SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cost to remove a pool?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost to remove a pool? Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
Looking at a house that has a pool. We don't want a pool, and this one dominates the back yard. It's in good shape, average pool size. What should I budget to demo the pool and fill the hole? Random estimates on the internet are all over the place, but I know someone here has done this.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the cost, but one of our neighbours did it and the heavy equipment destroyed her septic field. Luckily, she was able by then to get on city water and sewer.

In the process of either that or the work to put her on city water and sewer, her natural gas line was damaged, so they had to replace that, as well. They weren't using directional boring, yet, so a trench from the house, 100' to the road.

It all made a right mess of her yard, it did.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I would guess that the cost will be dependent on local factors (competition, permits, cost of fill dirt and disposal fees) to a great degree.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I had it done, but it was a LONG time ago. I don't remember what I paid. It was a local guy and I lived in a small farm town at the time. He collapsed the sides with his loader and then brought in fill with his dump truck and packed it in. Wish I could remember more details. This was rural NH..... I suspect Dallas would be more.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38647 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My question is, why in the world would you buy a house with a pool in the first place that you didn't want? With the cost of labor today you know it's going to be anything but cheap?

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would you remove it. fill it and move on. Around here the fill to do so would be about $2K plus a bit to landscape around it, but you don't say the exact size.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Below is a link to a deck built in one that is pretty cool looking. Probabally just filled it with gravel first.

https://hgtvhome.sndimg.com/co...x/1452648129574.jpeg

I've seen a couple just filled, not actually dug out. Cost saving. And I've seen one where they just caved in the sidewalls and buried that in the bottom and deep end to save disposal cost and have to buy less fill dirt. Also a cost savings. Not saying it's the best option, just that I have seen it done.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
What about emptying it. Building a "roof over it", planting grass, whatever, and you would have the ultimate man cave below.

Also if the next buyer of your home wants a pool it wouldn't be too difficult to go backwards.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
My question is, why in the world would you buy a house with a pool in the first place that you didn't want? With the cost of labor today you know it's going to be anything but cheap?

Jim
Probably location, view, price, right house size or some combination of those. If I found my dream house but it just needed the pool removed, I’d buy it. Hell, I’ve looked at houses without a garage because the view, waterfront property and the school district.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I had a 20' x 40' with a sidewalk around it filled in in 2000. Found a local guy that worked for cash. Seems like it was about $1500. He broke up the sidewalk and broke down the sides and then filled in with a sandy mix. There was some settling and over the years I had a couple of single axle loads of soil added.

Made a great tomato patch. Smile

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paid just under $4k to fill one at a rental home here in Northeast Florida, around 7 years ago.

The company removed and hauled away the concrete deck, filled and packed with layers of clean fill dirt, and left us with graded / level dirt.

The skid steer they used to haul dirt to the back yard did leave some serious tracks (lots of trips in and out) - Not sure much can be done about that.

Hope that helps.

- Brian

--------------------
||| P226R (.40) ||| P6 ||| P320 X5 ||| SP2022 (.40) |||

Posts: 411 | Location: Northeast Florida | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Drain it and skateboard in it.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on access. If you have 10' of width to get a real machines in there to break it up with a wrecking ball and easily bring fill in, I would guess $5k or so, maybe $10k at the high end depending on your location.

I wouldn't want a pool either. It's a $500 a month expense you throw into the ground between adding water, electric, chemicals, and then long term repairs (remarcite, pumps etc.)

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim
Probably location, view, price, right house size or some combination of those. If I found my dream house but it just needed the pool removed, I’d buy it. Hell, I’ve looked at houses without a garage because the view, waterfront property and the school district.

We're actually selling what was our dreamhouse for a lifestyle change. The one we're looking at seems to be a good deal, but there's some stuff we'd change, including the pool. We have friends with pools, and need the yard for dogs.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I don't think it's legal here to just break off the top and fill it, otherwise I might just do that.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think it's legal here to just break off the top and fill it, otherwise I might just do that.

You have to break up the bottom as well, otherwise the water will not drain and you'll have a big mushy pit in your yard.

If it's a fiberglass pool I would haul it out. If it is concrete I would just break it up and fill it in.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Cost my FnLaw 5k$ in York Nebraska to remove most of the cement and fill in dirt..

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Check with the city first. My city wants you to remove it all, plumbing, etc. Fence removal would be required. My bids were 10-15k for full removal and to fill with dirt. They are about 70k to install from scratch in the DFW area so my realtor advised me against removal for resale value. As installation cost continues to rise homes with them with appreciate more. Removal is a major pita and you must disclose to a buyer if you have filled it. I’d keep it or buy a different house. They are a ton of potential issues with removal.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to build pools in high school and college. An average size deck will have 5-10 yards of concrete. The pool itself, assuming it's gunite/shotcrete, will have 20+ yards of concrete. This is for an average California backyard. I've seen pools in the midwest and east coast that have very small decks, just a small ribbon of concrete or brick along the edges. Not to mention a ton (literally) of rebar.

If they knock down the vertical pieces and lay them down on the floor of the pool, that'd be ideal. However, I doubt it would be destroyed so nice and neat. If you buy back fill dirt, you're talking 50-100 cubic yards. This of course depends greatly upon the size and depth of the pool.

Unless the lot, house, and price are one of a kind, I'd look for another home.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a county purchasing director, I had to demo abandoned houses if they were too far gone to repair and sell. Several had old pools.

Most cost effective method was to punch holes in the bottom and fill it with dirt. Without holes, low water table would push it out of ground according to “experts”.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post