SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need to replace my Carry On Bag
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need to replace my Carry On Bag Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
I have an old Delsey carry on bag that's been a lot of miles and shows it. It's served its purpose well, but given its current condition, it needs to be retired. I thought about simply buying a Briggs & Riley Domestic carry on bag and calling it a day, but damn have they gotten expensive. So, what would you recommend in a business class carry on bag that would compare with the Briggs & Riley bag? Oh, and any recommendations must include a suiter as it will be carrying a suit or two each time I travel. I love options, so fire away. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at any of Luggageworks?
I'm also in the market for a carry on.

https://luggageworks.com/brows...pandable-suiter.html

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat B&R. I'd recommend Eagle Creek also however, I don't believe they have any styles that include a suiter.

If you travel a lot or, enough in a given year, the higher cost will work itself out. There's nothing worse than a piece of luggage that shits the bed at the worst possible time, I've yet to experience that with B&R, well worth the higher cost.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you intend to check firearms in that bag? Make sure whatever bag you pick meets the requirements to do so.

I like hardside cases like Haliburton and Pelican. While they are expensive, they are extremely durable.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I picked up a carbon fiber 3 piece kit with 2 suitcases and a carry on at a discount store.
Best decision I've made. Wheels are smooth, the carry on nests on top of either case, or the handles are all the same height so you can wheel 2 with one hand.
Light, durable (so far)... I'll have to check the brand though.
These are just shells, with one divider. I prefer it for storage space, as I can go a light week with just the carry on if needed.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

I've been using luggageworks for quite a while. The bag I'm using right now has been going for about fifteen years, seeing 200+ days of travel a year. I put a replacement set of wheels on it this summer with new bearings.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markand:
Do you intend to check firearms in that bag? Make sure whatever bag you pick meets the requirements to do so.

Given that he’s asking about a carry-on, I highly doubt it. Razz

I was just looking at the TravelPro Crew10 rolling garment bag. Smaller than its Samsonite counterpart (closer to B&R or Tumi), but not quite as expensive.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I got a travelpro last year. Really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have several TravelPro Crew 11 pieces and are very happy with them. I spent time shipping around for the best price on each piece. Most of my pieces came from Amazon, eBags, or Macys sales.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I have a Briggs & Riley that's going on 22 years. Yes, they've gotten pricey, but what hasn't?

Given that they offer a lifetime warranty against damage -- even self-inflicted, the price is often worth it.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Travelpro !!! Bought two one for me, one for my wife, trip to Alaska this summer, worked GREAT! Make sure your purchase meets the newest size restrictions!!!! Safe travels!

Posts: 32 | Location: Greendale, WI | Registered: September 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://static.slickdealscdn.c...2/4/8/2617300.attach

keeps cold things cold

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Travel every other week. TravelPro is my choice. Their Platinum still has a lifetime warranty, including airline damage. Comparing to the Briggs & Riley, I liked the layout of the TravelPro better. Watch on eBags, always running sales and discounts.

Sometimes will pack the suit coat, most times just wear it on the plane.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I used to love the old Costco ones but they were pretty heavy. Now I have the Travelpro Platinum Magna 2. It’s light, has a good warranty and is available in 2 wheel or 4 wheel spinner versions for those who prefer one or the other. Mine are holding up well.

Right now ebags has good prices.

https://www.ebags.com

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I went with B&R after both my roll aboard and checked Samsonite gave up the ghost on a 3 week multi-city business trip.

Bought the roll aboard 1/2 way through the trip (it’s been stellar the last 2.5 years). Saved a little money and bought the B&R checked bag from Amazon when I got home.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get deployed by Red Cross and TravelPro has been ideal for my usage.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

https://luggageworks.com/brows...pandable-suiter.html
Interesting bag I knew nothing about prior to your post. Can you answer a couple additional questions about it given I can't find much info online about it?

1 - Can the suiter handle two suits?
2 - How many stops are there in the extendable handle, and how beefy is it? I'm tall and would prefer not to hunch over dragging it, nor would I want it to fail.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I have a Briggs & Riley that's going on 22 years. Yes, they've gotten pricey, but what hasn't?

Given that they offer a lifetime warranty against damage -- even self-inflicted, the price is often worth it.
My only hesitation on spending $550+ for B&R is that I don't really travel as much as I used to. If I was still on the road three weeks out of the month, the additional price and warranty would make more sense. That said, I have zero interest in buying a less expensive bag that I'll need to replace in another year or so.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Something I forgot to add to my initial post. What's everyone's thoughts on 'spinner' wheels versus regular rolling wheels? I've never had a spinner bag, and from what I've read, people's opinions vary quite a bit on which they prefer.

posted Hide Post
I
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
I used to love the old Costco ones but they were pretty heavy. Now I have the Travelpro Platinum Magna 2. It’s light, has a good warranty and is available in 2 wheel or 4 wheel spinner versions for those who prefer one or the other. Mine are holding up well.

Right now ebags has good prices.

https://www.ebags.com
. I have the same Travelpro and find it very sound.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post