SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2001 LX470 vs 2008 Civic ?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
2001 LX470 vs 2008 Civic ? Login/Join 
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Jimmy, I think you need to learn some more about those lexuses of that vintage. They're really just toyotas with lipstick on.

Majority of the parts outside of the ARH system cross reference with either the tundra or land cruiser of the day and are quite reasonable. They're also very user serviceable. Lexus didn't go to the technological extent they do now, back then. They took the bulletproof land cruiser and softened it just enough for the affluent soccer moms they were targeting.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
Jimmy, I think you need to learn some more about those lexuses of that vintage. They're really just toyotas with lipstick on.

Majority of the parts outside of the ARH system cross reference with either the tundra or land cruiser of the day and are quite reasonable. They're also very user serviceable. Lexus didn't go to the technological extent they do now, back then. They took the bulletproof land cruiser and softened it just enough for the affluent soccer moms they were targeting.

Either way, I wouldn't be buying a 17 year old gas guzzling SUV with 134k miles. Higher gas costs, insurance costs, maintenance costs, etc. than the civic.

Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Fuel costs, yes. That is true.

But maintenance likely isn't THAT much more than the civic. I know you don't agree, but it's the truth.

Insurance is likely a wash. Slightly higher replacement cost to the Lexus, but the civic is one of the most commonly broken into and stolen vehicles on the road.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It probably sounds snobby but I'm not worried about the gas mileage. Her Civic has super low miles because her commute is next to nothing.

I think the Lexus would be safer if God forbid she got in an accident. A big ass SUV with a truck frame, it's gotta be safer than her Civic.

I'm calling on it tomorrow. If it has service records I would absolutely trust it as much as and actually a bit more than her Civic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
You won't regret the Lexus and if it's good it will sell quick when the right buyer finds it.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
Fuel costs, yes. That is true.

But maintenance likely isn't THAT much more than the civic. I know you don't agree, but it's the truth.

Insurance is likely a wash. Slightly higher replacement cost to the Lexus, but the civic is one of the most commonly broken into and stolen vehicles on the road.

The tires alone are 2-3x the civic's tires to replace. But if the OP is dead set on the vehicle then he should go buy it.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
It probably sounds snobby but I'm not worried about the gas mileage. Her Civic has super low miles because her commute is next to nothing.

I think the Lexus would be safer if God forbid she got in an accident. A big ass SUV with a truck frame, it's gotta be safer than her Civic.

I'm calling on it tomorrow. If it has service records I would absolutely trust it as much as and actually a bit more than her Civic.

My parents had a 2001 LX470, exactly like the one pictured.

My parents were driving with my grandmother in the car. They were stopped at a light.

Some kid (illegal, uninsured), drove a Dodge Ram 1500 pickup right into the back of it, at full surface street speed, perhaps a touch less as the kid panic braked as he looked up from his phone.

The Lexus is one hell of a tough vehicle. Everyone walked away. The impact pushed the Lexus across the intersection. Wish I had some pictures.

Loved that car. Took it to Prom. Camped in it a bunch, towed our friend-group's camping trailer. My parents replaced it with a 2005, but I like the simplicity (no navigation, no backup sensors) of the 2001 better.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
The Automatic Height Control can be problematic, and expensive to fix

However, if I found one that had a bad AHC, I would use that as a haggling point and then replace it with an Old Man Emu suspension.

I missed this post earlier.
Old Man Emu recently redesigned their shocks for the 100 series and have pretty much garnered nothing but complaints about ride quality.

Folks are still using the Old Man Emu springs and torsion bars for the swap.
Depending upon budget folks are using Iron Man Profoam shocks (lower budget), Fox or Icon both stage 1 (medium budget), Fox or Icon stage 2 or 3, and Slee (big dollar budget).

I am going to be kicking myself for not getting a 100 series !!!!!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
This is why I shot down buying one from the west coast in the other thread.
http://www.driveautocenter.com...63/JTJHT00W623516473

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Posted by MikeGLI,

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Unless it was a "fun" car or bike, I'd have a hard time talking myself into buying something with a For Sale sign sitting in someone's yard.

How long has it been sitting there?

For that vehicle, with that mileage, at that price point, probably not long.

Wasn't Black just looking for this same vehicle at a higher price point?

Looks like Mike was right. It sold today and was out there for less than a week. Frown

The silver lining is that my wife now wants a LX470!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
We recently bought a GX and couldn't be happier, I don't think you can go wrong with an LX.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Report This Post