SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Now we learn that a total of 4 Coward County deputies stayed outside the school hiding behind their vehicles and didn't even enter after Coral Springs officers arrived and started clearing the building. Unbelievable. This sheriff needs to go NOW - that department is a joke.

http://www.washingtonexaminer....port/article/2649914

Four Broward County Sheriff's deputies failed to enter Florida high school during shooting: Report

A total of four Broward County Sheriff’s deputies failed to enter Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., during last week's mass shooting, according to a new report.

On Friday, it was reported that Broward County Sheriff’s Deputy Scot Peterson, who served as the armed school resource officer, did not enter the school as the shooting occurred.

But Peterson wasn’t the only one — three other Broward County Sheriff’s deputies also remained outside the school with their pistols drawn as they took cover behind their vehicles, CNN reports.

Additionally, the Coral Springs police officers who arrived at the school later were frustrated and surprised that the sheriff’s deputies did not accompany them as they entered the school, sources told CNN.

It’s uncertain if the shooter was present in the building once the Coral Springs police reached the school.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel on Thursday revealed video footage of Peterson that showed he did not enter the school upon arriving at the west side of the high school’s freshman building, despite the fact he was armed.

“Devastated. Sick to my stomach. There are no words,” Israel said Thursday to reporters, noting Peterson should have entered the building and killed the shooter.

Peterson was initially suspended, but ended up resigning instead.

In total, 17 people lost their lives in the shooting. Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old suspect, is in custody and faces 17 counts of premeditated murder.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Ummm wow. There was a time I had wanted to see her as a Presidential candidate. Disappointing.

Ditto, damnit.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
We are getting ahead of ourselves here though. First thing we need to do is figure out how to get armed teachers in the schools in the first place. Then we can debate what SOP is.

It's a simple matter (that's relative of course) of the state legislature making it happen. There are already more than one state that allow their teachers and anyone else who is a legal concealed carry permit holder to carry in school.

In VA, for now at least, LEOSA certified retired officers can carry anywhere a sworn officer can carry, including schools.

Until they recognize all ccw holders that right, I'm not impressed.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30406 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:

There is a difference between doing what they have to do if they are close and running down hallways going into situations they aren't trained for. Do what they have to do, use common sense, but it shouldn't be a license to hunt them down in another part of the school. If it is then train them to do so.

Given the choice of:

A) Unimpeded killer roaming the school murdering innocents at will

or

B) Having an 'untrained' civilian with at least a pistol hunting down the perp

I will choose B every time.

My God, I know this isn't an ideal scenario, but it's better than the current situation (which is turning our schools into undefended killing zones).

I say it is worth the risk to have an armed staff member hunting down the killer. We have seen that the 'do nothing' approach doesn't work.

What is the last sentence in what you and a few others have quoted? I get why people feel the way you do and a part of me agrees, but if that is going to be the case then I said a few times we should give them training that goes beyond a carry class. There is no reason schools or states can't send them to get some twice a year. I think it would be a good thing for them either way.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

“But I believe that the rights that we have in the Constitution are indivisible,” she added. “We can’t throw away the Second Amendment and keep the First.”

Ms. Rice, a political science professor at Stanford University, said she’s also uncomfortable with the idea of allowing teachers to carry guns in the classroom.

“I don’t really like the idea, frankly, of a gun in my classroom,” she said. “I think that we need to have law enforcement protect us. Look, if people need to train people to protect our schools, and perhaps even communities want to consider whether or not they need guards to protect the schools, it’s a sad thing to think that we might, then that’s something that we should look at.”

Look, I know this will not be popular, but she does say we have to keep the 2nd amendment intact, as without it you cannot have the 1st. that is a GREAT place to start a conversation about where you draw lines etc. I do not know a single liberal who will even acknowledge that the 2nd is needed at all. I applaud her for creating an actual talking point.
She goes on to say she doesnt like the idea of teachers with guns. Well I do not like it either. However, I am blessed to get to carry in my classroom every. single. day. I wished I did not feel that it was necessary, but I am thankful for the choice I am given. The training I received at CSAT, and the local officers I shoot with and drink coffee with often. CC on campus is not perfect, but it is a big step in the right direction.
she ends by advocating that communities should be free to protect their school as they see fit. Again, an excellent starting point, and a place to start a real conversation.
Our country needs people like her to help us communicate with one another. You can bet for dang sure I am re-upping my NRA membership, but even Dana advocates we need to start a real dialogue. Not just tear down and dismiss anyone automatically who disagrees with us.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So clueless Condi equates owning a tank with owning an AR? This is the argument we get from a highly intelligent, educated person? Liberalism corrupts the mental faculties of every person that even flirts with it. She'll get a lot of invitations to the best cocktail parties now that she's got her mind right.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3530 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Report This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
This is almost unbelievable but not quite. Sundance usually knows what he writes about and if you read it in it's entirety including the links contained in the article it comes into focus.

quote:
It is important to understand the policy here. Broward County law enforcement (Sheriff Israel), in conjunction with Broward County School Officials (Superintendent Runcie and School Board), have a standing policy to ignore any criminal engagement with High School students.

Link

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8529 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Some people have figured it out.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Looks like chickenshit may be contagious in Coward, I mean Broward County.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23...-deputies/index.html

"When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff's deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. The deputies had their pistols drawn and were behind their vehicles, the sources said, and not one of them had gone into the school.

