SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Super-agers and the von Economo neuron
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Super-agers and the von Economo neuron Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I’d never heard of the the “von Economo neuron”.

“Medical experts were stunned when they carried out research on 'super-agers', who despite having many symptoms associated with dementia, seemed not to be affected by the condition.

In spite of the fact many of the super-agers had unhealthy habits including smoking and drinking, researchers found what they had in common was a positive attitude in life and an unusually high proportion of the rare brain called called the von Economo neuron.

Her research found that 71 per cent of super-agers smoked and 83 per cent drank alcohol regularly. However Rogalski estimated that less than five per cent of the population are super-agers. 
The von Economo neurons which were present in super-agers are only found in the brains of large mammals and are believed to offer highspeed connections between different regions within the brain. They are known to develop in the late stages of pregnancy and early childhood and could be down to luck…”

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/art...ws-ageing-brain.html

Wikipedia article about the von Economo neuron:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spindle_neuron

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With my luck, I have the “von rolling coal” genetic variation.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Seems promising.

A small region in Japan has an abundance of Centarians. As does a town in Italy where it is normal for them to live healthy over 100. Wondering why they didn't go into further detail about where the test group had genetic ancestry or environment. Sure, everybody hopes for a long and healthy life.

Given the context of the research, Who is to say birds don't have the von Economo because their cranial architecture doesn't require it. New Caledonian Crows are said to be more intelligent and adaptive than most primates. By the same token, how many people read about Jim the wonder dog and think 'wish I could do that'?

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post