SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CPAP Users, Let’s Talk Gear
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CPAP Users, Let’s Talk Gear Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I’m now 22 days into my new life of being a CPAP user and slowly getting used to it. I’m finding that I’m sleeping deeper than I have in years and been having some pretty interesting dreams which I think is a good sign because I can’t remember dreaming much before going on it.

I wanted to talk gear, specifically masks. What do all you guys who use CPAP like?

They set me up with a Philips Resperonics DreamWear full face mask, a kinda weird design with the hose on top of your head instead of being in front.

Was looking at switching to a ResMed AirTouch F20 which has memory foam cushions instead of silicone and is supposed to be very comfortable. Does anyone here use that one?

What about a CPAP cleaning machine? Are they worth it? The idea of having to disassemble and wash all this every night is just not feasible for me time-wise.

What I have now and think is OK but could do better:

What I’m looking at switching to:

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I used a Respironics Comfort gel over the nose mask for decades (since 1997) until folks here alerted me to the Dreamware nasal mask almost 4 years ago. I use it with their improved headgear with arms and have absolutely no desire to try something else.

OLD

NEW

You seem to have been prescribed an over the nose/mouth unit. I take it that you're unable to use just a nose/nasal system which leaves your mouth unencumbered. My mouth remains closed when I sleep so I don't need the style you wear. And therefore have no experience with which to share.

That said I can tell you that front mounted hoses are a PITA compared to top of the head designs. You could NEVER get me to go back.

I live in a low humidity environment, clean my gear weekly (used to be vinegar-water bath but now the manufacturer says a Dawn soak is fine, so...). I bought an inexpensive ozone style cleaner but found it really doesn't add anything to the equation so I rarely use it. If you clean your gear properly and frequently you really don't need one.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
I wash mine once every 1-2 weeks. Every day is crazy.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2245 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
I have a resmed f20. I've actually been looking at getting something else looking for better comfort.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

You seem to have been prescribed an over the nose/mouth unit. I take it that you're unable to use just a nose/nasal system which leaves your mouth unencumbered. My mouth remains closed when I sleep so I don't need the style you wear. And therefore have no experience with which to share.

That said I can tell you that front mounted hoses are a PITA compared to top of the head designs. You could NEVER get me to go back.

Yes, I tend to breathe through my mouth quite a bit which is why the full face mask. I recently found out from all my doctor visits leading up to the sleep apnea diagnosis that I have a severely deviated septum, I basically can only breathe through one nostril and it’s been that way for as long as I can remember.

So you’re saying the top hose design is better? I tend to sleep 50% of the time on my back and 50% of the time on my side, not sure if that would be harder with a front hose design?

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I use the Dream Wear Nasal Pillows and I'm really happy with it. I'm a side sleeper, never on my back or stomach.

I do use a chin strap, a very simple one, to help keep my mouth shut while sleeping. It's a separate item, but just a very simple and inexpensive thing. My equipment provider sticks one in my 6 month resupply. There are fancier ones if you need them.

Some people can sleep without opening their mouth, some have issues with that. If your mouth has a tendency to open, even slightly, it defeats the whole idea of the machine providing forced air to help you.

My sleep doc and provider tell me to, every morning, remove the water chamber and dump it out, then sit it on a clean towel to air dry.

Then remove the hose from the machine and hang it up by the middle of the hose and let it air dry out. I have one of those over the door hook things for this.

Once a week or two I take my biggest kitchen bowl, fill it with quite warm water, a few drops of Dawn dish detergent, and some vinegar at a 20% vinegar/80% water ratio, stir around and soak the head gear and water chamber for awhile, then rinse well, and finally sit out to dry on a clean towel.

BTW I have a cpap pillow. It has a curved piece cut out of each front corner so the hose has a place to sit without mashing into my head. I got it my my equipment provider.

Find out the name of the person most knowledgeable at your equipment provider, mine is a certified respiratory tech. I've learned to ask for her instead of just the "order taker phone person". I think the ideal situation is a well established local operation instead of one of the giant nationwide providers, I firmly believe you get far better advice and service when you cultivate a personal relationship, so to speak, that way. When you have questions or problems that person is invaluable. It eliminates wrong or misleading answers, service issues, etc.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

So you’re saying the top hose design is better? I tend to sleep 50% of the time on my back and 50% of the time on my side, not sure if that would be harder with a front hose design?

