SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Working on my Tax Return
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working on my Tax Return Login/Join 
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
A staggering 66% of millennials have no clue their tax returns are due in just FOUR DAYS - and most are terrified that they will make mistakes when they do file.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/fem...turns-FOUR-DAYS.html

Is that a trigger? Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wrote out a hefty check to the IRS and just under $500 to state of Arizona to help pay for that beautiful "Zonie" weather we get.

Checks are sitting on the desk to be mailed out at the Post office on the 17th.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OneWheelDrive:
I just got my Schedule K-1, so I get to finish this weekend. I hate K-1s.

Sometimes, me too!

Particularly hate them when brokers think they are common stocks to be traded like playing cards, The dumb ass brokers don't realize or give a shit (because the of commission) that their systems don't have any way of calculating cost basis in the deal - so it's left to the tax accountant to fix the brokers 1099-B. And the client does not understand that every one of these POS's take 30-60 minutes to sort out the correct tax basis for sale and the character of the gain.

Rule: You want to trade LP's. do it in an IRA where the gain/loss is no matter for current year tax. In your taxable accounts you like being in an LP. Buy big and hold LP's long - don't want to be a long term investor, stay away.

Have a nice day!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
This is my project for the weekend. Big checks to write to the feds and Arizona.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Finished mine today, just need to print everything, write the checks and mail on Tuesday.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
finished mine off

get a small refund from the feds, and the State of Arizona takes it

last year when I did my AZ return there was a line item for sales tax deductions

this year, no such line item on the return (I saved all of my receipts, sorted by month and created a spreadsheet - about $2000 in sales tax)

all that work for nothing

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
Had my taxes done in Feb and just waiting to send out the checks. Will be mailed out on the 16th.

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got all my tax papers ready last night, hopefully finish up today and mail it out 16-17th

Posts: 1177 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Articles today:

Filing Taxes Could Be Free and Simple. But H&R Block and Intuit Are Still Lobbying Against It
The makers of TurboTax and other online systems spent millions lobbying last year, much of it directed toward a bill that would permanently bar the government from offering taxpayers prefilled filings - Source

Turbotax Design - There's a free Turbotax version that could work for many people - Source

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I’m surprised that people don’t use an accountant. Especially when dealing with K-1s.

That's me. I gave up and started using a CPA once I had to file in four states. We're in 8 states now. Frown

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished mine. Due to doing some consulting work on the side my wallet is a lot lighter now.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Now might be just the time to encourage folks to learn about and support The Fair Tax.

I’ve not seen much about it recently but it remains to me a very good idea. Why it hasn’t garnered more support is baffling to me.

It is very different than what we are used to thinking about. It is hard to imagine, especially for those who aren’t into imagining.

It is a Very Good Idea[tm] though.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Did mine last night and mailed them off today. When you have to pay you aren't in much of a hurry to get them done early.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I’m surprised that people don’t use an accountant. Especially when dealing with K-1s.

That's me. I gave up and started using a CPA once I had to file in four states. We're in 8 states now. Frown

Not multiple states, but we started using a CPA when my wife started her business.
I may have an accounting degree, but have no interest in dealing with taxes. Will gladly pay the CPA.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The joy of having a son who is a CPA, and who specializes in tax . . .

It takes him about an hour to do what used to take my wife about 15 hours. She is not efficient, and frets overmuch about everything, but even still, he is super-quick.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think Arizona rigs then game to take about 75% of whatever your federal refund might be

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Everything is ready to drop in the mail tomorrow...no sense paying a day early Roll Eyes

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OneWheelDrive:
I just got my Schedule K-1, so I get to finish this weekend. I hate K-1s.

My K-1, for a private REIT, came just a few days ago too. It’s been a good performer for me, but I’m getting tired of the tax time hassle it causes.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed at how many people are printing and mailing returns.......

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
turbo tax efile and EFT to pay. Owed a little to state and had a small fed refund. Paid 1sr qtr est tax to fed and state.

I use electronic fund transfers to pay everything. No checks, no stamps and easy record keeping plus it is free.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post