SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Robocaller hit with $120M fine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robocaller hit with $120M fine Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
I have a different idea for punishment.

Obama said ISIS members just needed jobs. Well, I have a job for them. Rape this guy to death.

quote:

The Federal Communications Commission has levied its largest fine ever against a Florida-based robocall network responsible for nearly 100 million calls over the last three months of 2016.

The agency on Thursday proposed a $120 million fine against Adrian Abramovich of Miami, Fla., alleging his operation made 96 million spoofed robocalls during the period in which the FCC's investigation. The calls use "neighborhood spoofing" technology to include local area codes and the first three numbers of the recipient's own phone number to encourage people to answer the calls.

Upon answering, recipients would hear a recorded message asking them to press 1 to hear about vacation deals from travel companies such as Marriott, Expedia, Hilton and TripAdvisor. Callers were then transferred to foreign call centers, including in Mexico, where live operators would try to sell them vacation packages not affiliate with the companies in the recorded messages.

"Unfortunately, many unsuspecting Americans are deceived into taking the bait," said FCC Chairman Ajit Pai. Abramovich "found it profitable to send to these live operators the most vulnerable Americans, typically the elderly, to be bilked out of their hard-earned money," he said. "Many consumers spent from a few hundred up to a few thousand dollars on these “exclusive” vacation packages."

This robocall network also disrupted an emergency medical paging provider, he said. By overloading that paging network, Abramovich could have delayed medical care "making the difference between a patient’s life and death," Pai said.

Robocalls rank as the top consumer complaint received by the FCC, the officials said. "I wish I could promise the American people that today's action will put an end to all unwanted, and as this case makes apparent, dangerous, robocalls," said Commissioner Mignon Clyburn. "Sadly, this notice addresses only a fraction of the 2.6 billion robocalls ... made in the month of May."

But the proposal of the largest fine in FCC history, she said, "shows just how serious we are in stamping out the largest spoofed robocall campaign we have yet to investigate."

Abramovich is charged with violating the Truth in Caller ID Act, which prohibits the deliberate falsification of caller ID information to defraud and harm consumers. In the FCC's first action against a large-scale spoofing operation, the agency verified more than 80,000 calls during the last three months of 2016.

TripAdvisor helped spur the investigation after having many customers calling the travel company complaining about calls offering travel deals. Since the company does not have a telemarketing services, TripAdvisor's own Internet fraud team investigated and turned over its findings to the FCC, said Adam Medros, the company's senior vice president for products.

"Because of the FCC’s prompt action leveraging TripAdvisor’s initial investigation, we believe millions of consumers will be free from these robocalls and will be better protected from others attempting similar tactics in the future," Medros said in a statement.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I got a robo call with my area code and first 3 digits of my mobile yesterday. Pissed me off.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I don't answer any unknown numbers. If it's important they'll leave me a message. If they don't leave a message then obviously it wasn't important.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a better idea. Put him in a closed locked room with several old style telephones (those with loud ringers) and have him suffer constant 24/7 ringing.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I got a robo call with my area code and first 3 digits of my mobile yesterday. Pissed me off.

That is actually how I identify the robocalls now.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I told people prior to the election that if he would have promised to hunt down the ones responsible for the incessant robocalls and other telephone scams and put their heads on pikes, I’d have voted for the ghost of Joseph Stalin. They are without a doubt the greatest First World annoyance there is, especially as I cannot imagine what they accomplish by calling the same unresponsive numbers over and over. Are there really people who hang up or don’t answer at all 50 times in a row, and then say, “Sure, that sounds good to me,” the 51st?

And don’t brag about not having a landline. I do and will continue to have one for various reasons as long as it’s an option, and the robocalls are starting to go directly to my cell anyway. It’s only a matter of time before it becomes common. Nothing, literally nothing, would be enough punishment for me.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Fine is okay. But I want these people behind bars for extended durations. 20 years minimum.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I just got a call about half hour ago Mad

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3474 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Mine stopped about two weeks ago.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I don't answer unknown numbers. My answering message asks the caller to text me.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have about 40 blocked numbers in my blocked contact list with the same first six numbers of my phone number. It's so obvious it's a spoof I can't believe there are people out there who fall for it.

quote:
"Unfortunately, many unsuspecting Americans are deceived into taking the bait," said FCC Chairman Ajit Pai. Abramovich "found it profitable to send to these live operators the most vulnerable Americans, typically the elderly, to be bilked out of their hard-earned money," he said. "Many consumers spent from a few hundred up to a few thousand dollars on these “exclusive” vacation packages."

I mean seriously, get a clue, will ya?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
So do those of us that get these calls collect a share of the cash or does it just go into the government coffers?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Despite renewing her number monthly, on the Do Not Call List site. My 90 yr old Mother gets 4-10 calls per day. She lives in a retirement community and I swear they KNOW they are targeting older people. One of her friends took the bait on the "Your Grandson needs Bail money" call to the tune of $2K.

I can't understand WHY these guys aren't easier to catch and prosecute?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Why isn't call spoofing itself illegal? I get robocalls constantly on my cell with spoofed Maine numbers. I literally haven't lived in Maine in years, and everyone I know there has my number, so why does a guy in NC get a metric ass ton of robocalls from a "Maine" number? Not that getting a robocall from another area code is any better, but the fact that they are trying to hide their identity right off the bad should tell you they are up to no good.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I get more of these spam calls on my cell phone than on my land line.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can top that. A couple weeks ago I got the area code, first three, AND last four. Yeah, I did a double take as I looked at my own phone number.
I had to quickly decide if it was future me calling myself to tell me something important. I may have hung up on myself.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Maybe this will stop those annoying calls from the IRS.

I mean, I've already paid them (twice now) with the specified amount in Target Gift Cards! Razz

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Penalties and fines only affect those who can pay them.
This is basically nothing.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've been getting lots of those for the last six months - followed about an hour later by another robocall from an entirely different state

seem to get them in pairs

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
been trying to find a photo of this asshole

make him easier to find for some of the locals who might be really pissed

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post