going to punish the hard working people at several companies because these companies are owned by a larger one that also owns a firearms company. Said firearms company isn't making a public statement on a plan of action. What kind of plan of action should the company make? Gezz what a stupid response.

REI is digging the hole deeper as far as this customer returning.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Too bad, ive dropped a few grand in the last few years at REI for my backpacking/camping stuff. Guess Ill just use them as a showroom floor for online purchases through amazon.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:

Great. REI just opened a beautiful new store here in Winter Park and I've been trying to get up there to tour the store. With the comments noted above, now I can forget that trip as I won't be going near REI's website or their local store. Wading into a fight that isn't yours and trying to blackmail vendors into supporting your liberal agenda is going to keep my wallet closed.

Wonder how many of the 15k people noted in the original story are actually REI customers, and how many paying customers REI is likely to lose because of this stupid move?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:

REI is digging the hole deeper as far as this customer returning.

And, if my 2 visits to REI are any indicator, they are digging that hole with a $500 shovel that doesn't dig much better than the $20 shovel I bought at the army surplus store.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I just got a new Giro helmet, and a Blackburn pump, and it wasn't from REI. REI is way overpriced, no need to go there. They over estimate themselves and under estimate their opponents. Another store I won't spend money at. There that was easy.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am shocked . . . shocked I tell you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
REI enters a debate they have nothing to do with. Stupid decision IMHO.

https://gearjunkie.com/rei-vis...tdoor-gun-debate-nra

Except they are 'placing a hold' on future orders from Vista Outdoors. So they are waist deep in it.

"Vista Outdoor owns many popular outdoors brands like CamelBak, Giro, and Bell. But it also manufacturers guns and ammunition like those used in the Parkland, Florida, school shooting last month.

It owns firearms manufacturer Savage Arms and ammunition maker Federal Premium. It also contributes to the NRA. Consumers launched a petition for REI to stop carrying Vista Outdoor products that has thus far netted more than 15,000 signatures.

Companies are showing they can contribute if they are willing to lead. We encourage Vista to do just that."

Fail.

This is terribly disappointing...not surprising, disappointing. There goes my oldest Son's & DIL's Christmas. Used to be REI gift cards every year is all they wanted. They live in Cali so all this crap may be OK with them. We haven't discussed it but I have noticed a creeping indoctrination the past 3 years or so. Regardless, cash this year and they can spend it wherever they wish...probably REI.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Report This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
follow up to an earlier post

earlier the Georgia House had passed the bill, now the GA senate also

Pro-gun Georgia lawmakers scored a political victory Thursday over Delta Air Lines, making good on Republican threats to deny the company a hefty tax break after it cut ties with the National Rifle Association in the wake of the deadly shooting at a Florida high school.

The state House and Senate within hours of each other passed a sweeping tax bill that Republicans had amended to strip out a sales tax exemption on jet fuel. Atlanta-based Delta would have been the prime beneficiary of the tax break, which would have been worth an estimated $38 million.

the governor is likely to sign it.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...nra-members-n2454588

BIG Thumbs Up!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Liberals actually think this is going to work if you read the comments on the stories about this. They are freaking delusional.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:With the comments noted above, now I can forget that trip as I won't be going near REI's website or their local store.

You can find all of the same products at Travel Country Outfitters in Altamonte Springs or, Bill Jackson's down in Pinellas Park. More importantly, you'll be supporting a local business and not a national chain.
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Liberals actually think this is going to work if you read the comments on the stories about this. They are freaking delusional.

And, they all use the same argument, look what stricter laws did to XYZ country. Yeah....we're not THOSE countries, we have a Bill of Rights which spells out our rights and we're 100x more populated.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with the age to buy a firearm being 21. I have no problem with the voting aged being raised back to 21.

The vote should have never been given to 18 year olds and don't tell me about how if they're old enough to fight for their country, they're old enough to vote. It's a weak argument. A mere fraction of a fraction of a percent of 18 year olds will ever see combat. Most 18 year olds are civilians, and they are not mature enough to have a voice in who gets elected.
This is especially true these days, with the sickening coddling and insulation of these children, who now live at home until they're 30.
You can see what the typical empty-headed 18 year old does with their vote.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no problem with the age to buy a firearm being 21. I have no problem with the voting aged being raised back to 21.

Nor do I.

For those who do make the military argument, not a problem, I propose those 18-20 year olds in the military are allowed to vote, those not in the military, wait until you're 21.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
As expected, MEC took the extremist position and REI dutifully followed suit . If you're unaware, MEC is a similarly set-up outdoor specialty chain retailer in Canada. Because of their alarmist and unsubstantiated positions regarding BPA-chemical testing, they pretty much cratered Sigg and Nalgene water bottles. REI listening to it's extremist left-wing board members and coop membership, followed as well, What's the Canadians doing? we can't let them be more virtuous than us!

Taking aim at Vista, which owns CamelBak (dominant market leader in hydration), Bell & Giro (market leaders in protective helmets)..they would be hard pressed to replace those sales.

Perhaps they need to take a hard look and boycott Patagonia since they supply the US military's SOF units.

or,

How much of their products they sell, are produced in countries where workers are oppressed, poorly treated and in violation of various environmental policies that which they hold so sacrosanct.

Arc'teryx is another one REI should boycott.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Apparently LL Bean is now raising their age limit to purchase a firearm to 21.

Huh, problem solved now? Everyone safe?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Does LL Bean even sell guns?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post