SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for advice dealing with a bad car mechanic....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for advice dealing with a bad car mechanic.... Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Personally, I'm done haggling with thieves and morons from dealerships. If you paid for the initial repair with a credit card (I always use my AMEX card for these types of charges), I'd call the credit card company and put the charge in contention. They'll charge back the dealership for the amount, and then you can go resolve the issue however you like. Trust me, the dealership will be far more interested in resolving this issue with you if you take this approach. Screw begging them to do what's right or spending days of your time chasing this issue up the corporate tree.

This is an attractive idea, but I wonder what will happen if the dealership files a Mechanic's Lien for non-payment? Maybe a lawyer type from New Mexico can comment.
Why would they? There's a far simpler approach for them. It works like this. Dealership calls noting issue when they are advised of the disputed charge. You respond and explain situation. Final step is usually a final visit with the service manager (or GM in my case) to finalize how this will be resolved. I did this on one of my wife's cars, and agreed to pay for parts only (i.e. no labor charges). It was in the best interest of the dealership to accept this deal, and simply make a bad situation of their making, go away.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After you talk to dealer #1, the next step should be their insurance company. They are insured for things like this. Sometimes even the threat of filing a claim against their insurance is motivation for them to help.

The important thing is to not let dealer #2 do anything until things have been straightened out.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Just what repair cost $1800?

That's what I what to know. Good lord.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not think one can obtain a mechanic's lien until they have a judgement. Filing a dispute with the CC is an excellent idea, you usually have 45 days to do this.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Just what repair cost $1800?

That's what I what to know. Good lord.

The only radiator they had available was an after market one that cost 900 dollars...

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post