With direction from the Broward deputies who were outside, Coral Springs police soon entered the building where the shooter was. New Broward County Sheriff's deputies arrived on the scene, and two of those deputies and an officer from Sunrise, Florida, joined the Coral Springs police as they went into the building.

Some Coral Springs police were stunned and upset that the four original Broward County Sheriff's deputies who were first on the scene did not appear to join them as they entered the school , Coral Springs sources tell CNN. It's unclear whether the shooter was still in the building when they arrived.

The resentment among Coral Springs officials toward Broward County officials about what they perceived to be a dereliction of duty may have reached a boiling point at a vigil the night of February 15, where, in front of dozens of others, Coral Springs City Manager Mike Goodrum confronted Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel. A source familiar with the conversation tells CNN that Goodrum was upset that the Broward deputies had remained outside the school while kids inside could have been bleeding out, among other reasons."

The same reports were floating around some cop forums a couple days before the media reported it. Apparently they are also on video (the other departments' in car and body cam videos, along with the exterior school video), like the one who quit. I have to wonder if the Coward, I mean Broward County Sheriff Deputies were ordered not to go in or if they had any training, policy/procedure for active shooter at all. I also wonder what type of long guns they have (if any) if they were hiding behind their cars with just pistols out.

Those same cop forums also reported that the SROs assign to the Parkland School District exist only to fix and way under report the crime stats for the school district.

Posts: 3934 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
ut Peterson wasn’t the only one — three other Broward County Sheriff’s deputies also remained outside the school with their pistols drawn as they took cover behind their vehicles, CNN reports.

these guys were by there vehicles and no one had an AR? Hmmmm??

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My first thought when I read about the deputies sheltering outside with their pistols drawn was that perhaps if theirs is the sort of department that doesn’t issue (or perhaps even permit) patrol rifles, perhaps they don’t bother with active shooter training either. The basic training for such things isn’t very high level stuff, but without it, there’s no telling what people might decide to do, or not do.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
On Condi Rice:

quote:
There was a time I had wanted to see her as a Presidential candidate.

I had a RICE 08 license plate. Went to Menlo Church where she had gone, and conservatives there who knew here loved her. She even argued how important 2A had been for blacks during Jim Crow.
So yes, very very disappointing. Ignorant no less.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

http://reason.com/blog/2018/02...ice-officers-made-no

- John Adams

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"I think it is time to have a conversation..."

No, it's time to have a bowel movement.

I think this is my all time hated phases in my entire life.

I don't know why, but it really gets my knickers in a twist when I hear it.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
#1 trending on the twitter:

#ResignSheriffIsrael

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Looks like chickenshit may be contagious in Coward, I mean Broward County.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23...-deputies/index.html

"When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff's deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. The deputies had their pistols drawn and were behind their vehicles, the sources said, and not one of them had gone into the school.

With direction from the Broward deputies who were outside, Coral Springs police soon entered the building where the shooter was. New Broward County Sheriff's deputies arrived on the scene, and two of those deputies and an officer from Sunrise, Florida, joined the Coral Springs police as they went into the building.

Some Coral Springs police were stunned and upset that the four original Broward County Sheriff's deputies who were first on the scene did not appear to join them as they entered the school , Coral Springs sources tell CNN. It's unclear whether the shooter was still in the building when they arrived.

The resentment among Coral Springs officials toward Broward County officials about what they perceived to be a dereliction of duty may have reached a boiling point at a vigil the night of February 15, where, in front of dozens of others, Coral Springs City Manager Mike Goodrum confronted Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel. A source familiar with the conversation tells CNN that Goodrum was upset that the Broward deputies had remained outside the school while kids inside could have been bleeding out, among other reasons."

The same reports were floating around some cop forums a couple days before the media reported it. Apparently they are also on video (the other departments' in car and body cam videos, along with the exterior school video), like the one who quit. I have to wonder if the Coward, I mean Broward County Sheriff Deputies were ordered not to go in or if they had any training, policy/procedure for active shooter at all. I also wonder what type of long guns they have (if any) if they were hiding behind their cars with just pistols out.

Those same cop forums also reported that the SROs assign to the Parkland School District exist only to fix and way under report the crime stats for the school district.

Fish rots from the head first......

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Report This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
"I think it is time to have a conversation..."

Whenever I hear that I really want to say: I have guns and you are afraid of them so in the end I get to do whatever I want.

Now fuck off

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Four!
Four!
Armed Broward Country Sheriff Officers hid outside the school while kids where being murdered!!

Knowing this Broward County Sheriff Israel pulls up to the microphone states how we have a gun problem!!

The gun problem is within your department sir.
Your officers fail to use them to protect school kids.

One other thing.
That talking point "weapons of war" is getting very tiring.

The 2nd Amendment was not written with the intent to protect us from the Government infringing on our right to own a rifle for hunting and outdoor recreation.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Ummm wow. There was a time I had wanted to see her as a Presidential candidate. Disappointing.

Ditto, damnit.
She needs to re-read Miller. A little-mentioned element of that decision was that the law was constitutional because a short-barreled shotgun was not a weapon recognized as suitable for Militia use. Two things about that: (1) Short-barreled shotguns had already been used in our wars and skirmishes; (2) that statement effectively affirms that any weapon carried by a single troop (and thus suitable for the Militia) is protected by the 2A. "Need" has nothing to do with it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post