SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Power of Steam
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Power of Steam Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I rode this one last year. We just got tickets for this year. It is the train the Polar Express book and movie were based on. Love the sound when it moves.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/C0ZS9sx6hy4

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention when that one runs, people set up all along the few miles of track to take pics.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I love the BB also. Have a train layout in O scale and have one of the first BB that Lionel produced, its 42" long and I have it pulling 33 cars. All 33 are Christmas cars, one for every year I have been collecting. Have a handful of other articulated engines also. Next Wednesday I am riding the GSMR train, it has a steam engine as well.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
The Polar Express engine above is Pere Marquette 1225 a 2-8-4 Berkshire. The other famous Berkshire is NKP 765. I really like this fly by of it:

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
I’m curious. Does anyone make a diesel/electric locomotive with the same power as the steam locomotive in the video?

You just hook three or four or five diesels together. Steam is impressive, but diesel/electric is superior in every practical way.

Don't get me wrong, watching a steam locomotive is like nothing else.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post