SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pellet Smoker/Grill Owners step inside
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pellet Smoker/Grill Owners step inside Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted
I have been giving some very serious consideration to purchasing a pellet smoker. I would really like some input for those that have, and use one.

I know that Trager is very popular but I'm really looking at two, Rec Tec Linky and the Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro, Linky

Both have very similar features, stainless, larger hopper and great electronics.

Tell me what you like and dislike about yours. Sadly both are made in China but so far the quality on both looks pretty good.

BTW - I for those that say get a Big Green Egg, I already have one, but I just 'want' a pellet smoker.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I looked at a pellet system before buying My Masterbuilt which just takes random chips.

Having to be dependent on pellets and their higher cost dissuaded me. I do have a cold smoker attachment on mine that will feed chips for an entire session without my fussing, this works both for cold and hot smoking.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I don't know about those brands, but I love my Green Mountain Grill! Best money I've ever spent!

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing Ribs does a whole review on a long list of them. Linky attached.

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buy.../pellet_smokers.html

I've got a Traeger and like it ok. Wish I could get more smoke flavor into the meat.

Posts: 680 | Location: East of the Rockies | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a Cookshack SM025, and their FECs are a significant upgrade from this. Think it would be an excellent choice.

I have had the SM025 for about 5 years without any issue and have made some great product with it.

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
I have a BGE but both my neighbors have Green Mountain pellet smokers and love them.

Posts: 428 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have the middle size Green Mountain.

I love it. It makes ribs as good as any I've ever had, anywhere. The convenience factor is huge.

It is fantastic for anything that doesn't need a very high heat direct sear, but you have a BGE, so that is covered.

(I brought my GMG to my new house when I moved. The house came with a built-in Viking natural gas grill that is like cooking over a volcano, so I use it for steaks and stuff and the GMG for everything else.)

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Lots of options. I have traeger and cookshack. Both are great options? BGE is good if you like non electric. A cheaper electronic option is cheaper than cookshack.

https://www.smokin-it.com

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my buddies went from the Big Green Egg to a Rec Tea and absolutely loves it. He is one of those fellows that analyzes everything to the last nut and bolt. If I were going Toby a pellet grill, I would follow his lead.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2876 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pit Boss was the best deal I found on a quality pellet grill. The small one is pretty flimsy, but the larger one is built very well.

Pit Boss 820 Deluxe, bought it from Cabela's when it was on a super sale (Memorial day sale?).

https://www.pelletgrillpros.co...zf1NICFQZYDQodNjoCww

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my Traeger, but wished I got the Rec Tec instead, it's just built with better materials mainly stainless for the burn box and such. My only advice is the same everyone gives when you ask about buying a safe, "buy bigger then you think you need".

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Rec Tec has a large following and Smoke Daddy looks real nice, I think he just upgraded them recently. I bought a Yoder YS640 two years ago because they had the beefiest build quality. It's been great and the one time I needed customer service they were awesome. I too have a BGE and I regularly use both.

Posts: 3438 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
I have a Traeger for about 8 years. I've had to buy 2 "hot rods" but otherwise flawless and we love it. That said, if it broke and was not justifiable to repair today, I'd buy a green mountain. I think they're currently the best bang for buck.

Posts: 597 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I will add that my fantasy is to buy one of the Memphis Wood Fired Grills. The high end one is made in the USA, is beautiful, and goes up to 700 degrees.

It's also right at 10 times what I paid for my Green Mountain. Maybe some day.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by unarmed:
Love my Traeger, but wished I got the Rec Tec instead, it's just built with better materials mainly stainless for the burn box and such. My only advice is the same everyone gives when you ask about buying a safe, "buy bigger then you think you need".

No matter what you decide this is good advice. Buy bigger than you think you need.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a little bit of everything and my pellet grill is a Green Mountain. It is truly a set it and forget it ordeal. It is just as handy as a gas grill but with way better taste.

The only negative I can say about the pellet grills is that you don't get near as much smoke taste if that's what you like. My wife is not a big fan of real smokey tasting bbq so I have almost retired my BGE in favor of the pellet grill.

For those that really like the smokey flavor they make these metal tubes that you can fill with your favorite flavor of pellet and like it with a torch and put it in the grill. Then you get much more of a smokey flavor.

I can't really say enough good things about pellet smokers other than they are a bit light on the smokey flavor without adding the tube.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Traeger Texas model, It did require some time to learn the how to use it. If I had it to do over, I would have spent more on a better unit. As mentioned Yoder and Green Mountain are higher quality units. You can check out this place for a lot of info. www.pelletheads.com.

Where's the beer!

Posts: 475 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Rec Tec. It does a great job and I am happy with the quality. Their support is good also.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I have a green mountain grill daniel boone wifi model. Its been fantastic, and with the new stainless 2 piece drip trays and heat shield it can do a direct sear for grilling. Honestly, I use it for just about everything now, its made a propane grill almost obsolete. That to me is the biggest selling point to the GMG units, because they can do alot more than just smoke.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a MAK 2 and it can smoke some serious meat. They run about 2600.00. Just did some rubbed pork chops over the weekend. Eat some, freeze some. Well worth the price.
Lineman

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post