SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
This argument blows my mind.

^^^

There was a time when "children" were able and did protect their villages from predators of all types and kinds, weather it slithered, flew walk on four or two legs.

And we somehow gave all that up, for what?

The illusion of safety?

I trust a "good guy/gal" with a gun than the alternatives.

And I speak as a father/grandfather.

Seriously would be able to bury a child who had a chance, than to be angry because there was opportunity to at least offer a chance and not have employed that possibility.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am curious where these 17 were killed. Classrooms? Halls? If in class rooms why was the door not locked? Get the kids out of the halls? Couldn't the kids hunker down behind a closed and locked door. What was the school staff doing the 7 or 8 minutes?

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
I am curious where these 17 were killed. Classrooms? Halls? If in class rooms why was the door not locked? Get the kids out of the halls? Couldn't the kids hunker down behind a closed and locked door. What was the school staff doing the 7 or 8 minutes?
Reports were of a fire alarm being pulled which got kids in the hallway (at least initially). Survivors reported seeing bodies in the hallway as well. One of the JROTC kids who was killed was holding a door open and getting others into the room, as witnessed by a surviving teacher on the other side of the hallway.

My guess would be a mix of both, but mostly in the hallways as he went on multiple floors in 6 minutes, which means he didn't seem to stay in one place long. But that's just a guess.

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

So lets just allow ONLY the government to decide how much security our schools need? Shit, why not? They've done such a great job so far.
So you shouldn't be trusted to handle a firearm in an emergency either?

Every one of us who possesses a CHP has signed up for this type of responsibility.

I wouldn't trust anyone to hunt a shooter down in a school with kids running everywhere who didn't have extensive training on a regular basis. Police and military practice and train to keep their skills up and they have to qualify. Teachers who carry shouldn't be any different. I'm not against them being armed. I'm against them trying to do a job if they aren't qualified for it when there are kids involved.

Someone is there hunting the kids and you are afraid of a good guy hunting the shooter?

This argument blows my mind. There is a person in the hallway actively trying to kill kids and you don't want someone else in the hallway that might accidentally hit a kid?

This reasoning is why our schools are unsafe and why teachers aren't armed all over. People are so afraid of one kid accidentally being shot that they would rather 17 kids get shot on purpose. This is the type of thinking that encourages kids to hide instead of teaching them to fight back. Better the whole class get shot in the back huddled in a corner than one get shot in the chest rushing forward.

Hide and wait for the police to come take up position outside.

I'm absolutely in favor of them being armed and defending their own rooms or even the ones next to them, but it shouldn't be common place to leave rooms. That is how I see it, so we may disagree on not wanting someone to play LEO clearing hallways and rooms IF they don't have the training. You make it some simple thing, but situations aren't always clear cut, which is why LEO and the military train so much.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
not wanting someone to play LEO

Do we want them "playing firefighter" and using a fire extinguisher or hose to put out a fire?

Do we want them "playing doctor" and giving somebody CPR or using an ADD?

Do we want them "playing psychologist" when a student needs somebody to listen to them or give them advice?

You want to know who's "playing"? Those who are "trained" but can't seem to get the job done. Those who are "trained" who want to tell all of us "untrained" people how we couldn't possibly be capable of doing what "trained" people do.

When the need arises, training comes way down on the list. It's usually better to have somebody trying their best than somebody doing nothing at all. If a trained person is there, great. If not, untrained people will step up.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
It;s getting so old hearing the media and gun control activists (BIRM) refer to an AR-15 as a "weapon of war". I challenge any of them to point out a single instance where an AR-15 was carried into battle by our military.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plans are worthless, but planning is everything. There is a very great distinction because when you are planning for an emergency you must start with this one thing: the very definition of "emergency" is that it is unexpected, therefore it is not going to happen the way you are planning.

So, the first thing you do is to take all the plans off the top shelf and throw them out the window and start once more. But if you haven't been planning you can't start to work, intelligently at least.

Dwight Eisenhower, 1957

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Do we want them "playing firefighter" and using a fire extinguisher or hose to put out a fire?

Do we want them "playing psychologist" when a student needs somebody to listen to them or give them advice?

You want to know who's "playing"? Those who are "trained" but can't seem to get the job done. Those who are "trained" who want to tell all of us "untrained" people how we couldn't possibly be capable of doing what "trained" people do.

When the need arises, training comes way down on the list. It's usually better to have somebody trying their best than somebody doing nothing at all. If a trained person is there, great. If not, untrained people will step up.

There is a difference between doing what they have to do if they are close and running down hallways going into situations they aren't trained for. Do what they have to do, use common sense, but it shouldn't be a license to hunt them down in another part of the school. If it is then train them to do so.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nojoy:
Interesting:

http://reason.com/blog/2018/02...ff-scott-israel-accu

Time for someone to be shown the door.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

There is a difference between doing what they have to do if they are close and running down hallways going into situations they aren't trained for. Do what they have to do, use common sense, but it shouldn't be a license to hunt them down in another part of the school. If it is then train them to do so.

