SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Secure schools - a better option
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Secure schools - a better option Login/Join 
Picture of djinco
posted
I watched a video clip from NBC News. Reported that a school in Indiana has hardened doors, camera monitoring, a central alarm with panic fobs. The SD that monitors the school can actively track a person, and then deploy smoke to disorient a suspect.

I can hear the teachers now... it's too expensive...OK, use the tax from Pot sales and lotto proceeds.

I guess they would rather wring their hands and boo-whoo on TV ranting and raving about "gun control". How about making a secure facility, and then teach the students and teachers how to live with the secure facility.

I work in a secure building, I have for over 40 years. Security works, you just have to live with it.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 648 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djinco:
I can hear the teachers now... it's too expensive...

Yeah, and just wait until the next time they want to negotiate a contract. I bet they demand the money be found somewhere.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Improved physical security with some cameras, all entrances locked, and an intercom...plus a few armed, trained staff (hired security, school resource officer and/or volunteer armed staff) would go a loooong way towards real security.

[OR] we can have Congress put some new words on some paper... Roll Eyes

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have to go to high schools many times to interview kids as a part of my investigations all over the State of Texas and so far all I go to have it setup to where you can only get in a single door to speak to someone before actually gaining entry into the school after they verify your credentials.

I am sure there are schools with not many controls. I fully believe in hardening schools and letting teachers be armed after extensive training. Schools are a target because they are such a gun free zone.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read an article today from the The New York Post and the author states that having cops at schools will only harm minorities as the cops will single them out and provide a classroom to jail mentality. This is what we are dealing with.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Ask any school child if he would prefer to have an armed Deputy at the school keeping him safe or not have anyone keeping him safe?

I know what the child's answer is. Because I have asked this question. Mothers sometimes don't see the benefit. Too many of them want schools to be a place of rainbows and unicorns.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I almost feel dirty bringing up the "T" word, but is it time to push terrorism as a reason to harden our school security? I mean if a single deranged student can get in and kill dozens, what about a small group of motivated ISIS inspired goons? Just look at the carnage Boko Haram is responsible for at schools and malls in Africa. We need to move off the point of preventing school shootings by students as that just invariably leads to gun control arguments vs schools as soft targets in general.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
Ask any school child if he would prefer to have an armed Deputy at the school keeping him safe or not have anyone keeping him safe?

I know what the child's answer is. Because I have asked this question. Mothers sometimes don't see the benefit. Too many of them want schools to be a place of rainbows and unicorns.

We need more than just one armed Deputy.
In the Florida school shooting, it is being reported that the armed Deputy waited outside for additional officers to arrive.

We need Conservatives in teaching positions for many reasons.
One being Conservative teachers would be more willing to carry concealed and protect our kids.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Having negotiated 3 teachers contracts while serving on a school board, I know what the teachers priorities are.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
We need more than just one armed Deputy.
In the Florida school shooting, it is being reported that the armed Deputy waited outside for additional officers to arrive.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah....here's the story.

Wow. Not good.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...ng-sheriff-says.html

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be a huge improvement if our administration shared threat data with us. All we have now is RUMINT, and most of that comes from the kids.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Physical security is just a small part of securing schools. You can get past security, and that's proven daily at airports, prisons, and other secure buildings.

What you can't figure out ahead of time is who has a gun. I don't really care if you're trained or not. When a bad guy is spraying bullets down a hallway, I'll take anybody with a gun shooting back. Statistics show that time and time again these types tend to retreat when they encounter force.

Simply eliminate gun free zones. Let whomever can be legally armed be so. Teachers, other staff, parents, contractors. The same types who currently leave their firearms in their cars aren't going to start shooting students just because they're allowed to carry inside the building.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I read an article today from the The New York Post and the author states that having cops at schools will only harm minorities as the cops will single them out and provide a classroom to jail mentality. This is what we are dealing with.
If the minority kids actually feel that way, they are probably doing things they know are wrong (or their parents do and pass the thoughts on to their kids).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Our school tires locking the doors. It lasted three days. First problem was you couldn't get to the gym, or the music rooms, or the day care classrooms without going outside. Second problem, I kid you not, was the student aides that ran notes between classrooms. They lost their shortcuts and had to go to the front door. Oh dear. Last: students would see someone outside and politely open the door for them! As I said, it lasted 3 days.
Let's take the disproven "18 shootings in 2018." In 2014 there were around 140,000 schools in the United States. They are open 180 or more days a year. That means there was a 0.00000719% chance of a shooting happening at any school, on any one day.
I have no doubt schools will blow off security until something happens to them. Parkland is a good example. Why is the administration supporting the students making all the trips to D.C. And Tallahassee? Because they don't have to explain how the shooter just walked onto campus then just walked into the school. Worse, the school got no court order or police help n dealing with him. Does anyone believe the school will have security with one entrance? Metal detectors? Armed guards? The emphasis still seems to be "by improving overall education, getting kids more involved in their studies and strengthening school communities, said William Modzeleski, a high-ranking official in the U.S. Department of Education who handles school security." In short more counselors and getting kids to report things. the belief is often that a shooter will get a gun from his family or friends. Hence the demand to ban guns.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

Simply eliminate gun free zones. Let whomever can be legally armed be so. Teachers, other staff, parents, contractors.

Works for Utah.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
teachers , like airline pilots are not "security " people,
let them do their job,

they are already way under appreciated and over worked / under paid, leave them alone.

Hire security ( that won't freeze up) maybe one for every 40 people on the school grounds, and then raise the taxes to pay for them .

or society could change how people treat each other, that would work too

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone's always known that hardening a school was the best option but no one's ever taken it seriously. This should have been done all across America after Columbine. Now the kids are gonna be sacrificed again and again until we get Democrat approved gun control. Then it'll happen all over again. The libs are never going to do what really works cause there's no agenda with it.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
teachers , like airline pilots are not "security " people,
let them do their job,

they are already way under appreciated and over worked / under paid, leave them alone.

Hire security ( that won't freeze up) maybe one for every 40 people on the school grounds, and then raise the taxes to pay for them .

or society could change how people treat each other, that would work too

One security for each 40 people? That is 75 security for this school alone. It would be one thing if we could eliminate $8-10 million in waste at this school alone, but like all expenditures by government, ome man’s waste is another man’s lifeline.

Concealed carry will not eliminate shootings at schools 100%. If that is the requirement, there will be no solution. We can expect it to reduce the incidents in number, and in casualties where enthusiastically executed.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
"Hardening schools" is not about arming all teachers (as the antis would have us believe is the objective), nor even ensuring an active defense, but deterrence, not presenting a free fire zone to potential assailants looking for unthreatening targets.

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djinco:

I work in a secure building, I have for over 40 years. Security works, you just have to live with it.

I also work in a secure building on a military base. You think I feel safe? We need to have the ability to respond to a threat. If someone wanted to get into a ‘secure’ building to hurt people, they will find a way.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post