SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need to replace my Carry On Bag
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need to replace my Carry On Bag Login/Join 
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
I’d go with B&R.

All my luggage is made by them, never had an issue.

Check eBay, buy a slightly older model and it will be really cheap.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve traveled extensively with one of these for 2-4 day business trips. Much longer if your hotel has same day laundry and dry cleaning service.

https://www.skyroll.com/skyroll-garment-bag/

Posts: 289 | Location: North Central Florida | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Nobody has mentioned Filson? Don't they have a lifetime guarantee?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I've been happy w. my pacsafe backpack/bag

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Something I forgot to add to my initial post. What's everyone's thoughts on 'spinner' wheels versus regular rolling wheels? I've never had a spinner bag, and from what I've read, people's opinions vary quite a bit on which they prefer.

Spinners are very popular, probably 70-80% of roller board sales now are spinners. I still like the two-wheel for carry-on however, my larger checked bags are spinners. While I'm still young enough to lug a two wheel 25"roller down from the tram stop through the terminal to the check-in desk, it's simply one less stress-point in my travel. As I get older and I'm in the market for a new check-on bag, it'll be a spinner...probably within 10-years.

Secondarily, having sold luggage prior, the three weakest points for roller boards are the wheels, the trolly (known as the handle) and the main-zipper. All three require a level of sturdiness and robustness to continue functioning, the other half is the supporting materials to support those strong components. I've seen plenty of beefy zippers holding things together only to see the material around it thinning and fraying apart. Same with the wheel components, the wheel and bearings might be fantastic but if the housing and castor stems aren't than none of those great parts matter.

Buy quality; you're buying piece of mind, that'll last for a long time.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Buy quality; you're buying piece of mind, that'll last for a long time.
Thanks so much for your comments. I'll have to give some additional thought to whether a spinner carry on would better serve me than the old tried and true roller bag.

As to your comment about buying quality, a question. A $550 B&R bag is by all counts 'quality', but can one acquire a 'quality' carry on bag for $200-$300, and if so, which one(s) would you recommend?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If you have a TJ Maxx or Marshall’s nearby, pop in and look at their luggage; they have pretty good prices on both carry on and checked sized bags. I have both sizes I picked up there and am completely happy with them. They are both the newer extremely lightweight rigid/soft variety (no other way to describe it) and from the marks on the big one, can suffer abuse without falling apart.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15572 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Take a good look at the Travelpro lineup. My wife loves hers. I have been using a Delsey Helium Aero which I like a lot. Haven’t had long enough to give a recommendation as to long term durability but it has been great so far.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to your comment about buying quality, a question. A $550 B&R bag is by all counts 'quality', but can one acquire a 'quality' carry on bag for $200-$300, and if so, which one(s) would you recommend?

The B&R's are a had swallow at $500+...that's more than most car payments Eek If you travel a lot, than it's pretty easy to justify, you're literally living out of that bag; if you travel occasionally, then it becomes more about weighing value. A big part of B&R's price is it's no-questions-asked warranty; go to any retailer and they will sing the praises of B&R warranty. Not too many things worst than having your contents spill-out in front of everyone or, that trolly not retract during boarding.

The travel industry is in need of that mid-price sweet-spot of a solid $200-300 roller, it's a very crowded marketplace at that price-point however nobody has really stood out without too may design/material compromises.
The the closest to get near that hold-grail is this roller from TravelPro.

My favorite for best features is from Eagle Creek's Tarmac-series...unfortunately, they don't do a suiter/garment feature for you. Fun fact- B&R actually copied the Tarmac when they initially released their BRX collection...they've since moved-on to a lesser design.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Have you looked at any of Luggageworks?
I'm also in the market for a carry on.

https://luggageworks.com/brows...pandable-suiter.html
Interesting bag I knew nothing about prior to your post. Can you answer a couple additional questions about it given I can't find much info online about it?

1 - Can the suiter handle two suits?
2 - How many stops are there in the extendable handle, and how beefy is it? I'm tall and would prefer not to hunch over dragging it, nor would I want it to fail.

Honestly, I cannot answer your question as I have not made my purchase yet. I'm currently doing my research and so far I'm either deciding on the Luggageworks I mentioned above, or a TravelPro Platimum Elite.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
TravelPro deal today only. Perform your own due diligence.

https://home.woot.com/offers/t...side-spinner-luggage

I ordered some.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Have you looked at any of Luggageworks?
I'm also in the market for a carry on.

https://luggageworks.com/brows...pandable-suiter.html
Interesting bag I knew nothing about prior to your post. Can you answer a couple additional questions about it given I can't find much info online about it?

1 - Can the suiter handle two suits?
2 - How many stops are there in the extendable handle, and how beefy is it? I'm tall and would prefer not to hunch over dragging it, nor would I want it to fail.

Honestly, I cannot answer your question as I have not made my purchase yet. I'm currently doing my research and so far I'm either deciding on the Luggageworks I mentioned above, or a TravelPro Platimum Elite.
I called Luggageworks customer support yesterday and they noted the bag 'should' be able to accommodate 2 suits in the suiter sleeve. However, the extendable handle is apparently one size fits all.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://biaggi.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTXFG5ysZ00

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54630 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I ended up getting a Travelpro pilot carry on.

http://www.flightattendantshop...le-pilot-rollaboard/

I didn't need a suiter, but they do have newer ones with a suiter along with spinner wheels.

I wanted to get the spinner version of what I ordered, but that was out of stock, and I needed something by next month.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for letting us know,
will be interested in how it turns out working for you

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54630 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Be sure to check the dimensions. Most airlines now limit size to 9"x14"x22", which are smaller than what was permitted a few years ago. (My "carry-on" is 24" high and was OK previously but is now 2" too big and has to be checked.) Size (height) includes the wheels, if applicable. I checked a table of size limits today and only Southwest still allows carry-ons higher than 22".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I didn't need a suiter, but they do have newer ones with a suiter along with spinner wheels.

I wanted to get the spinner version of what I ordered, but that was out of stock, and I needed something by next month.

10.5lbs wow! that is heavy for a 22" Eek
Definitely using heavy materials.

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

10.5lbs wow! that is heavy for a 22" Eek
Definitely using heavy materials.

Yeah, I opted for the beefier pilot model that has more frame material reinforcements. I don't know why to be honest.