Stick to topics you know something about.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
You make it some simple thing, but situations aren't always clear cut...

No, I am doing anything but making it a simple thing. My next post I said the following.

quote:
I am advocating letting teachers carry guns and giving them the training needed to take whatever action they feel necessary at the time. If that is holding down their classroom, so be it. But since not every teacher will be armed I am not against teachers who are armed and have undergone some training to leave their room and engage, especially if the shooter is in a nearby room shooting kids whose teacher is unarmed. I am not saying it should be protocol that they leave their room, but I also don't think that there be rules preventing it.

I think it's a very dynamic situation and saying that I'd prefer they be allowed to use their best judgment on how to deal with it. It isn't playing DieHard. It is understanding that sometimes the situation might warrant them not hiding behind a locked door.

Also I'd be careful making the assumption that LEO and military "train so much". I guess that depends on your definition of "so much" but I'd bet that I shoot more rounds per year than a typical police officer. That is not to imply that I am better trained or prepared than any police oficer. Just saying that I wouldn't put so much faith in police officers just because they have a badge. Remember that there was a police officer on site and his "training" lead him to stay outside and hide.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I would have enough survival skills to look for cover and concealment but I am not a high school kid. When I was a kid during WWII we all learned that somehow. Maybe we are teaching the kids today the wrong ideas.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Report This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
We are getting ahead of ourselves here though. First thing we need to do is figure out how to get armed teachers in the schools in the first place. Then we can debate what SOP is.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
You make it some simple thing, but situations aren't always clear cut...

No, I am doing anything but making it a simple thing. My next post I said the following.

quote:
I am advocating letting teachers carry guns and giving them the training needed to take whatever action they feel necessary at the time. If that is holding down their classroom, so be it. But since not every teacher will be armed I am not against teachers who are armed and have undergone some training to leave their room and engage, especially if the shooter is in a nearby room shooting kids whose teacher is unarmed. I am not saying it should be protocol that they leave their room, but I also don't think that there be rules preventing it.

I think it's a very dynamic situation and saying that I'd prefer they be allowed to use their best judgment on how to deal with it. It isn't playing DieHard. It is understanding that sometimes the situation might warrant them not hiding behind a locked door.

Also I'd be careful making the assumption that LEO and military "train so much". I guess that depends on your definition of "so much" but I'd bet that I shoot more rounds per year than a typical police officer. That is not to imply that I am better trained or prepared than any police oficer. Just saying that I wouldn't put so much faith in police officers just because they have a badge. Remember that there was a police officer on site and his "training" lead him to stay outside and hide.

I'm not advocating they always hide behind a locked door. The training I mentioned goes beyond shooting accuracy. I don't know how that officer can live with himself.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
it shouldn't be a license to hunt them down in another part of the school.

I hereby grant license to any teacher, to do anything in their power, to protect my children when they are in school.

If they need to play Rambo, Smokey The Bear, House MD, Seal Team 6, or anything else to do it, then so be it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
it shouldn't be a license to hunt them down in another part of the school.

I hereby grant license to any teacher, to do anything in their power, to protect my children when they are in school.

If they need to play Rambo, Smokey The Bear, House MD, Seal Team 6, or anything else to do it, then so be it.

I'll sign that waiver.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Looks like chickenshit may be contagious in Coward, I mean Broward County.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23...-deputies/index.html

"When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff's deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. The deputies had their pistols drawn and were behind their vehicles, the sources said, and not one of them had gone into the school.

With direction from the Broward deputies who were outside, Coral Springs police soon entered the building where the shooter was. New Broward County Sheriff's deputies arrived on the scene, and two of those deputies and an officer from Sunrise, Florida, joined the Coral Springs police as they went into the building.

Some Coral Springs police were stunned and upset that the four original Broward County Sheriff's deputies who were first on the scene did not appear to join them as they entered the school , Coral Springs sources tell CNN. It's unclear whether the shooter was still in the building when they arrived.

The resentment among Coral Springs officials toward Broward County officials about what they perceived to be a dereliction of duty may have reached a boiling point at a vigil the night of February 15, where, in front of dozens of others, Coral Springs City Manager Mike Goodrum confronted Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel. A source familiar with the conversation tells CNN that Goodrum was upset that the Broward deputies had remained outside the school while kids inside could have been bleeding out, among other reasons."

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I believe Broward Co. is one of the departments Live PD features every Friday and Saturday night. Gotta wonder if the show has been told to bugger off for this week's episodes.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Looks like chickenshit may be contagious in Coward, I mean Broward County.

I guess "To protect and defend..." isn't part of their creed, huh? Mad

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post