SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Headed to Hamburg Germany, where else should we go?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headed to Hamburg Germany, where else should we go? Login/Join 
Picture of lugerguards
posted
My wife has been given the opportunity to run the Hamburg marathon 0n 4/23/17. We will be staying with a host family for up to 7 days. Our thought is since we are paying for the air fare and have a place to lie our heads we will see a little bit more of Europe. my initial thought is fly into Amsterdam or Oslo and kick around there for 2-3 days. its a short/cheap flight to Hamburg. we haven't been given our itinerary for there yet but i will assume we can train it to various locations form our home base. after the marathon we hope to head to another country for 3-5 days. The sister cities in Poland sound cool. any suggestions?

Shawn

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While in Hamburg a must see is their miniatures museum. Truly unbelievable. Here is a video of the museum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACkmg3Y64_s

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you get to Poland, Kraków is a wonderful city to visit. Wife and I both think highly of Munich Germany, also.

Enjoy and stay safe !

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're a car guy, look for one of the manufacturer plants. I did Porsche and a bit of MB last September. Amazing.

Good luck to your wife's race!

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I agree Poland's Krakow is a wonderful city, but If you can get to Prague. Prague is AMAZING.

Berlin though is my favorite European city and it's only a 2 hour train ride from Hamburg. So much to do and see. Excellent public transportation. Berlin is just so easy to visit and see.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Go see St. Michael church in Hamburg and go up to the observation area. Like suggested the miniature muesum is pretty neat. Also go up to the observation area of the new symphony building real good unobstructed views of the water ways and city.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I recommend a day trip to Bremen. The "old town" square and surrounding gothic buildings are amazing. I spent a lot of time there as child.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
German Tank Museum, about an hour south of you off MSR 7. Seriously cool place.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
German Tank Museum, about an hour south of you off MSR 7. Seriously cool place.

I was just going to suggest this. Haven't been there (yet) but hope to someday.

Link

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Amsterdam, Berlin, Budapest, Prague, Vienna - all wonderful for a 2-3 day visit each. Research and take your pick of one or two! Enjoy!

Posts: 1986 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If you are staying north: Kiel, Germany is a pretty cool town and a day trip to Copenhagen, Denmark is easy.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Interläken, Switzerland.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2837 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
There's also a U-boat in Laboe.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I agree Poland's Krakow is a wonderful city, but If you can get to Prague. Prague is AMAZING.

Berlin though is my favorite European city and it's only a 2 hour train ride from Hamburg. So much to do and see. Excellent public transportation. Berlin is just so easy to visit and see.

Agree with the Prague comment. I've been looking forward to going back ever since my last visit there several years back. A truly great city to see.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Have a Hamburger? LOL

BERLIN! Go there.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep them coming. Prague is on the list for the back end of the trip. We are hoping that we can do 2-3 day trips when we are in Hamburg.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Prague, Berlin, Munich, Salzburg, Budapest, Vienna, Cologne (Köln), Krakow, Amsterdam, Paris--every one of those is worth a trip. I have now (since 2015) been to all of them at least once and some of them several times. I have lots of photos of them out on Flickr® and will happily point you to them once you've made some decisions about where you might like to go.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
Interläken, Switzerland.

That was my first vote, but it's a bit south. Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen are stunning.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
And Switzerland is damn expensive.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
There's also a U-boat in Laboe.

There's a u=boat right in the OP's backyard in Chicago! Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post