SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honestly, how many of you don't know what a....
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Honestly, how many of you don't know what a.... Login/Join 
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
Nope, never heard of it. Besides, me giving up sugary foods for Lent would be like a nun giving up sex, no real point or additional sacrifice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of them. I grew up near Pennsylvania Dutch country (though I'm Catholic), so it was all about fastnachts for me.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Report This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
paczki is the 2nd tier Fat Tuesday dessert. King's Cake is THE Fat Tuesday dessert.

It is a 1st tier BREAKFAST!

Posts: 13676 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
What's the big deal about a jelly doughnut?

Comparing paczki (singular: paczek, pronounced [approximately] "poonchkee" and "pooncheck," respectively) to a jelly doughnut would be like equating a filet mignon to a microwaved gas station hamburger Wink

The "big deal" is they're made only at one time during the year, and properly-made paczki are delicious.

quote:
I think they kinda suck personally, but I don't really like dessert food or pastries.

If you don't like dessert foods or pastries then I can understand why you wouldn't like paczki.

For those who do like that kind of thing: If you've never had real paczki, made in a proper bakery or pasty shop, but, only the garden variety things that claim to be paczki, typically found in supermarkets and most doughnut shops: Then you don't know what you're missing.

My wife, not wishing to stand in line to acquire the Real Thing, Monday, decided to put the stand mixer I got her for Christmas to good use, and made her own. Holy tamole! Best paczki I've ever had in my life!

We gave most of 'em away. The lucky recipients agreed with me Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Nope. Ya ain't from around here, are ya son?

Wink Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Never mind that, what is Fat Tuesday?

Bob
It's the day before Lent starts. Some Christian denominations give up something (eg sweets) during the 40 days of Lent. When they crave it they're supposed to pray.

Therefore, some people gorge themselves on rich, fatty, sugary foods on Fat Tuesday and King's cake and Paczki are two of the most popular Fat Tuesday sweets.

Most faiths give up meat. Which is why the Greek version of Fat Tuesday is pretty much an orgy of meat.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I KNOW!! I KNOW!!!!

A Cab driver in New York?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We got some this year as usual, from a local bakery with a good reputation.

Didn't help. One per year is my limit, and that's just to be gracious to my girlfriend. They're way too doughy for me.

I'm going to tell her about Ensigmatic's idea, though. She's good at improving existing recipes, and got a top-of-the-line Kitchen Aide blender a couple months ago. There's hope for me yet!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Around here it's Fasnachts that are the big thing for Shrove Tuesday/Fat Tuesday

Fastnacht (Pennsylvania Dutch)

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I KNOW!! I KNOW!!!!

A Cab driver in New York?

Not as many as you'd think

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9142 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Therefore, some people gorge themselves on rich, fatty, sugary foods on Fat Tuesday and King's cake and Paczki are two of the most popular Fat Tuesday sweets.

It comes from the days then things like fat and sugar were not allowed to be eaten during Lent, so the people would make things to use all that up with before the Lenten season started rather than throw it away or let it go bad. Hence things like cake and donuts.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I always pick up a few at Goodales Bakery in Grayling. Should probably stick to just one!

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Report This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Nope never heard of one, never had one.

Somehow I'm still kickin'

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots made here in the Yoop.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16062 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
i was up early Tuesday so I hit the Polish deli at 06:00 and waited in line for a dozen. They where good but not as good as my buddies Babcha makes. i am actually spoiled that his sisters and mother still make them. And when they do none of that silly glaze or fruit n them, plain jane with powder sugar. Pure Heaven men. pure heaven.......

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
had to look it up , the czech's had something very similar.

Mm m m m m m m m pastries

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
What's the big deal about a jelly doughnut?

Comparing paczki (singular: paczek, pronounced [approximately] "poonchkee" and "pooncheck," respectively) to a jelly doughnut would be like equating a filet mignon to a microwaved gas station hamburger Wink

The "big deal" is they're made only at one time during the year, and properly-made paczki are delicious.

quote:
I think they kinda suck personally, but I don't really like dessert food or pastries.

If you don't like dessert foods or pastries then I can understand why you wouldn't like paczki.

For those who do like that kind of thing: If you've never had real paczki, made in a proper bakery or pasty shop, but, only the garden variety things that claim to be paczki, typically found in supermarkets and most doughnut shops: Then you don't know what you're missing.

My wife, not wishing to stand in line to acquire the Real Thing, Monday, decided to put the stand mixer I got her for Christmas to good use, and made her own. Holy tamole! Best paczki I've ever had in my life!

We gave most of 'em away. The lucky recipients agreed with me Smile

I hope you are using lard to fry them in!

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lugerguards:

Nope. She used peanut oil.

Didn't claim they were traditional--just very, very good. Brought over a dozen into work, to give away. Got the same reactions.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Eh? A what? Is that like a bronski?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by lugerguards:

Nope. She used peanut oil.

Didn't claim they were traditional--just very, very good. Brought over a dozen into work, to give away. Got the same reactions.

Sorry that wasn't meant in a judgmental tone. I shouldn't admit to eating items made with or fried in lard lol.

Nothing here to see!