SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto insurance recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto insurance recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of SR025
posted
For those of you who have made claims, what company handles them the best/smoothest etc? Currently dealing with a hail damage claim and it has been a total pain in the ass. I have considered switching to USAA because I hear their service is outstanding however I don't know that it is worth $87 a month more. I currently have Texas farm bureau.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
For those of you who have made claims, what company handles them the best/smoothest etc? Currently dealing with a hail damage claim and it has been a total pain in the ass. I have considered switching to USAA because I hear their service is outstanding however I don't know that it is worth $87 a month more. I currently have Texas farm bureau.

Because USAA. Nuff, said.

All of my claims throughout the years have gone exceptionally well. That includes home and auto claims.

They are also great for Homeowners Insurance, Banking and Investing, and such.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
+1 more for USAA.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well what would you rather have? Your current situation or pay and extra $1000/yr?

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Well what would you rather have? Your current situation or pay and extra $1000/yr?

Great way to put it, if you asked me a few weeks ago I would have said the extra $ but now leaning toward customer service. I've always said you get what you pay for.. guess I should take my own advice.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My Dad is retired from autobody and was in the army. I asked him why he doesn't have USAA, and he responded that they have the dumbest yet most egotistical claims adjusters and they'll never see a dime of his.

We've had a lot of threads on here that the current version of USAA is not the same USAA of old.

State Farm was very fair to me during my 2 claims in nearly 30 years of driving. It's also who Dad uses.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Ameriprise through Costco saved me a ton of money, after having switched from Farmers, to Geico all in the same year. I haven't made any claims in a good long time, though my Geico claim on my motorcycle 13 years ago was smooth.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with USAA

Never personally had a problem
With adjusters. They always approved any add-one which were needed. Now, I've only had 2 claims in 30 yrs. 1- hurricane related, the other for a hit and run in middle of the night

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
The only smooth transactions with insurance companies are when you are paying your bill.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
My Dad is retired from autobody and was in the army. I asked him why he doesn't have USAA, and he responded that they have the dumbest yet most egotistical claims adjusters and they'll never see a dime of his.

We've had a lot of threads on here that the current version of USAA is not the same USAA of old.

State Farm was very fair to me during my 2 claims in nearly 30 years of driving. It's also who Dad uses.

I am going to echo tatortodd here. They sure aren't what I am used to. I have a claim going on right now and as soon as anyone hears the word "glass", I get transferred to Safelite Auto Solutions which handles their normal glass claims. What I have experienced in the past 2 weeks isn't what it was when my wife and I worked there and it damn sure isn't the same as when I first joined USAA while in the military. This isn't my first issue with USAA and I still recommend them, but I have to admit that I don't feel as valued as I once did.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
People compare premiums with auto insurance but never the coverages and service after the sale.

Auto policies are not fungible. Coverages can vary, particularly after the state required liability.

The Old Rancher often observed that the cheapest oats had already been run through the horse. You need to keep that in mind.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
I am going to echo tatortodd here. They sure aren't what I am used to. I have a claim going on right now and as soon as anyone hears the word "glass", I get transferred to Safelite Auto Solutions which handles their normal glass claims. What I have experienced in the past 2 weeks isn't what it was when my wife and I worked there and it damn sure isn't the same as when I first joined USAA while in the military. This isn't my first issue with USAA and I still recommend them, but I have to admit that I don't feel as valued as I once did.

Safelite handles the glass unit for almost every major carrier.

Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Your situation is peculiar to me. Farm Bureau is usually pretty good.

I had Safeco for 29 years but they priced themselves out of range. Deductibles have increased in Texas in the past 10 years or so due to lots of hail storms and hurricanes.
I have everything with State Farm now. Home and auto now are what I was paying with Safeco just for home coverage previously. Haven't had to file a claim for homeowners since I just switched but with three teenage drivers at one time, we had two totaled vehicles. Yeah, they thought they could drive like Mario Andretti. Actually they did...up until the point of impact.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a lot has to do with your agent.

I have State Farm and they have good prices for our home and auto.(I cannot afford their M.C. or ATV coverage).
Our agent bends over backwards for us. Of course we have a lot of vehicles, but I can just take my car where I want and get it fixed when I have an accident. Never any problem...unless I would call the national State Farm phone number, then the problem starts. My agent has always done right by us. She even helped me with fire arm coverage on our home ins. policy.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I was with GEICO for 10+ years with no claims and no accidents. Then my rates start go up. I called and complained, but just got the runaround.

I don't qualify for USAA, and got quotes from Costco (via Ameriprise), Farmer's, and surprisingly ended up with State Farm as the cheapest.

I do have to say that, while I haven't had a claim, I have been underwhelmed at my local agent's responsiveness to the couple of questions I've asked him.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6400 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:

Safelite handles the glass unit for almost every major carrier.

I get that. They don't handle the glass on camper shells though which is what needs replaced for me. That's kinda my point. Nobody listened to me, as all they heard was glass, when I explicitly said the left side glass on a Leer camper shell. After talking to 3 claims people, I finally asked to speak with a manager. Was told I'd get a callback in 24 hours....guess what didn't happen? Finally had enough and filed an online complaint. That seemed to get their attention. Got a call not 5 minutes after pressing submit. Still wasn't a manager though Mad this rep finally talked to his manager and I did get a call from her. A week after speaking to this manager, I still haven't had my issue resolved. I have 3 vehicles, a boat, a motorcycle, and 2 homes insured with USAA or it's affiliates. This on top of a home loan and the majority of our banking along with 2 life insurance policies. I figure a little bit of customer service is what they owe me and I am not getting it.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They likely need to convert the claim from a glass only claim to regular claim.

If they still give you a hard time, tell them you suspect possible additional damages and need an inspection.

Or go to the RV dealer and get an estimate for replacement and send it to them for review.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:

If they still give you a hard time, tell them you suspect possible additional damages and need an inspection.

Or go to the RV dealer and get an estimate for replacement and send it to them for review.

Sounds great....in theory. Took you 6 minutes to figure that out. I waited on hold for much longer than that and still got nothing. The critical thinking skills are lacking. It seems to have come to reading a set of scenarios and picking the one that most resembles it: not actually providing service. I am sure more insurance companies are just as bad, maybe even better. What really sucks for us in the meantime is that countless amounts of people (customers) have become less concerned with actual customer service and more focused on the foo foo that passes as a valuable added product.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:

Sounds great....in theory. Took you 6 minutes to figure that out. I waited on hold for much longer than that and still got nothing. The critical thinking skills are lacking. It seems to have come to reading a set of scenarios and picking the one that most resembles it: not actually providing service. I am sure more insurance companies are just as bad, maybe even better. What really sucks for us in the meantime is that countless amounts of people (customers) have become less concerned with actual customer service and more focused on the foo foo that passes as a valuable added product.

Sorry... I only do this for a living...

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

I got hit by a USAA person and the claim adjuster gave in to them even thought it was the lady's fault. She even left the scene without given me her insurance information.

Then the USAA rep called me on the phone and claimed I cut her off when the hold time she was reading a book while driving.

SAFECO seems to select the insurance company that has the best rates and service.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post