SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How likely is it to ever meet and ATF officer?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How likely is it to ever meet and ATF officer? Login/Join 
posted
I am thinking the most likely and only way (for a non-FFL person) would be for someone to call them on you.

I always wonder how much we overly concern ourselves with some of the more minor rules.

922(r) compliancy is one example.

I am not recommending any illegal activity just making conversation.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
I know one in St Augustine.... He's a shooter and a good guy.

Posts: 672 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I knew one in NC, I met him as a cop because my department gave him an office to work out of. He was a rabid gun hating man.

I met another agent when he visited my buddy’s gun store- he was a well mannered guy who loved guns and helped the owner stay within regs so his shop would stay open.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one time, the local ATF office would set up a booth at Pima County gun shows. (Crossroads of the West) Table was manned by young fellows who really liked guns.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The audit officers I've come across at friend's gun shops were, if they weren't 'gun guys' were simply accountants of a different stripe; checking ledgers and looking for administrative compliance. Heard stories (rumor) that some were very eager to find any mis-step that could result in punitive and financial penalties, likely they were set upon those license holders they were looking to close.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
... Heard stories (rumor) that some were very eager to find any mis-step that could result in punitive and financial penalties, likely they were set upon those license holders they were looking to close.

Not my experience with the Industry Operations Investigators (IOIs).

My interactions with them have been they are professionals in compliance assurance.

Moreover, they were an honest broker, more interested in leaving alone the licensee who makes an honest mistake and allowing them (the IOIs) to focus on the people who shouldn't have a license. In fact, in my experience if you make an honest mistake and they find it, if you own it (and its not something like dozens of missing guns - yes, I have heard of instances just like that) they are more interested in discussing how to prevent it from happening again.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The only ATF guys I've ever seen were in Gun Show booths.

I'm sure they'll be the only ones I'll ever see.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I met one socially many, many years ago at a beach party. I asked him about Waco, as there was a Pensacola connection. I asked: Were the wind-up trigger-pushing devices the Branch Davidians used to simulate auto-fire illegal? He said absolutely not. Nice guy, easy to talk with off-duty.

As to the concern about pissing off an enforcer of business regulations: Doesn't really matter, if you don't go all postal. Ask yourself: "Do you think a Federal inspector would overlook an infraction just because you are a nice guy?"

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I met 2 of them several years ago, when they paid me a visit asking info on 2 guns I sold years prior that ended up in Mexico. I told them if they checked with Eric. J/k on the last part.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I met 2 of them several years ago, when they paid me a visit asking info on 2 guns I sold years prior that ended up in Mexico. I told them if they checked with Eric. J/k on the last part.

That's funny.

The thread is going how I thought it would. Pretty low odds of ever having an interaction.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
They're kinda shy.

Be aware, spot one ... turn quickly, wave and belt out a hearty

"HOWDY, NEIGHBOR!"

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Had my kids at an outdoor range with our sbrs and suppressors and one walked up and identified himself to us.

Said he had his dad there with him who didn't think it was legal so he just asked me to tell his dad how I got them. I just said I have stamps for all of them and let his dad shoot a few. They gave us ammo back. he never asked to see my stamps.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I snaked out a sewer for a local BATFE guy. So fat he could hardly walk from his car to the house without stopping to catch his breath.
I know I could outrun that guy and I'm 68.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

I went past the ATF booth at a local Gun Show and one of the ATF guys asked if I had any questions. I told him no. He said something like, come on, I know you have a question, I can see it in your eyes.

So I said okay, How's that Fast and Furious thing working out for you.

End of conversation.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Many of us may never encounter an ATF agent.

And I am sure that vast numbers of gun crimes are committed every day that ATF never detects. Just imagine how many weed smokers lie on the 4473 about not smoking weed. Virtually none of them will get caught and even if the ATF found out, they may not act, but I wouldn't counsel anyone to do it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

I went past the ATF booth at a local Gun Show and one of the ATF guys asked if I had any questions. I told him no. He said something like, come on, I know you have a question, I can see it in your eyes.

So I said okay, How's that Fast and Furious thing working out for you.

End of conversation.

That's exactly how we should treat them. Any officer with honor, would resign the position and work for a real LE department.

The FBI is not far behind in that status. To stay, is to agree with those undermining our constitution and attacking our citizens. Their credibility is lost, they are covered in the shit they have created, and anyone who stays has shit all over them. They should be shunned...at best.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Two showed up at my house late one evening and I'm pretty sure they wanted to put me in jail. This was 20 years ago and a very long story and I won't bore you with it, I learned a valuable lesson and paid an attorney some serious money. I belonged to the OGCA and my cousin from Pittsburgh wanted to go to a show. I got him a guest pass and we went to Columbus. At the show we both bought new 9 mm Taurus's. What I didn't know was the dealer called them both in under my name because my cousin couldn't legally purchase it. I had no idea he did this. We both got receipts and thank God I saved mine. Fast forward about 15 years and my cousin was robbed, the 9 mm was stolen then used in a crime. It was a mess. I can remember the quote one of the agents used: He said there are 3 possible outcomes, your cousin could go to jail, you could go to jail, or you both are going to jail. He also said that if someone would have gotten shot with it they would have came to my house and would have drug me out of bed.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
hopefully unlikely. I like my dog.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
Two showed up at my house late one evening and I'm pretty sure they wanted to put me in jail. This was 20 years ago and a very long story and I won't bore you with it, I learned a valuable lesson and paid an attorney some serious money. I belonged to the OGCA and my cousin from Pittsburgh wanted to go to a show. I got him a guest pass and we went to Columbus. At the show we both bought new 9 mm Taurus's. What I didn't know was the dealer called them both in under my name because my cousin couldn't legally purchase it. I had no idea he did this. We both got receipts and thank God I saved mine. Fast forward about 15 years and my cousin was robbed, the 9 mm was stolen then used in a crime. It was a mess. I can remember the quote one of the agents used: He said there are 3 possible outcomes, your cousin could go to jail, you could go to jail, or you both are going to jail. He also said that if someone would have gotten shot with it they would have came to my house and would have drug me out of bed.

I bet that is how a lot of federal gun crime on a "consumer" level comes to light. They don't know, and have no way of knowing there has possibly been a crime until something else prompts them to look at any given transaction.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:

Seems they missed a couple of other possible outcomes...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post