I sleep exactly the same way as you. And yes, with the "improved headgear with arms," which prevents the head strap from riding up the back of your head and pictured below, I find there is much much less tangling and pulling of the hose on my pillow.

I assume the same improved headgear is available for your full nose/mouth Respironics Dreamwear mask.

Oh and I have a severely deviated septum too. The military screwed up an attempt to fix it in the late '70s. With a nasal pillow style mask I'm good to go regardless of the septum issue. You might have your local durable medical goods apnea tech fit you with one to try. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I have the Resmed Swift fx nose pillow mask. I have used it for over 7 years. I actually got a new machine in November after my last one had 22000 hours
I clean the mask 2 times a week with alcohol and
qtips. A friend just gave me a so clean I run the mask in it once a week

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
My daily mask for a number of years has been the ResMed P10.

I started CPAP therapy 15+ years ago thought I needed a full mask as well since I was a mouth breather. Turns out the mouth breathing was a result of my apnea and unless I am having sinus problems or stuffed up with a cold, I have no problem with nasal pillows. This was a big improvement as I tend to sleep on my side and full face mask tends to break seal.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Resmed Airfit N20 has been working well for me for a few months now. I'm really liking it.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
During my initial sleep test, they first fit me with a full nose + mouth mask. Then they woke me to switch to a nose hook-up / aka nasal pillow (AirFit P10) and that's what I went with and what I've been using. The straps are cloth and easy to clean in a tub of dish washing soapy water, and when you clean them they dry tighter and helps to keep the fit - so I've found that having a freshly cleaned strap twice a week keeps it nice and tight.

I'm always striving to get zero leaks per minute, and have been successful many times. I do wear the mouth strap velcro thing to keep my mouth closed. Also use a sleep mask which helps.

Just the other night I awoke fully wrapped in the tube - rolled over completely. This happens once in a blue moon - and I still only had 1 L/min.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on a BIPAP machine and the pressures are higher than I think a regular CPAP machine runs, so the mask and headgear fit tighter. I use an Amara View full face mask - the hose connects on the front, but it hasn't been a problem despite my rolling around and mostly sleeping on my side.

When I started this stuff a couple years ago I was pretty anal about cleaning. Now I don't do more than a daily wipe of the mask with CPAP wipes I buy on Amazon. Biggest thing for keeping the mask leakage low is changing the mask every month; they really do wear out and 30 days is about the limit. First of the month maintenance is new mask and new filter on the machine. Every six months for new headgear, including hoses. Once a year new humidifier reservoir. I suppose I'd get more conscientious about cleaning if nose/sinus problems started cropping up, but they have not so far.

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I use a traditional nasal mask. I tried the nasal pillow for about a year and found it leaky, and it almost always was all wonky on my head by the time I woke up. Nasal pillow works better if I didn't shave. The nasal mask can slip if I go too long without shaving.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Day_late:
I'm on a BIPAP machine and the pressures are higher than I think a regular CPAP machine runs, so the mask and headgear fit tighter. I use an Amara View full face mask - the hose connects on the front, but it hasn't been a problem despite my rolling around and mostly sleeping on my side.

When I started this stuff a couple years ago I was pretty anal about cleaning. Now I don't do more than a daily wipe of the mask with CPAP wipes I buy on Amazon. Biggest thing for keeping the mask leakage low is changing the mask every month; they really do wear out and 30 days is about the limit. First of the month maintenance is new mask and new filter on the machine. Every six months for new headgear, including hoses. Once a year new humidifier reservoir. I suppose I'd get more conscientious about cleaning if nose/sinus problems started cropping up, but they have not so far.

I’m going on 8 or 9 years now. I used to be pretty anal about cleaning. Still have whatever the popular $300 or whatever ozone thing is.

I’ve found that the above is about right. I make sure the hose can dry out, wipe down the nasal pillows daily, and infrequent with a Clorox wipe, and replace it liberally when I think it’s needed. Monthly at least.

I clean the reservoir when needed, rinsing it and allowing it to dry on a towel on occasion. I only use distilled water. Can probably count on two hands the number of times I’ve had to use tap in 8 years due to poor planning while traveling or accidentally running out, and followed up with a good clean. I replace it at whatever the allowed insurance interval is.

