SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto insurance recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto insurance recommendations Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
My Dad is retired from autobody and was in the army. I asked him why he doesn't have USAA, and he responded that they have the dumbest yet most egotistical claims adjusters and they'll never see a dime of his.

We've had a lot of threads on here that the current version of USAA is not the same USAA of old.

State Farm was very fair to me during my 2 claims in nearly 30 years of driving. It's also who Dad uses.

We have been using State Farm for some 30+ years. Rare occasions to file claims but when we needed them, the resolutions were prompt and without any BS. That includes auto and homeowner's insurance.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Were I eligible for USAA I'd have had them forever, and forever more absent a huge change to their rep.

Currently in 29th year with State Farm. I expect a kiss on our 30th anniversary!

I shopped this extensively a couple years ago and found where I could save about 6-10%, which isn't insignificant on the range of cars, boat, home, personal articles, umbrella, etc. I have with them. However in the end the service when I have had claims swayed me to stay, coupled with my guaranteed renewal status on auto. A year later had a roof replacement claim in TX which went as smoothly as anybody could ask.

All of them have warts, but for me the lowest risk of seeing those seemed to be with the long-term relationship.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a health care practitioner that only deals with insurance in personal injury cases, USAA is the worst I have ever seen. I no longer take patients who have been in a motor vehicle accident and have USAA. They only pay half the bill and bury you in paperwork.

A patient of mine has been paying Farmers for years and has maintained a $25,000 med pay limit. A few months ago she was hit from behind and is suffering from acute concussion symptoms. Once the bills for her health care reached $7,000 Farmers quit paying. Farmers asked her to see a QM Examiner, who was obviously in their pocket, who determined that she has no more symptoms.

Personally I have used Amica for 10 years and have been extremely satisfied. Consumer Reports rated Amica as #1 for several years.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:

Personally I have used Amica for 10 years and have been extremely satisfied. Consumer Reports rated Amica as #1 for several years.

I'm looking at insurance right now and see that Amica has a 94% average Overall Satisfaction rating vs. 92% for USAA.

Sorry to hear c1steve has challenges getting paid by USAA. My point being that even the highest rated companies are not perfect.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
My Dad is retired from autobody and was in the army. I asked him why he doesn't have USAA, and he responded that they have the dumbest yet most egotistical claims adjusters and they'll never see a dime of his.

We've had a lot of threads on here that the current version of USAA is not the same USAA of old.

State Farm was very fair to me during my 2 claims in nearly 30 years of driving. It's also who Dad uses.

We have been using State Farm for some 30+ years. Rare occasions to file claims but when we needed them, the resolutions were prompt and without any BS. That includes auto and homeowner's insurance.

I too have had State Farm for more than 30 years. I've had a handful of claims (1 home, 1 instrument (my daughter's EXPENSIVE violin bow broke Eek ) and a few auto) during that time and I can say each claim was handled promptly and without issue.

I'm sure having a good agent helps too.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm good with USAA.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Amica has great service when you need to make a claim. Until our son started driving we had maybe one claim. He isn't the greatest driver, or maybe he's unlucky, but they don't give us any grief, and actually seem to care that everyone is ok and our vehicles get taken care of.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amina and USAA seem to have the best ratings consistently. We have had Amica for over thirty years and have been very pleased.

Posts: 987 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I had my roof replaced by USAA for hail damage and it was super easy. Got a contractor, they had someone come out to verify damage, I got a check and gave it to the contractor. It was awesome because I really needed a roof anyway.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
We've had AAA Home & Auto for 35 yrs. Tthey've stood by us and we by them through a hail damage new roof, a couple minor accidents and two totalled vehicles. Always had pleasant, professional service.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I too was a lifetime (20 yrs) State Farm client for home and auto until they decided that after Hurricane Ike they didn't like being in the home insurance biz in TX any longer as they lost too much money and starting pricing their policies 50% higher than previously so I dumped them. This is not conjecture, the guy working for my State Farm agent actually told me that back in 2010 when I called asking why my renewal went from ~$1050 to ~$1500. I was even living in TX when Ike hit and didn't have a claim.

