SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Friendy reminder: This is why we don't get in front of a revolver cylinder. (Graphic)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friendy reminder: This is why we don't get in front of a revolver cylinder. (Graphic) Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
Jr df #3 shooting a revolver today. Had a hang fire. When the cartridge didn't discharge, he did almost everything right. Almost. The round discharged just as he was preparing to swing the cylinder out. He placed a finger out in front of the cylinder and this is what happened.

Now he knows why I bug him about safety gear and careful handling. He'll live. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Very lucky (and glad to hear) it wasn't worse.

Rub some dirt on it and carry on. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could've been a lot worse and I'm glad it wasn't. DF Jr #3 will never forget this lesson and that's a good thing.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Looks like it will smart for a while, but probably no permanent damage. I’m sorry it happened, glad it wasn’t worse.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A small dab of Bondo and some Duct Tape will fix that right quick.

Actually as someone with a lifetime of machining and shaping steel I've had similar injuries and after 2 weeks the only thing noticeable is the scab. Wait another week and that will fall off. BTW, it will probably leave a small scar but not enough to be concerned about.

As for the lesson learned I'll bet he be a lot less inpatient with a potential hang fire in the future.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curious, how long did it take to go off? I’ve never had a hangfire. I try to be ready for them.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
Curious, how long did it take to go off? I’ve never had a hangfire. I try to be ready for them.

Seems longer, but probably 30 seconds.

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Has DF jr had a tetanus shot recently?

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:

Seems longer, but probably 30 seconds.
Wow, I had no idea it could be that long.
30 seconds is longer than I would have thought.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Can you tell us what ammunition was involved?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Sure glad he is still in one piece !

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Has DF jr had a tetanus shot recently?

Yep. He's up to date on all that stuff. Mrs df usually handles these things, but she's visiting df#2 In Texas. We texted some pics to her and she said to take him into her clinic. They worked him over and sent him home with antibiotics and some instructions for ibuprofen and acetaminophen doses. He's sleeping peacefully now with a belly full of pizza. Now I get to clean all of the guns and put everything away. Typical. He gets all of the attention and I get all of the work. Bleh.

I am glad it wasn't worse. Bet he doesn't hack on me anymore for wearing gloves when I shoot lol.

ETA: He was using some new old stock ammo I bought some years ago. I think it's called Aguila or something. 357 rem mag. I forget the grain weight. They were just paper punching loads.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
"belly full of pizza" Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
"belly full of pizza" Big Grin

Big Grin

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I think it's called Aguila or something.

Thanks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Scary. Glad he is OK.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Firing them in a totally dark room and watch the blast from the cylinder gap. You'll see a nice blast coming out.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I was shooting my .45 Colt at the NRA range and the sixties something guy in the next lane says, Hey, I don't want at alarm you, but there's flame coming out the side of your gun when you shoot".

I'd have thought a guy that age might have experienced a revolver before.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ouch.

Close call.

Thank goodness it's not worse.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a contractor/consultant in at work last week. He had a finger on his left hand, the end fully wrapped up.
He was out at night, at the deer camp, after a marauding raccoon with a .357 and a flashlight. Trying for a two handed braced hold, he got the fingers to close to the muzzle.....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post