I’ve not had any problems with my approach. I think showering every time before I go to bed helps, and addressing any issues as they come up immediately.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!

Yes, the whole "you must dissemble everything and wash in soapy water EVERY DAY" thing ain't happening. I'll get the wipes and look at getting one of those fancy ozone machines someday.

Based on the feedback about the top hose being much better to sleep with than the front hose, I've decided to try this one. It's basically a copy of the Philips DreamWear (or maybe Philips copied ResMed!) but has much more robust and larger side air tubes which I think can only help when I roll to my side. The tube on the pillow side does tend to get pinched off a bit and the other side is supposed to compensate, but I'm not convinced that is actually happening with the Philips mask.

ResMed AirFit F30i:

Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
My ResMed 9 crapped out (suddenly) and I purchased a ResMed 10. Much quieter.

Before you decide to use a cleaner, check the impact on the warranty. The medical device store I go to shared the following:
> They sell the highly advertised ozone cleaning machine (which I had been using)
> They'd been tracking their warranty claims on the ResMed 10s and a very high percentage of the people with problems use that cleaner.
> The company that makes the cleaner will make good on any failure in the warranty period - I was told ResMed's position is the use of that cleaner voids the warranty. However, it will take at least 30 days to resolve the claim (meaning I'd need to rent something for at least a month)
> On the other hand, if there was a problem in the warranty period and I didn't use the cleaner, most of the time they can trade out a ResMed 10 on the spot.

I haven't' used the Ozone cleaner with my ResMed 10. Back to hand washing.

Regarding masks - very personal decision. Some places will let you try a couple masks before making a final decision. I've always used a nasal mask.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I said it before and I'll say it again. Roll Eyes
UNLESS you are experiencing repetitive respiratory distress you do not need a CPAP Cleaner! Cool
Ordinary dish soap to clean your mask/tube is all that you need. With the money I just saved you,9mm or .223 ammo donation can be sent to me! (email in profile for my mailing address)
Big Grin

Now for those that use a nasal mask or nasal Pillow the NEW DreamWear Gel Pillows are giving me GREAT feedback from patients.
For those that use a Full Face Mask, they offer on for you too!

https://www.usa.philips.com/c-...lows.html#how_to_buy

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8342 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You won't mouth-breath with nasal pillows. You can try, but it ain't happening. I was going to get a mouth-covering mask as a backup in case of congestion, but as long as I can breath when I put the mask on, the pressure keeps me clear.

I have one of the little $50 ozone machines I use whenever I change pillows/mask/hose - much less frequently than lincare would like.... It helps to get the new-plastic smell out.
I hose it out in the sink occasionally, maybe 1x per month or 2. I don't find it dirty/smelly, unless I let the reservoir run dry, then it slightly smells like something burning.
Cleaning daily is a way to sell cleaning supplies. The so-clean/daily ozone is nuts, I ain't breathing ozone.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I’m now 22 days into my new life of being a CPAP user and slowly getting used to it. I’m finding that I’m sleeping deeper than I have in years and been having some pretty interesting dreams which I think is a good sign because I can’t remember dreaming much before going on it.

I wanted to talk gear, specifically masks. What do all you guys who use CPAP like?

They set me up with a Philips Resperonics DreamWear full face mask, a kinda weird design with the hose on top of your head instead of being in front.

Was looking at switching to a ResMed AirTouch F20 which has memory foam cushions instead of silicone and is supposed to be very comfortable. Does anyone here use that one?

What about a CPAP cleaning machine? Are they worth it? The idea of having to disassemble and wash all this every night is just not feasible for me time-wise.

What I’m looking at switching to:

I have what you are looking at switching to.

Works great for me! Pop off the inner face mask weekly and wash in

warm soapy water, rinse and dry. Easy peasy.

The dreams are great! So is the uninterrupted sleep.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Been using the Full face about 8 years. I found RemZzzs Mask Liners and they have made a huge difference for mask leaking and feel. You can get a Free Sample (6ea). I hand wash the Mask with liquid hand soap daily along with the RemZzzs Mask Liner. Hang to dry. Once a month a Mask tear down, hose and humidifier in ACV and rinse good. I'm an oily old critter and have to wash my face before I mask up.

RemZzzs Mask Liners changed my life. Leaking masks are horrible.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post