Now all my policies are in with Geico and even with a teenage daughter driving I feel they are pretty reasonably priced based on direct comparison to previous companies (was with eSurance, then before that Liberty Mutual).

quote:
quote:

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My wife had USAA when we married so our account is about 50 years old. We've made house and car claims and never had issues.
The last claim was when a gal pulled out of her land and hit my driver's door. Her insurance turned out to be the policy the bank had on the car. She was uninsured. The ladies at USAA were efficient and apologized for requiring me to pay the deductible. They were happy I'd made a police report and suggested I follow up. To get action I did have to write the governor and as a result, got a nice letter from the DMV. Seems the gal had a couple of accidents and "No longer has a license to drive." I did pass that on to the nice ladies.
About a month later, my deductible was refunded.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
quote:
quote:

I too have had State Farm for more than 30 years. I've had a handful of claims (1 home, 1 instrument (my daughter's EXPENSIVE violin bow broke Eek ) and a few auto) during that time and I can say each claim was handled promptly and without issue.

I'm sure having a good agent helps too.

I'll pile on here. I've had State Farm for more years than I care to count. In that time I've had three claims, all three were handled quickly and without hassle. I did get a rate bump for one that was my fault, but what do you expect in that case? The latest claim was only a couple weeks ago when I loaned my truck to a friend and she totaled it - 8 days elapsed from the crash until I had a check in my hand.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Been getting some quotes so will hopefully change companies after this claim is closed out.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Another vote for State Farm here. I was in a huge wreck in '03 that totaled 2 cars and did a number on my truck. I was the only one hurt. I was totally without fault. I had one of the first black boxes in my truck and it's 30 second recording showed what I was doing before, during, and right after the wreck. Only odd thing was that State Farm put a ton of money, at least equal to the value of my truck, into fixing it, instead of totaling it out and just giving me a check. Two weeks after it left the shop for the last time after the wreck, it was traded in on a new truck. I was well taken care of during the whole process, rental car, a
$500 check for new glasses, another check for $500 because my truck was taking so long, and my deductible was returned after the kid that caused the wreck paid off the judgement SF got against him (no insurance, of course). I got into a wreck a couple of months ago, that one was my fault. They did a great job again!

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USAA, I have had them since Jan 1968. The one claim I had in the 1980's went great. While coming back from a day on the water, an uninsured driver hit my boat and drove it into the trunk of my car.
USAA covered boat, trailer & auto repairs with only one deductable.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4264 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
I had Motorist Mutual and now Encompass, never an issue with either and I had auto and home damages fixed by both. Encompass cut me a check worth 50% of the home damages on the spot and the remainder after the work was completed. Auto, never a single issue getting repairs made.

Go through an insurance broker and find the cheapest/best insurance. There is no need to be loyal to any insurance company. Rates change all the time and you really should shop about every 2 years for new insurance to keep your rate down.

BTW...we looked at USAA a few years back. They were at least 1/3 higher than Motorist for the exact same coverage.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
I've had Geico since forever. Haven't put a claim until recently since 1999. The recent claim went well. Everyone was very nice. I was able to add roadside service and rental coverage after the fact (they back dated it to the beginning of the current six month policy stint).

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
I had USAA insurance years ago and after the BS and hoops they had me jump through; on an accident claim. I was rear ended by an uninsured driver. They will never see another dime of my money.

Been with Allstate since the early 70s and have no problems with claims; and had a few when the three kids were in their teens

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
(I cannot afford their M.C. or ATV coverage).

I have State Farm on everything. SF gives my roadside assistance for the bike saving me about 75 a year from having to get one through HOG or the AMA.

MC policies vary greatly. One area to check is their medical coverage for the rider. Some policies do not cover much beyond basic ER care. Substantial medical claims can go unpaid unless you have another health policy.

While I haven't have much in the way of a large claim , they always handled the smaller ones quickly.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post